Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'How I Met Your Mother' creators apologize for 'racism'

1. -41
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Well, I'm sure the Asian community is happy to have so many white folk looking out for their interests and letting them know what they can and can't be offended by. As for racism, it has nothing to do with parodying a kung fu movie. They gave the actors Asian eyes. You don't see the racism in that because, well, you don't understand what racism is. You don't understand why Asians are upset because, well, you're not Asian. Seems to me, 9954, that you are just longing for the days when you could be openly racist without repercussion.

Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Well, I'm sure the Asian community is happy to have so many white folk looking out for their interests and letting them know what they can and can't be offended by. As for racism, it has nothing to do with parodying a kung fu movie. They gave the actors Asian eyes. You don't see the racism in that because, well, you don't understand what racism is. You don't understand why Asians are upset because, well, you're not Asian. Seems to me, 9954, that you are just longing for the days when you could be openly racist without repercussion.
    Hahaha!!

You officially have reached the lowest common denominator of butt hurt.

You must be a real blast to hang out with. Taking everything so serious and incapable of taking a joke.

You're the George Bush of racism. Racists are every where!! We need to get those evil-doers. We'll call it Operation Won Ton.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They didn't give the only actors with "Asian eyes" them, the Asian actors where born with them. You are looking at this through racism colored glasses if you saw the characters with "asian eyes". Do you recall them having ****ty oriental accents now too? Represented Asians as complete subhuman and non-intelligent? Even pointed out by an offended by oriental costumes in a comic Asian marital arts parody, the actors didn't have something that's referred to as "taped eyes".
    Last edited by Eshlemon; 01-31-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oh we're not telling Asians what they can or cannot be offended by, we're just saying what should and shouldn't be considered racist. You can say and do stuff that offends people but is not considered racist.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

5. -45
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Number one, I'm pretty sure 9954 is not white.

Given that, I have a few questions:

Who is supposed to be the angry white guy again?

Who said anything about controlling whether or not someone, or some group was OFFENDED?

Would you call the OFFENDED group of Asians, "angry old Asians"???
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!

Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, at least you toned down the "pansy," "wimp," etc. nonsense. Now maybe we can discuss the topic.

This just tells me you can't differentiate between different types of comedy. There was nothing satirical about that episode. There was nothing similar to the two movies you reference. And even if there was, it doesn't matter. Something being okay in old timey times doesn't make it okay today. What they did offended a group of people. The show acknowledged that and apologized. Both move on. It's only angry (mostly) white men who keep grumbling about it long after.

Are you poking fun at angry white men? Don't we have rights? BTW, we don't grumble. LOL
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Hokies class of 2016

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ford LogoDolphins HomerTannehill 17Snakes!Xbox Logo
    Everyone in this country and world is so easily butt hurt now, it's ridiculous. I understand people do cross borders at times, but my God. Anything anyone says is either racist or offensive in todays society.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dave Chapelle, white reporter. And i say so damn what. Its comedy. But if people wanna be offended, they will always find a reason.
    Quote Quote