Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #19 is a terrible spot for us for a tackle

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

#19 is a terrible spot for us for a tackle

We have the same OL needs of a team that usually picks in the top 3. I see us taking a guard in the first round and not getting a tackle that is worth a crap at all. we really need to prepare ourselves for this scenario because the value at our pick will be a guard, wr or DT. That will lead us to the second round where the good tackles will be long gone and us looking at a starting RB or S. Are you prepared as fans to see us skip drafting a starting caliber tackle completely in the draft? This brings us to free agency and I think we have to go after a top tackle so we are not reaching on draft day.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Lets wait and see what we do in free agency. If we address LT in free agency then the only tackle we'll need to draft will be a RT and that can be drafted after the 1st round.

After reviewing some games of Zack Martin I think he may be our guy and I think he can play LT and if not he can move inside to LG. The fact that he has less than ideal arm length will probably drop him somewhere around where we pick. 32.25" arm length is comparable to Robert Gallery (also 32.25") and Chris Williams (32.75"). Gallery was pretty much considered a bust until they moved him inside to LG. Chris Williams' career has been filled with a lot of injuries.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    that and chris williams sucks
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree. At 19 you get a guy who may just as easily be a 2nd round pick. I'd rather take a top player at a different position.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would welcome Zack Martin at that pick, even as a left tackle but I think he will go in the 10-12 range.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If there aren't any good LT's at 19 then you don't try to force it. Plenty of other positions of need. There are very good LTs later in the draft (David Yankey of Stanford, Joel Bitonio of Nevada and Dakota Dozier of Furman) who, like Martin, can be worked out at either guard or tackle. There are plug and play guards like Su'a Filo, right tackles in the second or third rounds like JaWuan James of Tenn who would instantly contend to start.

We don't need to panic. Joe Philbin built an excellent line in GB from mostly outside the top two rounds (or rather GB front office did). Let the draft come to you.

We need a better safety. Pryor is a great pick at 19. SU'A Filo is a consideration. We're in dire need of a good LB. Mosley is a contender. David, Keuchly and Alonso have shown LB is a position a rookie can make a big impact at. More impact Day one than maybe a developmental tackle.

Im not a fan of RBs in round one, but they can also make a big impact.

Finally, there are some potential elite players we can pick up at 19, regardless of "need". Truth is, what we "need" most are a few elite players, whatever position they play.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't mind the 19 spot other than it translates to 50ish range in the second round, and typically the big drop off starts near 40.

I'm not sure Jeff Ireland had any clue about that last year. We would have been much better off if we gave Oakland our lower second round pick to move up for Jordan, and then sweetened the pot with multiple lower picks, which Ireland wasted anyway.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I don't mind the 19 spot other than it translates to 50ish range in the second round, and typically the big drop off starts near 40.

I'm not sure Jeff Ireland had any clue about that last year. We would have been much better off if we gave Oakland our lower second round pick to move up for Jordan, and then sweetened the pot with multiple lower picks, which Ireland wasted anyway.
    It's hard to argue that the Raiders got the better end of that deal when you look at what it typically costs to move that far into the first round.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    If there aren't any good LT's at 19 then you don't try to force it. Plenty of other positions of need. There are very good LTs later in the draft (David Yankey of Stanford, Joel Bitonio of Nevada and Dakota Dozier of Furman) who, like Martin, can be worked out at either guard or tackle. There are plug and play guards like Su'a Filo, right tackles in the second or third rounds like JaWuan James of Tenn who would instantly contend to start.

We don't need to panic. Joe Philbin built an excellent line in GB from mostly outside the top two rounds (or rather GB front office did). Let the draft come to you.

We need a better safety. Pryor is a great pick at 19. SU'A Filo is a consideration. We're in dire need of a good LB. Mosley is a contender. David, Keuchly and Alonso have shown LB is a position a rookie can make a big impact at. More impact Day one than maybe a developmental tackle.

Im not a fan of RBs in round one, but they can also make a big impact.

Finally, there are some potential elite players we can pick up at 19, regardless of "need". Truth is, what we "need" most are a few elite players, whatever position they play.
    Love SU'A Filo. If he is there for us in rd 2 then he has to be the pick. Instant starter and makes us a lot better.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think that just ups the ante on finding at least a temporary starter at LT in FA. Honestly, if we do I wouldn't mind if we went with a true guard at 19, like Cyril Richardson or Yankee, if one of the top 4 LT's don't fall in our laps, and then we can address a LT of the future a little later. Maybe Antonio Richardson falls to our 2nd, or we nab Turner with the intent of sitting him for a year to polish his game. One of those in the 2nd probably puts us in the same situation as getting Koundjio in the first, as they all have the physical skills but need some refinement.
    JETS FANS' TEARS TASTE LIKE CANDY

(...so taste the rainbow, b*tches)
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know this is crazy talk but some teams have actually found serviceable linemen outside of the top 20 picks. We just need a decent line...which would be a huge improvement at this point. I am thinking BPA that fits our scheme at 19, whether a lineman, S, or playmaker @ TE or WR. If the player doesn't fit, don't pick that ****!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote