Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Combine measurements: RB

1. -31
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Don't like Wilder...runs too upright.

I think Carey's slow 40 time only helps us. He's the right fit for the ZBS. Also like Terrance West and Charles Sims. Sims has over 200 career receptions and we could really use a receiver out of the backfield.
    I know the NFL is a totally different beast, but I have always been impressed with how Wilder still runs over people and doesn't go down easy, even though he runs more upright, unlike Daniel Thomas. And if he did fall into the 6th or 7th, I'd draft him in a heart beat.

That said, next year is shaping up to be a really good RB class and I would be okay with holding off on a RB unless there's value.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Some of you will remember named Rod Bernstein. He was a 6'3", 240 lb rb for the Chargers who clobbered people. The problem was he ran upright and took a beating. That's who Wilder reminds me of.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the numbers posted by Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern......Benched it 32 times and has a 40 1/2 vert??? Wow. I will see if I can find film on him. Might be worth a look.

Jerick McKinnon Georgia Southern 5-9 209 4.41 4.35 1.46 32 40.5 11-0 8 5/8

Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Carey is a lightweight back, similar in size to Miller. I don't see it working with 2 small backs. We need a bruiser.
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS!MATEO View Post
    Carey is a lightweight back, similar in size to Miller. I don't see it working with 2 small backs. We need a bruiser.
    I'd also prefer a bigger back, but Carey runs with much greater physicality and instincts than Miller. Carey had me when I began to realize that he was wearing down D's in the 2nd half - much like your classic 215+ bell-cow back. No one expected Carey to be fast, but that 40 time will probably cause his stock to fall. I think the good teams will take advantage of guys like Hill and Carey falling down draft boards.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I"ll take Freeman on Day three and laugh all the way to the bank.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NorFlaFin View Post
    I"ll take Freeman on Day three and laugh all the way to the bank.
    I certainly agree, he can do it all. This is a good year to draft FSU heavily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can Carey bust through D-line walls is what i'm wondering. Miller and Thomas couldn't. With a whole new offensive line we'd have to think there will be growing pains no matter who we sign or draft. Maybe Carey could wear the D down, but just maybe they'll wear him down and make him a non factor..

I'd just feel a whole hell of a lot better going with a heavy bruiser type that is known to run through contact and that can hold up blocks. Idc about speed, we have Miller for that. I'm really looking for a 1-2 punch type of backfield. A guy that can come in and block for Miller so that he can get more than 1 yard, a guy that can hold up in pass protection, a guy that can get the 3rd/4th and inches and just a guy that will punish a db 1 on 1.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Can Carey bust through D-line walls is what i'm wondering. Miller and Thomas couldn't. With a whole new offensive line we'd have to think there will be growing pains no matter who we sign or draft. Maybe Carey could wear the D down, but just maybe they'll wear him down and make him a non factor..

I'd just feel a whole hell of a lot better going with a heavy bruiser type that is known to run through contact and that can hold up blocks. Idc about speed, we have Miller for that. I'm really looking for a 1-2 punch type of backfield. A guy that can come in and block for Miller so that he can get more than 1 yard, a guy that can hold up in pass protection, a guy that can get the 3rd/4th and inches and just a guy that will punish a db 1 on 1.
    Tell me what you think.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Miller is 6', 205 lbs...Carey is 5'9" 207...if Carey were 6' tall he'd weigh 222 (rule of thumb, 5 lbs of muscle per inch of height). Carey is not a light weight, he's actually pretty good size.

LeSean McCoy 5'11" 208 lbs - not a bad running back but I guess since he's not 230 lbs he's a lightweight.
    Matt Forte 6'2" 218 lbs - Take away 5" of height and he's 5'9" 193 lbs. He's not a "thick" player.
    Jamal Charles 5'11" 199 lbs - now he's a lightweight. He had a decent season I suppose 1287 yards rushing, another 693 receiving...was about 40% of Kansas City's offense.
    Alfred Morris - 5'10" 218 lbs - Good size RB.
    Adrian Peterson - 6'1" 217 lbs - Take 4" of height away and he's 5'9" 197 lbs. Also not a thick player.

That's not to say that the taller players with more weight doesn't make a difference it's just to point out the size/weight ratio that you're making a big deal out of because you're only looking at the weight and determining that the running back is a lightweight. If you saw a guy walking down the street who was 5'9" and 210 lbs and another guy 6'2" 210 pounds which one would you think look more overweight?

By the way the 5 guys listed were the top 5 rushers in the league last year.
    Quote Quote