Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Limbaugh claims slave is magic word that brought film oscar

  1. -31
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    7,449
    vCash:
    24338
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike13 View Post
    I wonder if those who cry out "LIBERAL GUILT" would rather have us forget slavery ever happened and ignore the dark parts of our history.

    Every country has something messed up in their past, we need to remember our tragic, uncomfortable history so one day we don't repeat it.
    I'm sure there are people like that nevertheless it's not the only reason to say that the Oscars tend to be influenced by liberal guilt. I mean, let's not pretend the Oscars are either objective or important... and neither is anyone's opinion about what movies "should" win or "would have" won if not for liberal guilt really mean anything. It's just an opinion. I think liberal guilt factors into it, just as it factors into the decision of a lot of celebrities to shop at Whole Foods or drive electric cars.

    In Rush's case though he's just throwing red meat at his jackass listeners.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    JTC111's Avatar
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2012
    Posts:
    2,417
    vCash:
    18004
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Hollywood of old is not Hollywood today....so you cannot go way back in history as Hollywood today is controlled by leftists .

    There are no John Wayne's or Lee Marvin's left anymore.
    I have to laugh at this. You named two guys, one served in the military with distinction and received a Purple Heart, the other was a draft dodger who avoided enlistment to make movies about war while braver men went off to real war. One was a republican, one was a liberal democrat. Can we guess who's who?

    I'll give you a hint, Lee Marvin didn't just play soldier in Hollywood, and he wasn't a Republican.
    Last edited by JTC111; 03-11-2014 at 06:23 AM.
    Jim

    "A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."


    Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,591
    vCash:
    24213
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I'm sure there are people like that nevertheless it's not the only reason to say that the Oscars tend to be influenced by liberal guilt. I mean, let's not pretend the Oscars are either objective or important... and neither is anyone's opinion about what movies "should" win or "would have" won if not for liberal guilt really mean anything. It's just an opinion. I think liberal guilt factors into it, just as it factors into the decision of a lot of celebrities to shop at Whole Foods or drive electric cars.

    In Rush's case though he's just throwing red meat at his jackass listeners.
    well if the Oscars reflect so called liberal guilt they don't feel guilty since only one movie about slavery has ever won best picture and only one film in the entire 86 year history of the awards that was directed by a man of color.
    It was an idiotic statement without one actual bit of reasoning behind it. Limbaugh thinks the sky is falling since we have a black president and now a black director helmed the best picture.
    Who knows maybe fatazz can blame the drugs for his idiotic rants.
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    7,449
    vCash:
    24338
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    well if the Oscars reflect so called liberal guilt they don't feel guilty since only one movie about slavery has ever won best picture and only one film in the entire 86 year history of the awards that was directed by a man of color.
    It was an idiotic statement without one actual bit of reasoning behind it. Limbaugh thinks the sky is falling since we have a black president and now a black director helmed the best picture.
    Who knows maybe fatazz can blame the drugs for his idiotic rants.
    That Limbaugh said something idiotic goes without saying.

    That Oscar voting reflects liberal values -- given that the majority of Hollywood is liberal -- also should go without saying. If voting for the Oscars was held in an Episcopalian Church in rural Kansas wouldn't they probably reflect conservative values? This is pretty common sense stuff, and to be honest I don't see why anybody cares about who wins except the people directly involved with the various projects. Few things in this world matter less than the Oscars.

    However, the fact that only one "slavery" movie has won best picture in 86 years actually brings up a much more interesting point than the one you're trying to make, which is that while Hollywood isn't averse to rewarding a movie made about slavery (or a liberal sense of racial politics and issues generally), it isn't particularly willing to make a movie about slavery. I mean, you look back and it's subject that only barely comes up, especially relative to it's historical importance. The two relatively recent movies that jump to mind made before 12 Years a Slave and Django Unchained are Amistad and Glory, both of which are primarily told from the perspective of white characters. Before that you've basically got to go all the way to Mandingo in the 70s, which I've never seen (it's supposed to be pretty damn trashy).

    12 Years a Slave, by the way, doesn't count as a change in this sensibility, as McQueen is British and the majority of the 12 Years a Slave cast was born overseas. Hollywood has obviously made an evaluation that slavery isn't really a subject people want to see. Until that changes, there won't be many opportunities for slavery movies to lose or win at the Oscars. They simply won't get made at all.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 03-11-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    31,591
    vCash:
    24213
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    That Limbaugh said something idiotic goes without saying.

    That Oscar voting reflects liberal values -- given that the majority of Hollywood is liberal -- also should go without saying. If voting for the Oscars was held in an Episcopalian Church in rural Kansas wouldn't they probably reflect conservative values? This is pretty common sense stuff, and to be honest I don't see why anybody cares about who wins except the people directly involved with the various projects. Few things in this world matter less than the Oscars.

