Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hoops scoops...Miami makeover...2014 oline draft prospects targets and grades...

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We've talked about Matthews vs Robinson, and I get your reasoning. I don't agree with the conclusion, but that's a different thing.

I have a tougher time with Martin over Lewan. Lewan is as refined as you'd like, and he has the much higher upside. As I've said, Lewan reminds me a lot of Joe Staley. Martin's versatility would be a welcome addition to a line littered with holes, but I wouldn't pass up a high-end LT for him.

I'd be happy with Trai Turner in the 4th. You've noted the risk, and it's legit, but he has All Pro upside, and he has some good tape - especially in the running game. Great scheme fit, too.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Nice write up Mr hoops.

So what are the chances Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, and Martin are off the board when we pick at 19? I'm thinking we have to use a 1st rounder, or at the very minimum a 2nd rounder on an OL, being that we can't wait for our OL draft picks to develop. We need players that can start immediately.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    We've talked about Matthews vs Robinson, and I get your reasoning. I don't agree with the conclusion, but that's a different thing.

I have a tougher time with Martin over Lewan. Lewan is as refined as you'd like, and he has the much higher upside. As I've said, Lewan reminds me a lot of Joe Staley. Martin's versatility would be a welcome addition to a line littered with holes, but I wouldn't pass up a high-end LT for him.

I'd be happy with Trai Turner in the 4th. You've noted the risk, and it's legit, but he has All Pro upside, and he has some good tape - especially in the running game. Great scheme fit, too.
    lewan plays a position of more value in the pros as i see it...left tackle...but he's got skeletons in his closet that drop the grade for me a little...well that and a reported quirky personality which may be misunderstood...where have we seen that before??? hmmm...miami can't afford or won't allow itself to get into another jon martin like fiasco i think character and leadership in the lockerroom will be extremely important going forward and well zach martins an a+ with that and a really good player in his own right...plus offers much needed versatility...that's pretty much why he's rated slightly higher

if you have lewan over martin i don't have a problem with it given the position value in the pros...character and in the lockeroom is what separated em for me in the end...

if turner goes in the 3rd to us i wouldn't have a problem with it...a lot of meat on the bone there...right guard would get a whole lot more move athletic...there'd be a learning curve cause he's a little raw
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post

My issue with Lewan is the number of penalties he gets...way too many and way too many of them are of the 15-yard type. Not sure I like the mental makeup there.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Nice write up Mr hoops.

So what are the chances Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, and Martin are off the board when we pick at 19? I'm thinking we have to use a 1st rounder, or at the very minimum a 2nd rounder on an OL, being that we can't wait for our OL draft picks to develop. We need players that can start immediately.
    my position after studying the draft and knowing our situation is if i'm miami i'm getting my left tackle and left guard in free agency and my right tacklein the draft...there's plug and play right tackle in the draft...where we are picking left tackle scheme fit is gonna be tough...and finding left tackles with the movement skills and plug and play ability in the later rounds we want for the scheme looks dicey to say the least...the only other guy i might trust to start on the left side from the get go is jawuan james cause of his pass pro play but he's anything but an ideal fit...

i'd much rather get the left tackle as a proven veteran...and i'm sure philbin being his life is riding on it would too vs a rookie...

right guard you can find that...

mathews robinson both going top 6 lewan could go to the giants at #12 if he's on their board could fall out of the top 20 if he's off boards...lewan the only shot we'd have...i feel pretty confident zach martin is there at #19 if we want him...
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    ND
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched Billy Turner a lot in college. I think some of his bad habits came because he so dominated most of his competition in FCS. I really liked how he performed at the Senior Bowl. Always seemed to get to the second level. I could see him at right tackle in Miami. Seems like a good kid and bought into the "team" concept at NDSU. Definitely knows about winning with three national championships! He always played well in the playoffs.
    Just win.... please!
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Part of Matt Patchan's injury history is getting shot in the shoulder at a park and two motor scooter accidents. He blew out his ACL, broke his wrist and tore a pectoral muscle on top of that, but if the injuries are behind him I think that he can play. He looked solid at the combine and ripped off a 4.84 40 at the combine on his first run, I think with a 1.59 10 yard split as well. I'd take a late round shot on him, not sure what pick or picks were sent to the Ravens in the McKinnie deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gh5N_hM6g
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoops is right fix the Left T in FA and select the BPA at 19 - I like Dix and Ebron and find a RT and RBs in rd 2 and 3 or DT in rd 2 if we select a Wr or TE at 19 - we can't start a pure Rook at L. Tackle
    Pastor stands up in Church from the pulpit and asks the congregation if they know what the resurrection is about? Small child in a pew puts his hands up and would like to answer, pastor asks the child to answer, Boy says "If the resurrection persists over 4 hours you have to call a doctor"
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Based off where we are now I would be a big fan of adding Billy Turner in the 3rd and Trai Turner in the 4th. Maybe we get lucky and can scoop up Strief but that remains to be seen. My guess is they would take someone earlier than the 3rd though if that was the case. Adding one more starter via FA would be huge..but there really aren't many guarantees out there.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    my position after studying the draft and knowing our situation is if i'm miami i'm getting my left tackle and left guard in free agency and my right tacklein the draft...there's plug and play right tackle in the draft...where we are picking left tackle scheme fit is gonna be tough...and finding left tackles with the movement skills and plug and play ability in the later rounds we want for the scheme looks dicey to say the least...the only other guy i might trust to start on the left side from the get go is jawuan james cause of his pass pro play but he's anything but an ideal fit...

i'd much rather get the left tackle as a proven veteran...and i'm sure philbin being his life is riding on it would too vs a rookie...

right guard you can find that...

mathews robinson both going top 6 lewan could go to the giants at #12 if he's on their board could fall out of the top 20 if he's off boards...lewan the only shot we'd have...i feel pretty confident zach martin is there at #19 if we want him...
    You called it hoops.. We got our lt and lg in fa.. Seems like a rt in the first 2 rounds and we are set

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    We've got to make HOF an honorary Crew member.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeckHOF View Post
    I want no part of induction into your sinful little get-together you have here, squatting on internet bandwith that could be used in better, more productive ways.
    Quote Quote