Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Zach Martin @ # 19??

1. -21
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I'm with Fin and Awsi on this one. Nothing against Zach Martin, but if you can't find a solid guard in the later rounds, you don't have a chance anyway. We're not talking about a Greg Robinson kind of O-lineman who can clear out a side or do ridiculous things in space. We're talking about a guy who should be good, solid.

BTW, Jimmie Ward is starting to get love as a 1st RD pick. Rob Rang had him mocked to Denver at #31 - which makes sense, given what Earl Thomas did to their offense.
    Wow. I'm not sure that's great value, even though I think he's a quality player. He's a bit on the small side, but the Earl Thomas comparison is very good. I love to watch guys who read a play and, before their brain is finished processing the information, their body is already half way to the tackle. It's that mix of instinct and decisiveness that's the golden ingredient. Helps that he has the speed and athleticism to get there and lay the wood too.

On the guard/tackle discussion, I think what some of us are saying is we have enough solid players on this squad. Yes, we have to remodel the o-line, but we can't afford to stock the roster with decent year 1 starters who stay decent and nothing more. We need about 5 players who have much bigger upside than our average player standard, even if the bust risk is higher, even if the year 1 production isn't there. This is what I like about the Hickey hire. You can see in TBs drafts (whoever was at the helm) that they shot for the lights with certain players. I have to say I appreciated Ireland making a play for Jordan the way he did, whether it works out or not (and I suspect it will). It was the rest of his draft that was appalling.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    Wow. I'm not sure that's great value, even though I think he's a quality player. He's a bit on the small side, but the Earl Thomas comparison is very good. I love to watch guys who read a play and, before their brain is finished processing the information, their body is already half way to the tackle. It's that mix of instinct and decisiveness that's the golden ingredient. Helps that he has the speed and athleticism to get there and lay the wood too.

On the guard/tackle discussion, I think what some of us are saying is we have enough solid players on this squad. Yes, we have to remodel the o-line, but we can't afford to stock the roster with decent year 1 starters who stay decent and nothing more. We need about 5 players who have much bigger upside than our average player standard, even if the bust risk is higher, even if the year 1 production isn't there. This is what I like about the Hickey hire. You can see in TBs drafts (whoever was at the helm) that they shot for the lights with certain players. I have to say I appreciated Ireland making a play for Jordan the way he did, whether it works out or not (and I suspect it will). It was the rest of his draft that was appalling.
    Combine will be big for Ward. He has to run in the low 4.5's (at worst) to be in the discussion for a 1st Rd pick. I think he's worth a 1st either way, but coming from the MAC and being on the smaller side, teams will want him to run well. Seattle is prioritizing Thomas over Sherman. If you have a FS who can excel in the single high, you can do so many things on D. For Miami, it'd mean allowing R. Jones to play down in the box, where he's MUCH better. Like I said, I think Ward is a 1st RD guy all the way and one of the most unique talents in the draft. If a team is looking to copy Seattle's defensive philosophy, Ward should be at the top of their wishlist. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go top-20.

And you're right about the decent 1 year starter thing. That philosophy is death to a franchise.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What blocking scene did he run?,????????
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    I'm not a fan of taking a G in the first, don't see the value. As posted on the main, I'm looking to take the best DT from Nix, Donald, etc.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I'm not a fan of taking a G in the first, don't see the value. As posted on the main, I'm looking to take the best DT from Nix, Donald, etc.
    He played Left Tackle all four years at Notre Dame. Why do you call him a Guard? Just because some people project him as possibly going to the Guard spot doesn't make it so.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    He played Left Tackle all four years at Notre Dame. Why do you call him a Guard? Just because some people project him as possibly going to the Guard spot doesn't make it so.
    IF he projected out to be a top LT, there is no way he would be available at #19. A decent LT is not a 1st round pick nor is any guard. JMO.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS!MATEO View Post
    Plenty of good DT's later in the draft. Not that many tackles... Don't think twice and grab Martin if he's there.
    I thought this was a deep OT class
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmacoat View Post
    I thought this was a deep OT class
    There are a lot of NFL prospects but only a few guys that are considered sure things.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    IF he projected out to be a top LT, there is no way he would be available at #19. A decent LT is not a 1st round pick nor is any guard. JMO.
    Ok I see your point. I have seen Martin mocked to the NY Giants at around the 12th pick.....to around the mid-20's. I think he is better than Michigan's Lewan, and doesn't have the charachter issues. I also like him over Bama's Kouandijo...not sure I spelled his name right. The O-line is never going to be a "sexy pick," like a RB, TE or WR, but Tannehill could get seriously injured if he keeps taking hits.

Who do you want at #19???
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we take OL at 19, he is my pick.
    Quote Quote