Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut : Untold Thousands Flout Gun Registration Law

1. -11
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Oh stop, you "know" no more than any of us when it comes to the agenda of men in power. What I do know is the past, happened in many many countries before this one, step one registration, step two confiscation.

The thing about gun control is pretty simple, people say "I'm against guns, they should be banned or confiscated", well those people aren't really against guns are they? They just have the belief that the government is the only people who should poses and deploy guns. Let's be crystal clear here, guns will never leave Merica, it just depends on your point of view how you want the check and balance to play out.

I'd rather have my guns and not need them, than need them and not have them. Maybe the better question is why does our Government (ironically the worlds largest provider of weapons across the world) fear a peaceful armed populous here at home?
    The actual better question is how many lives would be saved by aggressive gun control... and exactly how many lives you think are worth losing so you can have your guns.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    The actual better question is how many lives would be saved by aggressive gun control... and exactly how many lives you think are worth losing so you can have your guns.
    Aggressive gun control = Civil War.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd argue - none.

Criminals don't care about following the law ... that's what makes them criminals.

They won't register any firearms they own regardless of the situation. These knee-jerk measures only serve to disarm law abiding citizens. How does that help?

.. Unless you care to share your magical plan to remove ALL firearms from EVERYONE in the US, and to disallow the possibility of any new guns entering the country ever. (Hint: Impossible)

How many lives are worth losing? That's an interesting comment. It's certainly inflammatory. Freedom isn't free. Perhaps we should have just listened to and obeyed King George III in the late 18th century?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Honestly, I think this is BS.

IF guns equaled homicides, I guess we could put a map of the US up, look at the areas with the highest levels of firearms per capita, and it would match pretty well with the areas of highest homocides per capita, is that not a logical thought???

Of course we know that is NOT the case, that highest homicide percapita map would match up pretty well with the worst socio-economic areas. Are we also supposed to forget Biden being caught on camera SAYING THIS LATEST GUN CONTROL BS WILL DO NOTHING?

This is no different than any of the other methods of gun control, it does not get rid of the guns, it just decides who can have them and why. You will NEVER, and I mean NEVER hear ANYTHING about complete disarmament....no, no, YOU give up YOUR guns, the police still need them because obviously they encounter different people than regular people ever do, and our government certainly needs guns for all those wars that mean so much to our MIC...

Here are some real numbers for all those people that want you to THINK they are SO concerned about saving a life or two. Approx 2.5 million people die in the US every year, with the vast majority being of natural causes. You can do your best to put the rest of those deaths blame on many things, probably the biggest being tobacco. You would work your way through the rest of the big ones like medical errors, unintentional injuries, alcohol, motor vehicle accidents, poisoning, drug abuse, etc. etc. before you get to actual GUN HOMICIDES (which include some circumstances you wouldn't think belong) at about a whopping 1%!!!

Just want to save lives??? Yeah, right more like hauling water for a favorite political group, I really liked them better when they were anti-war.
    Last edited by phinfan3411; 03-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    I'd argue - none.

Criminals don't care about following the law ... that's what makes them criminals.

They won't register any firearms they own regardless of the situation. These knee-jerk measures only serve to disarm law abiding citizens. How does that help?
    Not all gun crimes are committed by "criminals".

And in any case, every country has criminals. Yet countries with aggressive gun control laws have fewer gun homicides and homicides in general. Strange how that works.

.. Unless you care to share your magical plan to remove ALL firearms from EVERYONE in the US, and to disallow the possibility of any new guns entering the country ever. (Hint: Impossible)
    I don't have a plan. Even if I did, it would be unconstitutional. I'm merely stating a preference because I recognize a problem. You don't even recognize there is a problem.

How many lives are worth losing? That's an interesting comment. It's certainly inflammatory. Freedom isn't free. Perhaps we should have just listened to and obeyed King George III in the late 18th century?
    Yeah, because that's the appropriate opposite number here. Returning to the British Empire.

It's nonsensical to say that gun control laws -- properly designed and enforced -- won't help stem the tide of gun deaths. As you make anything harder, fewer people will go through the trouble. That's basic common sense. Look at what it takes to get a gun permit in Japan. It's arduous and labyrinthine, as it's supposed to be. And as a result they have like four or five gun deaths per year.

You disagree. "Criminals are criminals". It doesn't matter how hard we make it to get a gun, criminals will still get guns. And while we're at it why make drinking and driving illegal? People are still going to do it. Might as well let them.

