Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Zach Martin @ # 19??

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wouldn't be bad. He's a good player and he's versatile. Martin was very good at LT for ND and probably could play there and be at least decent in the NFL. He has the ability to be a top caliber guard which I think is where he'll settle in.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Lake MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Martin looks like he's maxed out. So we need to be smart about drafting him. 2-3rd round but not in the first for him! There will be a stud Linebacker or DT that will fall to us in the first!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Plenty of good DT's later in the draft. Not that many tackles... Don't think twice and grab Martin if he's there.
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What I don't get about the Zach Martin love is what sets him apart from the David Yankey's, Xavier Su'a Filo's and Joel Bitonio's of the draft? He looks solid with good feet, but is going to have to play guard (with the ability to maybe cover tackle as a backup). As a guard prospect, he doesn't really stand out from the other good prospects in the draft - all of who are slated to go later than Pick 19.

It's a reach, imo. I can guarantee that he won't be the "BPA" on many GMs' lists at 19. At Pick 30, I could definitely see him coming into the equation as a must-have.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    can he pull at guard?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fans will find something to complain about no matter who we pick. If we pick Zach people will complain and say same old drafting style. Another lineman. If we draft a different position people will complain about the need for help on the line. It's a lose lose for Hickey.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    No more O-lineman named Martin please!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't like it. On a mediocre roster your aim has to be higher than Zach Martin, particularly if the supposed new emphasis is best player available and not scrambling to fill a need.

With so many talented juniors coming out, it's hard for me to believe that at least 19 of them aren't better than a 23 year old narrow shouldered guy who is not ideally suited for the position he played in college.

I like Zach Martin. I'm certain he will be a good pro, probably from the outset if at guard. But that's not a visionary pick. It's a Steve Ross caliber pick, always reacting instead of several steps ahead of the opposition. The Dolphins might solidify on the offensive line with Zach Martin but that type of desperate choice allows other teams to swoop up superior talent at nearby slots and then find an offensive line gem later. For one thing, I'm unconvinced that Martin is markedly better than Brian Schwenke, who went in the fourth round last year.

Aaron Donald is a better player than Zach Martin. If we teamed a true penetrating disruptor like Donald with a mountain man like Soliai that would be the best interior combo we've had in 15 years.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's rated to go top 15-20, top rated offensive guard in the draft, top 4 rated offensive tackle and can play on both sides. I'm fairly certain he would be the BPA with the 19th pick......

He's a very good pick. Needing a G/T is just a bonus.

I think the problem is that people just don't think offensive line is a valuable position. They look at flashy players and want that, but they just don't understand that without an offensive line those flashy players are irrelevant, and your Qb will be torn apart and possibly lose all confidence to play in the NFL. You need top rated guys that know how to fight in the trenches against good opposition, not undrafted free agent practice squad players...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm with Fin and Awsi on this one. Nothing against Zach Martin, but if you can't find a solid guard in the later rounds, you don't have a chance anyway. We're not talking about a Greg Robinson kind of O-lineman who can clear out a side or do ridiculous things in space. We're talking about a guy who should be good, solid.

BTW, Jimmie Ward is starting to get love as a 1st RD pick. Rob Rang had him mocked to Denver at #31 - which makes sense, given what Earl Thomas did to their offense.
    Quote Quote