Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'How I Met Your Mother' creators apologize for 'racism'

1. -31
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    So let me get this straight?????

They can have their opinion but I can't have my opinion about their direct opinion???

Is that how this works??

Or are you strawmanning and deflecting the point like Shinobi deflects darts??

Straight up does this Kung Fu bit meet the standard definition of racism as told by http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism??

Answer the question.

If so then my argument is quite valid.

I love how anytime someone is losing an argument, they immediately start throwing out "strawman." Can you at least read up on some other fallacies to throw out in an attempt to avoid having to discuss the topic? Hell, I'm sure there's a name for that fallacy.

Still funny that you are by far the most angry person in all of this. Settle down Francis. (since you are so fond of 80's movies)

The show made fun of stereotypes that many Asians feel are degrading. They gave themselves stereotypical Asian facial features, which was the equivalent of blackface (yellowface as some have called it). Does that fit that definition? I don't really give a ****. Does "racial stereotyping" make you feel better? Is this a semantics argument now? How about caricaturing a culture, which is condescending, which indicates a feeling of superiority, therefore fitting under that definition. The fact is, many in the Asian community were offended by it. You are saying they shouldn't have been, ergo, you are telling them what they can and can't be offended by.

On a side note, I'm not watching any of the youtube stuff you post, so no need to bother yourself looking for it.

Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I love how anytime someone is losing an argument, they immediately start throwing out "strawman." Can you at least read up on some other fallacies to throw out in an attempt to avoid having to discuss the topic? Hell, I'm sure there's a name for that fallacy.

Still funny that you are by far the most angry person in all of this. Settle down Francis. (since you are so fond of 80's movies)

The show made fun of stereotypes that many Asians feel are degrading. They gave themselves stereotypical Asian facial features, which was the equivalent of blackface (yellowface as some have called it). Does that fit that definition? I don't really give a ****. Does "racial stereotyping" make you feel better? Is this a semantics argument now? How about caricaturing a culture, which is condescending, which indicates a feeling of superiority, therefore fitting under that definition. The fact is, many in the Asian community were offended by it. You are saying they shouldn't have been, ergo, you are telling them what they can and can't be offended by.

On a side note, I'm not watching any of the youtube stuff you post, so no need to bother yourself looking for it.

If you think this Kung Fu parody meets the threshold of racism. Then you're far to sensitive and I question if you really know or even experienced what racism is. Tell me how do you do a Kung Fu parody without using sterotypes??

And also can you show me where I said they can't be offended?? My argument is about if this is racism, not if they're allowed to be offended or not. That's the fallacy.

A movie that many latin people love is "Zorro The Gay Blade". A funny movie that my family has watched dozens of times. It has the king of "brownface" George Hamilton. Who plays Zorro and his gay brother. Plenty of racial stereotyping and making fun of culture and gays. It would be totally considered racist by your ridiculous standards. But fortunately most of us can take a joke and not accuse something of being racism when it's not.

Look at that Brownface.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know, maybe it's me, but one of the people here seems to have a difficult time differentiating between something that is offensive, and something that is racist.

Just because something is offensive to a minority, in this case, does not necessarily make it racist. It seems pretty clear to me that was the point all along.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    If you think this Kung Fu parody meets the threshold of racism. Then you're far to sensitive and I question if you really know or even experienced what racism is. Tell me how do you do a Kung Fu parody without using sterotypes??

And also can you show me where I said they can't be offended?? My argument is about if this is racism, not if they're allowed to be offended or not. That's the fallacy.

A movie that many latin people love is "Zorro The Gay Blade". A funny movie that my family has watched dozens of times. It has the king of "brownface" George Hamilton. Who plays Zorro and his gay brother. Plenty of racial stereotyping and making fun of culture and gays. It would be totally considered racist by your ridiculous standards. But fortunately most of us can take a joke and not accuse something of being racism when it's not.

Look at that Brownface.
    It wasn't only the parody of kung fu movies, it was giving the WHITE actors Asian facial features, among other racial stereotypes. And you most certainly didn't start this whole thing questioning whether it's racism. That's not a fallacy, that's just a flat out lie. You started with, and I quote, "we've become a nation of pansies" and questioning why people are "so easily offended and riled up," and then you finally question whether it is actually racism. That's saying they shouldn't be offended. Plain as day.