Freedom is definitely not free. I agree with you there. Just how many lives is this particular freedom worth?
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 03-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan3411 View Post
    Honestly, I think this is BS.

IF guns equaled homicides, I guess we could put a map of the US up, look at the areas with the highest levels of firearms per capita, and it would match pretty well with the areas of highest homocides per capita, is that not a logical thought???

Of course we know that is NOT the case, that highest homicide percapita map would match up pretty well with the worst socio-economic areas. Are we also supposed to forget Biden being caught on camera SAYING THIS LATEST GUN CONTROL BS WILL DO NOTHING?

This is no different than any of the other methods of gun control, it does not get rid of the guns, it just decides who can have them and why. You will NEVER, and I mean NEVER hear ANYTHING about complete disarmament....no, no, YOU give up YOUR guns, the police still need them because obviously they encounter different people than regular people ever do, and our government certainly needs guns for all those wars that mean so much to our MIC...

Here are some real numbers for all those people that want you to THINK they are SO concerned about saving a life or two. Approx 2.5 million people die in the US every year, with the vast majority being of natural causes. You can do your best to put the rest of those deaths blame on many things, probably the biggest being tobacco. You would work your way through the rest of the big ones like medical errors, unintentional injuries, alcohol, motor vehicle accidents, poisoning, drug abuse, etc. etc. before you get to actual GUN HOMICIDES (which include some circumstances you wouldn't think belong) at about a whopping 1%!!!

Just want to save lives??? Yeah, right more like hauling water for a favorite political group, I really liked them better when they were anti-war.
    Not really. Per capita doesn't take into account population density or other socioeconomic factors. All of which are correlated to gun violence. Wyoming for instance has the highest rate of gun ownership in America. But part of the reason it's murder rate is so low is that you can go for days in Wyoming and not see another person.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You are actually linking to one of the biggest knuckleheads in politics who has the audacity to actually use the Weimar Republic as an example?

The was no right to bear arms in 1928 over there. The law enacted back then was to disarm private armies not regular citizens who had no right to bear arms in the first place. And the Nazis did not get into power until 1931.

And lets not forget that photo being shown of supposedly Germans handing guns over was a picture from 1940 France.

http://www.shoahlegacy.org/monitor/d...amps-down-jews

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Not all gun crimes are committed by "criminals".

Think about what you just said.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Anybody find it interesting that most gun murders occur in areas with the strictest gun control measures?

One might wonder why that would be the case.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That question has been answered time and time again. Gun control does not reduce violent crime. Those point to the UK as an example fail to report that since strict gun control was implemented that violent crime rate actually has rose per 100k, where as American rates have been on the decline for decades despite what anyone would want you to believe.

Same with mass killing, mass killing were the highest in 1929 and have fallen since even though gun ownership has risen dramatically.

I laugh at people who act like we are living in Iraq when it comes to public safety and guns, I don't have any fear of getting shot even with all these so called "loonies" armed and lurking around or country lol.

I don't agree with all his points or agree will all Libertarians in general but the man makes some very very valid points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMUeUErYVg

I looked at the 100+ page statistical study of Australia and the determining factors despite what people say have not be able to show any statistical relevances to gun control and a reduction in violent crime. Other factors were found to be more significant on the overall reductions.

Both sides cherry pick their stats but overall there are many many other things that could also be linked to violent crime but people tend to point the blame at the smoking gun (pun intended).
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post

Think about what you just said.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Oh, c'mon. I'm gonna go ahead and say there's a bit of difference between a guy who grabs his gun in a fit of rage and kills his wife (or his neighbor, or some driver he's pissed off at) over a seasoned, hardened criminal.

The potential for the hardened criminal to find a way to get a gun and do what he's going to do -- if he's really, really determined -- is going to be reasonably good no matter what you do, though you can work on that by working on supply (increasing the price). But gun control will absolutely have an effect on the former. Road Rage Guy isn't going to tend to go on the black market and risk imprisonment so he can carry a pistol around in his car. Some will, but not as many. And not as many = fewer murders.

Anybody find it interesting that most gun murders occur in areas with the strictest gun control measures?

One might wonder why that would be the case.
    Because they're trying to fix the problem only it's a bigger problem than one city has the ability to fix? It's pretty hard for the city of Chicago to control guns in their city when you can drive like 20 minutes to Indiana and get whatever you want.

Meaningful changes will have to occur at the nationwide level.
    Quote Quote