Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 'How I Met Your Mother' creators apologize for 'racism'

1. -21
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    I've seen maybe 30 seconds of this show and had no interest continuing it years ago. The bit the article is referencing sounds like a terrible comedic effort in writing and I'm sure it was even worse when it was created on screen (despite the laugh track telling you otherwise).

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No it's PC bullsh** that isn't racist at all. It's very possible to make fun of people without it being racist. It's been done countless times throughout recent history and still to this day. Unfortunately nowadays it's FAR more offensive to the point of nonsense. Racism has become far too broad and people far too sensitive. This coming from someone who's experienced racism first hand a few times. If this is your standard?? It doesn't even register on my scale.

So is 3 Amigos equally racist??

If so I'm launching a campaign to have Three Amigos removed from Netflix and all Red Boxes. I'm also launching a campaign against Speedy Gonzalez ,who's cleary a racist, along with banning the term "Mariachi" Band. We will replace it with "Happy Mexicans Who Love To Play Music For Gringos Band".
    Seriously. Who are you to say the show was/wasn't being racist to actual Asian people? And Speedy Gonzalez is racist to who, Mexican/Mexican-Amercians? Are you either?
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you think this is racist then you have become to PC and far too sensitive like Charlie just said in the clip. It's called taking a joke. People who are incapable of that are douches.
    If the guy is in interview's opinion is valid and should be taken seriously, why aren't the people in the article who were offended's opinion not also be valid and taken seriously?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Seriously. Who are you to say the show was/wasn't being racist to actual Asian people? And Speedy Gonzalez is racist to who, Mexican/Mexican-Amercians? Are you either?
    I'm of Latin and Native American dissent. Yes I love to drink. No I won't mow your lawn.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didn't see the episode. I like sit-coms as a creative vehicle but comedy can be a tough line to walk between funny and offensive. I don't think the writers at CBS would deliberately try to offend but it can happen.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    If the guy is in interview's opinion is valid and should be taken seriously, why aren't the people in the article who were offended's opinion not also be valid and taken seriously?
    Because it's not racism!!!

You have to excuse me but I haven't noticed at any point where I said "these people" weren't entitled to their opinion. If you can refresh me with said notion I would be most grateful. I'm just giving my opinion of their opinion. Where's the problem?? Anyone could be offended, happens all the time. My broccoli beef is that this offence doesn't rise to the level of racism. Sorry I don't see it. All I see is a bunch of chop sticks when all I need is a knife (Alanis Morissette)

A comedy show that does parodies and jokes about everything and everyone all the time. Isn't racist when they happen to do a bit about Kung Fu and Asians in jest. It doesn't even fit the standard definition of racism..........

RACISM = poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

IMO if you really think that this bit hits that definition of racism and these writers are no different than the KKK, who think Asians are 2nd class citizens strictly because of race. And are totally doing this out of hate of another race of human beings.

Then I got a box of tissues for you, just my opinion.

My point and opinion of their opinion is this......don't say something or someone is racist when it really isn't. And maybe people should grow thicker skin and learn how to take a joke. Because that's all it is.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 01-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    If that is an indirect way of calling me a douche, stop being a "pansy"/"wuss" about it.

I wasn't really offended by it, but I'm not Asian and I didn't grow up as one, being constantly bombarded by condescending stereotypes. I'm not in the business of telling people what they can and can't be offended by. You apparently are. By all means, stay angry about this. Shake your fists in the air. Let them know you want to ridicule their race and their culture and you damn well better be allowed to! Demand that HIMYM rescind their apology! Fight the power!
    Quit getting your panties in a wad.

This isn't about ridiculing a race or culture. It's about taking a joke and having thicker skin. And most importantly....not saying something is racist when it really isn't. If you think this fits the definition of racism then I say this..........

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What up Walrus!!!!

How's that privacy thing going???
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quit getting your panties in a wad.

This isn't about ridiculing a race or culture. It's about taking a joke and having thicker skin. And most importantly....not saying something is racist when it really isn't. If you think this fits the definition of racism then I say this..........

It's quite clear who is getting their panties in a wad in here

Hey, look, another 80's movie. And hey, look, there you go telling others what they can and cannot be offended by. How is that fist waving going? Have they rescinded their apology yet? You sure seem offended by it. Maybe you need thicker skin?

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    It's quite clear who is getting their panties in a wad in here

Hey, look, another 80's movie. And hey, look, there you go telling others what they can and cannot be offended by. How is that fist waving going? Have they rescinded their apology yet? You sure seem offended by it. Maybe you need thicker skin?
    So let me get this straight?????

They can have their opinion but I can't have my opinion about their direct opinion???

Is that how this works??

Or are you strawmanning and deflecting the point like Shinobi deflects darts??

Straight up does this Kung Fu bit meet the standard definition of racism as told by http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism??

Answer the question.

If so then my argument is quite valid.

Quote Quote