And what is Zorro the Gay Blade? Let me guess, an 80's movie? The picture didn't show up. Hate to break your heart, but the 80's were super racist, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. They were horrible in general. Not sure why anybody would be longing to return. That being said, I'm assuming he was playing Zorro, a Spaniard in early California. Doubt it's brown face. Sounds like it's just George Hamilton, who typically does orange face from all the fake tanning.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan3411 View Post
    I don't know, maybe it's me, but one of the people here seems to have a difficult time differentiating between something that is offensive, and something that is racist.

Just because something is offensive to a minority, in this case, does not necessarily make it racist. It seems pretty clear to me that was the point all along.
    I don't know, maybe it's me, but it seems like another angry white guy is longing for the days where racist "blackface," "yellowface," etc. were acceptable. Further, it seems pretty clear to me that the initial point was anger at people being offended, resulting in them being called "pansies."
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't know, maybe it's me, but it seems like another angry white guy is longing for the days where racist "blackface," "yellowface," etc. were acceptable. Further, it seems pretty clear to me that the initial point was anger at people being offended, resulting in them being called "pansies."
    "Being so easily offended and riled up ,while screaming "racism". Over things that really aren't racist is the example."

Miss that??

Oh and did you notice the title of the thread??? Especially the part where "racism" was quoted.

Seems to me that you're just picking at straws and can't take a joke.

I leave you with a quote from my favorite Asian......

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm going to have to side with D9954 on this one. The show parodied kung fu movies from Hong Kong cinema. Have the show's actors in the same outfits and facial hair as the old Hong Kong Kung fu movies was all a part of it and would have made little sense to have an Asian actor do it. I mean it is a charature OF THEIR OWN CREATION. There wasn't any malice in this, I think that's what people are forgetting is a component to racism. Could this be racial insensitive? Sure I could see that and an Asian person could certainly be offended by it. But it's a long stretch to call this actual racism. I mean they weren't paroding actual Asians, just the Kung fu master character that the Chinese cinemas created themselves.

But also, D9954 trying to liken this to Blazing Saddles isn't the best foundation for your argument. It does show that you don't have a clear understanding of the different types of comedy. There's a reason Blazing Saddles is one of Mel Brooks' most enduring works. It's one of the greatest pieces of satire ever written. The sterotypes made fun of in that movie were all done by their own races/genders/sexual orientations with a very few exceptions. Madeline Kahn's German with a lisp, while being incredibly funny, could affend a few people with speech impediments. I can see that.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I'm going to have to side with D9954 on this one. The show parodied kung fu movies from Hong Kong cinema. Have the show's actors in the same outfits and facial hair as the old Hong Kong Kung fu movies was all a part of it and would have made little sense to have an Asian actor do it. I mean it is a charature OF THEIR OWN CREATION. There wasn't any malice in this, I think that's what people are forgetting is a component to racism. Could this be racial insensitive? Sure I could see that and an Asian person could certainly be offended by it. But it's a long stretch to call this actual racism. I mean they weren't paroding actual Asians, just the Kung fu master character that the Chinese cinemas created themselves.

But also, D9954 trying to liken this to Blazing Saddles isn't the best foundation for your argument. It does show that you don't have a clear understanding of the different types of comedy. There's a reason Blazing Saddles is one of Mel Brooks' most enduring works. It's one of the greatest pieces of satire ever written. The sterotypes made fun of in that movie were all done by their own races/genders/sexual orientations with a very few exceptions. Madeline Kahn's German with a lisp, while being incredibly funny, could affend a few people with speech impediments. I can see that.
    The different levels of comedy is an entirely different debate. Sure I know the differences but one thing all comedies share is the jest and fun about telling jokes (sometimes offensive) about one another. Kinda like watching scray movies. You watch expecting to be scared or entertained, knowing the whole time it's not real.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I was pretty offended by pootie-tang. the way the black people make fun of white people in the movie.

Quote Quote  

10. -40
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post

A more tangent representation would be the martial arts comedy "Big Trouble in Little China" IMO.
    Quote Quote