Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there no end in sight for poor leadership in this country?

1. -21
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Is there no end in sight for poor leadership in this country?

We need to figure out some crowd funding route for elections. If we can finance big budget games and films via kickstarter, in the digital age there must be some way to fix this broken campaign finance system. The only problem is that those crowd funding systems will inevitably be hacked and the corporate donors will still grease the pockets to make washington spin to their whims... Unfortunately I don't see a clear way out of this broken 2 party system predicament until such a time that the American populace is completely fed up with our representation. Considering the NSA revelations hardly registered a whimper from the masses, nothing short of economic collapse will change anything.

Fact is, most people are only moved to action when desperation of putting food on the table sinks in. We Americans are still comparatively well-to-do and comfortable, even with the decades of blundering fools running the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SkapePhin; 03-06-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher, Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    We need to figure out some crowd funding route for elections. If we can finance big budget games and films via kickstarter, in the digital age there must be some way to fix this broken campaign finance system. The only problem is that those crowd funding systems will inevitably be hacked and the corporate donors will still grease the pockets to make washington spin to their whims... Unfortunately I don't see a clear way out of this broken 2 party system predicament until such a time that the American populace is completely fed up with our representation. Considering the NSA revelations hardly registered a whimper from the masses, nothing short of economic collapse will change anything.

Fact is, most people are only moved to action when desperation of putting food on the table sinks in. We Americans are still comparatively well-to-do and comfortable, even with the decades of blundering fools running the country.

Although I don't think campaign finance changes will help much, I agree with most everything you say here. People vote with their personal, short-term interests in mind and do not consider the impact of their votes on everyone else. People also tend to vote one or two issues and ignore the rest. Admittedly, my hot button(s) is the economy and to a lesser degree taxes. Nothing is going to change here until the American public demands more from our politicians. Unfortunately, most people don't care or aren't smart enough to know they are tightening the noose around their own neck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't see a clear way out of this broken 2 party system predicament until such a time that the American populace is completely fed up with our representation.
    I have some ideas. I think the basic framework of a solution could look like this:
    1. Ban all private money. Not even your own. Private money is what makes Congress into a millionaire's club. Make all elections publicly funded. In our current system, corporations donate large sums to campaigns, parties, PACs, etc. They are repaid with government contracts that are often worth hundreds, sometimes thousands of times the amount of the political contribution. Often, these contracts are for superfluous projects.
    2. Make candidates jump through hoops to run. Create a path to getting on the ballot by having candidates perform specific tasks in order to advance towards the public funding stage in the campaign. I have some ideas about what some of those qualifications should be but it would require a lengthy process involving some very smart people to come up with an actual working plan. However, I'd include in that plan some mechanism to make the candidates themselves get into the neighborhoods and knock on doors, or stand outside the supermarkets, etc., and actually meet the people they're representing.
    3. Require the collection of a certain number of signatures to advance past the first step in the process. But make it so that candidates have to rely on their own feet to collect those signatures and can't just hire a bunch of lackeys at minimum wage to do the foot work for them. Tie the number of signatures collected to public funding.
    For instance, Candidate A has a two month window to collect 2000 signatures supporting his/her candidacy. If he achieves the 2000, a small stipend is provided to help achieve the next plateau. In this way, we quickly weed out the candidates that aren't serious about running, or are too lazy to put in the time to connect with their constituency as a good candidate should. Should any candidate spend beyond their stipend, they're disqualified from running.

Those are just some ideas I've been tossing around in my head for years. None of them are possible given the current condition that allows for near unlimited flows of money to come into the process from corporations, many of whom are able to make their contributions secretly. Honestly, I'd prefer a parliamentary system over what we have now. In those systems, attaining majority status often requires compromising with others holding opposing ideas.
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

The Evolution of the Tannehill Booster

First Stage: Tannehill is going to be a star in this league.
    Second Stage: Tannehill is better than RGIII, Wilson, etc.
    Third Stage: Tannehill is better than some other AFC East quarterback except Tom Brady.
    Fourth Stage: Tannehill isn't the only problem on the team.

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the vibe i get from Elizabeth Warren. Oh God! Can you imagine if she clipped Hilldawg? Warren becoming the first official female President in our history.Lol. That taste like a mouth full of cat **** to the Clintons.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by studsatele View Post
    I like the vibe i get from Elizabeth Warren. Oh God! Can you imagine if she clipped Hilldawg? Warren becoming the first official female President in our history.Lol. That taste like a mouth full of cat **** to the Clintons.
    If Warren gets the nomination, the election will be handed to the republican candidate. I really hope she beats Clinton, Biden and the rest of the democrat freak show.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    If Warren gets the nomination, the election will be handed to the republican candidate.
    Why? I think her message and her willingness to stand up to Wall St. will resonate with the American people.

I really hope she beats Clinton, Biden and the rest of the democrat freak show.
    Please... how can you point a finger and yell "freak show" after the parade of idiots the GOP hauled out in '12. Even with Obama's numbers down, they couldn't make it close, and I don't see anyone in the wings that's any better.
    Last edited by JTC111; 03-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Warren gets the nomination, the election will be handed to the republican candidate. I really hope she beats Clinton, Biden and the rest of the democrat freak show.
    I think she'd beat 35 iq points outta pretty much any GOP candidate she went up against, not named Ron Paul. I think she'd galvanize a majority of this country. And when i mean beat them, im talking about the debates, i think she'd win the arguement. Of course that don't always equal winning the election.
    Last edited by studsatele; 03-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by studsatele View Post
    I think she'd beat 35 iq points outta pretty much any GOP candidate she went up against, not named Ron Paul. I think she'd galvanize a majority of this country. And when i mean beat them, im talking about the debates, i think she'd win the arguement. Of course that don't always equal winning the election.

Funny how the liberals are already looking past Billiary? Benghazi got her tongue? Nah..she will roll out Bill to support her and all will be well..

I beg to differ. Looking forward to the debates. Anyone with a D next to their name is a cooked goose this time around. Obama care bills will be front burner. Should be entertaining. We will see.

I would like to see her against Perry though, if she has half a brain, that would make for good comedy.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Funny how the liberals are already looking past Billiary?
    Neither HRC or BC are "liberals." Both are corporatists. So is Obama for that matter.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hillary, Christie, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan are the supposed contenders to get the nominations for their respective parties.

After nearly two decades of god-awful leadership at the top, we are lining up THESE candidates to take the mantle?

I used to have some respect for Christie's no-nonsense demeanor, but bridge-gate exposed him as a fraud. I used to be somewhat attracted to Rand's libertarian sensibilities, but he too has been exposed to be your typical Washington politician playing games for power at the expense of the people.

Why does it seem as if there has been a leadership vacuum in the executive office in Dolphin-like proportions? There doesn't seem to be a single inspiring figure out there that would give us any hope of displaying true leadership and doing what's best for the future of the nation and it's people, rather than for corporate cronies and political allies.

Just a sad state of affairs...

I agree with that except Rand Paul.......who I think would be an outstanding President.

The Tea Party movement is growing and I believe will take this Country back from the Leftists and the Neo-Cons.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote