Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Combine measurements: OL

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Myers
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvenientTruth View Post
    Only in the NFL can 3/4 of an inch be the difference between good length and too short....

Same goes for 40 times where 2 hundredths can be the difference between fast and slow...
    Well, the NFL is a game of inches
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Overdrafted....

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalHydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by VileJaffar View Post
    Well, the NFL is a game of inches
    true...

But I have seen evaluations of guys with the exact same height and position and was one considered good size, while the other lacked ideal height....granted these are not NFL personnel mentioning this and a lot of how a player is perceived has to do with a media members connection to player's agents.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Really think Bodine will make a good guard. Could get him in the 2nd or 3rd.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its going to be very hard for this team to pass on Martin IMO.

But than again WTF do I know, I never expected us to draft Dallas Thomas and will Davis. the talent we passed on for these two guys, they better show something this year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    Its going to be very hard for this team to pass on Martin IMO.

But than again WTF do I know, I never expected us to draft Dallas Thomas and will Davis. the talent we passed on for these two guys, they better show something this year.
    That was Jeff Ireland though. New GM so right now it's more of a mystery what we take. Ireland had at least two picks a draft that left me scratching my head and wondering why.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    That was Jeff Ireland though. New GM so right now it's more of a mystery what we take. Ireland had at least two picks a draft that left me scratching my head and wondering why.
    I hate Ireland with a passion. So I'm not trying to defend him by any means. But if there is one thing Irelsnd did, consistently, before philbin got here, was draft tough physical players. Whether they were good or bad, they were at least tough guys who were physical.

Dallas Thomas, will Davis, jonathan Martin, even lamar miller, these guys that started showing up when philbin got here, these guys are soft. These aren't guys Parcells or Ireland would even look at IMO.

The only real soft player Ireland ever drafted was Daniel Thomas, and I always had a feeling Sparano pushed for that. Ireland gets the blame because he's the gm, but there's no way philbin and his entire staff come here without some kind of pull on the draft.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hate Ireland with a passion. So I'm not trying to defend him by any means. But if there is one thing Irelsnd did, consistently, before philbin got here, was draft tough physical players. Whether they were good or bad, they were at least tough guys who were physical.

Dallas Thomas, will Davis, jonathan Martin, even lamar miller, these guys that started showing up when philbin got here, these guys are soft. These aren't guys Parcells or Ireland would even look at IMO.

The only real soft player Ireland ever drafted was Daniel Thomas, and I always had a feeling Sparano pushed for that. Ireland gets the blame because he's the gm, but there's no way philbin and his entire staff come here without some kind of pull on the draft.
    I think that had more to do with Ireland's inability to draft for a different system than what he was used to. Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin fit the measurables of a ZBS type O-lineman...problem is they couldn't play. Really, on paper, these guys fit but if you actually evaluated them and watched the games you would think differently. Ultimately Ireland's job was to acquire the talent needed to run the system in place by the coach and he failed. People can place blame on Sparano or Philbin all they want but player acquisition falls on the GM, if it doesn't then why have a GM to begin with? Why have a scouting dept?

Regardless I actually came on because I was filling out my draft matrix with the measurables from the combine and noticed that Anthony Steen has some abnormally short arms, 30 1/2".
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think that had more to do with Ireland's inability to draft for a different system than what he was used to. Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin fit the measurables of a ZBS type O-lineman...problem is they couldn't play. Really, on paper, these guys fit but if you actually evaluated them and watched the games you would think differently. Ultimately Ireland's job was to acquire the talent needed to run the system in place by the coach and he failed.

People can place blame on Sparano or Philbin all they want but player acquisition falls on the GM, if it doesn't then why have a GM to begin with? Why have a scouting dept?
    I wouldn't doubt for a reason that Ireland had a problem finding talent for the scheme changes.

As for sparano or philbin, it's pretty delusional to think the coaching staff has no say in the roster, just how much is the question. But we do know that philbin sent his entire coaching staff to the senior bowl, which IMO is proof that while Ireland had his scouts doing there job, philbin had his coaches also scouting. That says a lot to me.

As for sparano, when he was extended, part of his extension stated that he would get more say in the roster.

But yeah, it still falls on Ireland, all I'm saying is toughness and softness was never a issue before philbin got here. Add egnew to that list too.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't doubt for a reason that Ireland had a problem finding talent for the scheme changes.

As for sparano or philbin, it's pretty delusional to think the coaching staff has no say in the roster, just how much is the question. But we do know that philbin sent his entire coaching staff to the senior bowl, which IMO is proof that while Ireland had his scouts doing there job, philbin had his coaches also scouting. That says a lot to me.

As for sparano, when he was extended, part of his extension stated that he would get more say in the roster.

But yeah, it still falls on Ireland, all I'm saying is toughness and softness was never a issue before philbin got here. Add egnew to that list too.
    Every coach has input to the roster. I think in most successful organizations it's a collaboration on who to draft where the GM presents players for the coach to evaluate, they watch film together and then make a determination. However, in those situations there has to be some level of trust and a common philosophy that I don't think ever existed between Philbin and Ireland and IMO I would never have trusted Ireland given his track record to begin with. He has never been very good at fitting talent into a scheme even when we had the 3-4 and power scheme offense. I mean Philbin has been here for two years and Ireland was still drafting guys that fit the 3-4 defense.

I think you'll see under Hickey and Philbin a more conscience effort to determine a players toughness after the Martin fiasco. Not that you couldn't find tougher kids playing Pop Warner than Martin anyway.

Edit: Also it seemed to me that Ireland would try to force Philbin's hand in who to play by either not addressing positions in free agency (he made almost no effort to fix the O-line after the first season Philbin was here knowing most of the O-line didn't fit the ZBS) or the draft (trades away Brandon Marshall and made no effort to replace him cause he though his "diamonds in the rough" undrafted free agent WRs would rise to the occasion). So Philbin was forced to play Martin at LT, Philbin was forced to have to play below average talent at WR and Philbin has been forced to play linebackers that don't fit the scheme plus a number of other positions.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Big Play Clay

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm curious to see Kadeem Edwards workout. I've read and heard a lot about him but haven't been able to find much as far as games he played anywhere. Xavier Su'a-Filo and Brandon Thomas are two guys I like at Guard for us. And Gabe Ikard could be a nice Center in our system as well.
    This is the only Kadeem Edwards footage I can find, hope it helps!

Quote Quote