Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut : Untold Thousands Flout Gun Registration Law

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Connecticut : Untold Thousands Flout Gun Registration Law

Everyone knew there would be some gun owners flouting the law that legislators hurriedly passed last April, requiring residents to register all military-style rifles with state police by Dec. 31.

But few thought the figures would be this bad.

Bythe end of 2013, state police hadreceived 47,916 applications for assault weapons certificates, Lt. Paul Vance said. An additional2,100 that were incomplete could still come in.

That 50,000 figure could be as little as 15 percent of the rifles classified as assault weapons owned by Connecticut residents, according to estimates by people in the industry, including the Newtown-based National Shooting Sports Foundation. No one has anything close to definitive figures, but the most conservative estimates place the number of unregistered assault weapons well above 50,000, and perhaps as high as 350,000.

And that means as of Jan. 1, Connecticut has very likely created tens of thousands of newly minted criminals perhaps 100,000 people, almost certainly at least 20,000 who have broken no other laws. By owning unregistered guns defined as assault weapons, all of them are committing Class D felonies.

"I honestly thought from my own standpoint that the vast majority would register," said Sen. Tony Guglielmo, R-Stafford, the ranking GOP senator on the legislature's public safety committee. "If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don't follow them, then you have a real problem."

The problem could explode if Connecticut officials decide to compare the list of people who underwent background checks to buy military-style rifles in the past, to the list of those who registered in 2013. Do they still own those guns? The state might want to know.

"A lot of it is just a question to ask, and I think the firearms unit would be looking at it," said Mike Lawlor, the state's top official in criminal justice. "They could send them a letter."
    An aggressive hunt isn't going to happen, Lawlor said, but even the idea of letters is a scary thought considering thousands of people are now in an uncomfortable position. At the least, the legislature should reopen the registration period this year with an outreach campaign designed to boost the numbers.

It could be a tough sell. On Thursday night, Guglielmo heard from a constituent at a meeting in Ashford, who said most of his friends with military-style rifles such as AR-15s hadnot come forward.

"He made the analogy to prohibition," Guglielmo said. "I said, 'You're talking about civil disobedience, and he said 'Yes.' "
    http://articles.courant.com/2014-02-...gistration-law

Eventually force will be used. Interesting to see what happens then.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sounds like there will be a voter backlash to get the idiots that crafted this unneeded law repealed. Whats next, registering knives and bows / arrows?
    The government has no right to an accounting of a citizens personal property.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Santa Paws is Coming to Town

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    Homes, cars, weapons grade uranium, anthrax... the government shouldn't know if we have any of that?
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

The Evolution of the Tannehill Booster

First Stage: Tannehill is going to be a star in this league.
    Second Stage: Tannehill is better than RGIII, Wilson, etc.
    Third Stage: Tannehill is better than some other AFC East quarterback except Tom Brady.
    Fourth Stage: Tannehill isn't the only problem on the team.

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sounds like there will be a voter backlash to get the idiots that crafted this unneeded law repealed. Whats next, registering knives and bows / arrows?
    They already know about your home and your car, why does it matter about guns?

If you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide. If a law like this passes in my area I will gladly register all of my weapons. I see no reason not to, other than being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post

If you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide. If a law like this passes in my area I will gladly register all of my weapons. I see no reason not to, other than being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Under normal circumstances registering a gun would not be a concern. However, this administration has already expressed an interest in gun control. The first step is to get the names and addresses before collecting them. Then implement new taxes to make it cost prohibitive to own a gun.
    The criminals and inner city hoods are exempt from the registration of course...that would be discrimination and bigoted.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Under normal circumstances registering a gun would not be a concern. However, this administration has already expressed an interest in gun control. The first step is to get the names and addresses before collecting them. Then implement new taxes to make it cost prohibitive to own a gun.
    The criminals and inner city hoods are exempt from the registration of course...that would be discrimination and bigoted.
    Maybe this would make sense if the current administration hasn't already been more lenient towards guns than previous administration.

But since you "know"what will happen I guess you can continue to get upset over something that will benefit society as a whole rather than be objective about something that goes against your God given merican liberties.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe this would make sense if the current administration hasn't already been more lenient towards guns than previous administration.

But since you "know"what will happen I guess you can continue to get upset over something that will benefit society as a whole rather than be objective about something that goes against your God given merican liberties.

Really??

Did you forget that whole Assault Weapons Ban attempt and a gazillion executive orders??

Fact is Obama and the Dems hate the 2nd amendment to the BILL OF RIGHTS. And will do whatever they can to take away that right. The GOP plays lip service to it but even Romney engaged in it.

Unless of course you're Al-Qaeda in Libya, Syria or Mexican Drug Cartels, then it's guns galore.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

So you should only exercise your right to privacy if you have something to hide?

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

Oh stop, you "know" no more than any of us when it comes to the agenda of men in power. What I do know is the past, happened in many many countries before this one, step one registration, step two confiscation.

The thing about gun control is pretty simple, people say "I'm against guns, they should be banned or confiscated", well those people aren't really against guns are they? They just have the belief that the government is the only people who should poses and deploy guns. Let's be crystal clear here, guns will never leave Merica, it just depends on your point of view how you want the check and balance to play out.

I'd rather have my guns and not need them, than need them and not have them. Maybe the better question is why does our Government (ironically the worlds largest provider of weapons across the world) fear a peaceful armed populous here at home?
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote