Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virginia Gay Marriage

1. -21
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    That is false. Believe what you will.
    Go find the stats to support your statement.
    No, it's not.

http://www.vice.com/read/sexual-abus...bible-colleges

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    the percentage is zero with both with me. Im pretty sure that stats don't show that gays are more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals
    You can say whatever you want, but without the grace of God, people are capable of anything. I'm sure there was a time when Mary Kay Letourneau thought that the chances of her messing with a young boy was zero. I'm not saying gays are more likely to be pedophiles. I'm just saying that when you are around the gender you are already attracted to, there is more of a potential for issues then if you were around the gender that you are not attracted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I'm not sure what the article is supposed to prove. I don't think anyone will disagree that there is sexual abuse going on in Bible Colleges and Churches and many other religious organizations. Many people claim to be something they are not, so the fact that sexual abuse goes on everywhere is not a surprise. I don't know if sexual abuse is more rampant outside of religious organizations or not. I have no facts either way. That article doesn't help us determine anything that we don't already know.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingit View Post
    You can say whatever you want, but without the grace of God, people are capable of anything. I'm sure there was a time when Mary Kay Letourneau thought that the chances of her messing with a young boy was zero. I'm not saying gays are more likely to be pedophiles. I'm just saying that when you are around the gender you are already attracted to, there is more of a potential for issues then if you were around the gender that you are not attracted to. I'm not sure what the article is supposed to prove. I don't think anyone will disagree that there is sexual abuse going on in Bible Colleges and Churches and many other religious organizations. Many people claim to be something they are not, so the fact that sexual abuse goes on everywhere is not a surprise. I don't know if sexual abuse is more rampant outside of religious organizations or not. I have no facts either way. That article doesn't help us determine anything that we don't already know.
    Did you read all of the posts or just blindly respond to mine? I was responding to a post in which it was stated quite clearly that it is "false" kids are no less likely to be messed just because its religious based. I showed an example of how that it is not false and that religious organizations are just as suseptible and in addition, more likely to cover it up to maintain the image of moral superiority.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you want to agree with Wyler's opinion piece, that is your choice, but that is not proof.
    There are no statistics to compare religious to non religious in that link.
    "No less likely"
    You believe that the incidents of abuse are similar in frequency between religious and non religious educational institutions?
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    If you want to agree with Wyler's opinion piece, that is your choice, but that is not proof.
    There are no statistics to compare religious to non religious in that link.
    "No less likely"
    You believe that the incidents of abuse are similar in frequency between religious and non religious educational institutions?
    Apparently you didn't bother reading any of the links he provided, in which proof was presented, and something tells me that even if there were years worth of statistics from multiple independent sources to back it up, you'd still brush it off and say there's no proof because that's simply what you want to believe (seen that before somewhere...).

Yes, I believe the incidents of abuse are similar in frequency, if not more common in places where kids are told that the adults minding them are their moral and spiritual superiors to be trusted above all else.

Back to the topic of the "Christian" boys camp, I have absolutely no problem with people opting for that route. It's your kids, send them where you want. But they are no more safe than any other just because they don't allow (openly) gay men and boys into the club. It's naive to think they are and it's that kind of naivety that causes parents to brush off their kids' accusations. "Impossible Jimmy, that's Reverend Fondlesalot. He would never do something like that. He's a godly man!"
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In medical fields there's an old joke that each discipline tends to draw it's own abusers. Pill heads become pharmacists, crazies become psychologists, hypochondriacs become immunologists and so on.

There is some of this in religion, I think. Christianity in particular has a byzantine and regressive stance on human sexuality and deviance, in addition to a strong emphasis on guilt (being "born sick", in other words, and commanded to be well). As a result I think it's professionals -- priests and preachers -- are probably made up of a higher percentage than the average of sexual and moral deviants.

I think it was Freud who said we hate what we secretly desire. I've always thought it was closer to the truth to say that we hate what we secretly fear becoming. In either case it's close the same basic idea.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's absolutely amazing how quickly the American populace has turned around on this issue.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll - Gay Marriage
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did you read all of the posts or just blindly respond to mine? I was responding to a post in which it was stated quite clearly that it is "false" kids are no less likely to be messed just because its religious based. I showed an example of how that it is not false and that religious organizations are just as suseptible and in addition, more likely to cover it up to maintain the image of moral superiority.
    I read all the post. Dlockz said:

Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Im fine with people making their own choice but kids are no less likely to be messed just because its religious based.
    To which Langer responded:

That is false. Believe what you will.
    Go find the stats to support your statement.
    No one said that sexual abuse doesn't go on in religious organizations. Langer claims that it goes on less than other organizations. I don't know if that is true or not. I don't think you know either. I clicked on several of the links in the article you posted, but did not see any statistics comparing the claims of sexual abuse in religious organizations to non religious organizations. I saw some cases where sexual abuse was documented, and several other claims and allegations of sexual abuse. There were a lot of links, so maybe I missed it? Can you post the link that contains the statistical comparison between religious and non religious organizations?
    Quote Quote