    However, the fact that only one "slavery" movie has won best picture in 86 years actually brings up a much more interesting point than the one you're trying to make, which is that while Hollywood isn't averse to rewarding a movie made about slavery (or a liberal sense of racial politics and issues generally), it isn't particularly willing to make a movie about slavery. I mean, you look back and it's subject that only barely comes up, especially relative to it's historical importance. The two relatively recent movies that jump to mind made before 12 Years a Slave and Django Unchained are Amistad and Glory, both of which are primarily told from the perspective of white characters. Before that you've basically got to go all the way to Mandingo in the 70s, which I've never seen (it's supposed to be pretty damn trashy).

    12 Years a Slave, by the way, doesn't count as a change in this sensibility, as McQueen is British and the majority of the 12 Years a Slave cast was born overseas. Hollywood has obviously made an evaluation that slavery isn't really a subject people want to see. Until that changes, there won't be many opportunities for slavery movies to lose or win at the Oscars. They simply won't get made at all.
    Hollywood makes movies based on profit. when the majority of your big audience in America is white, slavery is not usually a big draw at the box office. People like Limbaugh would really like to not discuss the subject or even talk about the residual affects of slavery and discrimination.
    Its a painful subject and many people dont like looking in the mirror at America's past. 12 years a slave isn't really some feel good movie that people will leave the theaters with smiles on. As for why Hollywood doesn't make movies on Slavery very often and from a black perspective is not many studios will finance that film as there are few people in power at the studios that are black. Its kind of like the NFL was for years with black coaches and still is with black gm's. This is what some whites will never understand about the residual affects of racism. Due to the way people of color were excluded from these positions for so long there is really no one in these positions now.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    JTC111's Avatar
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2012
    Posts:
    2,417
    vCash:
    18004
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Hollywood of old is not Hollywood today....so you cannot go way back in history as Hollywood today is controlled by leftists .
    Perhaps there's a good reason why conservatives don't dominate Hollywood...

    Right Wing Pastor Worried That Satan Is Using 'Frozen' To Turn Kids Gay

    New 'Annie' Is Black And The Racists (Unsurprisingly) Freak Out

    Pat Robertson: Demons Get 'Permission' To Wreck Your Car From X-Rated Movies

    Include the Limbaugh story and that's a lot of insanity in the span of just one week.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Dogbone34's Avatar
    cowboy surfer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,690
    vCash:
    2059
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    even ellen joked in her monologue that 12 years would win best picture or everyone is a racist. nothing to see here unless you're looking..
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,846
    vCash:
    14938
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I'm sure there are people like that nevertheless it's not the only reason to say that the Oscars tend to be influenced by liberal guilt. I mean, let's not pretend the Oscars are either objective or important... and neither is anyone's opinion about what movies "should" win or "would have" won if not for liberal guilt really mean anything. It's just an opinion. I think liberal guilt factors into it, just as it factors into the decision of a lot of celebrities to shop at Whole Foods or drive electric cars.

    In Rush's case though he's just throwing red meat at his jackass listeners.
    Ding, ding, ding ... We have a winner.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    Is it training camp yet?




    Just because you don't agree with someone,
    does not give you the right to attack them.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2010
    Posts:
    1,799
    vCash:
    4014
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    I didn't see every movie nominated for Best Picture this year, but I did see 12 years, American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street and Gravity.

    Gravity was probably the most overrated movie I saw all year. I actually fell asleep for about 5 minutes during it, it was that boring. I get that it was supposed to be visually amazing, but I just couldn't get into it.

    Wolf of Wall Street was disappointing by Scorsese standards. Jonah Hill's accent was horrible and it was basically just a bland Wall Street sucks movie.

    American Hustle was another movie where Jennifer Lawrence's fake accent made me want to shoot myself. I grew up where people talk with the accents that they were portraying so to me it just seems so fake and forced. Amy Adams was great like she usually is and Christian Bale was alright, Bradley Cooper sucks in my book. It was also kind of funny to me how they portrayed Camden in the movie. If you just watched that movie and had no other knowledge you would have no idea that Camden is a third world country.

    As for 12 Years a Slave, it was above and beyond the best picture of the year. The acting was great, and the story was also amazing. I really don't get the criticism that it won just for being a slave movie, if you watched it you would know that it was the best movie of the year.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. You are a Slave. Happy Tax Day!!!
    By Dolphins9954 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
  2. You are a slave to the government
    By Dolphins9954 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 01:12 PM
  3. Importing a Slave Class
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
  4. Limbaugh runs away from Limbaugh (Keith Olbermann)
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •