Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio continues to cut early voting period

1. -1
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Ohio continues to cut early voting period

Ohio voters will no longer be able to take part in early voting on Sundays or weekday nights, according to hours set by Secretary of State Jon Husted.

The AP reports voters will only get two Saturdays to cast early, in-person ballots during the statewide election this fall.

In a release on the "fair and uniform voting hours," Husted explained the goal of cutting back on opportunities for early voting.

“In 2014, absentee voters will have the option of voting in person for four weeks, or they can vote without ever leaving home by completing the absentee ballot request form we will be sending all voters,” Husted said. “Our goal is to make it easy to vote and hard to cheat and to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity in the voting process no matter which method they choose.”

The cuts to early voting hours could negatively impact African-Americans and voters who take part in "Souls to the Polls" drives after church on the Sundays leading up to Election Day, MSNBC reports:

There’s little doubt that cuts to early voting target blacks disproportionately. In 2008, black voters were 56% of all weekend voters in Cuyahoga County, Ohio’s largest, even though they made up just 28% of the county’s population.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4855834.html

If at first you dont succeed, try, try, try again.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't necessarily want to debate this move in Ohio but would like to know why it is that blacks tend to utilize early voting and weekend voting more than other demographics? It can't just be a church thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I don't necessarily want to debate this move in Ohio but would like to know why it is that blacks tend to utilize early voting and weekend voting more than other demographics? It can't just be a church thing.

I'd like to know where all this voter fraud is happening.

As for the weekend thing, I can't speak for Ohio, but I live in a predominantly black neighborhood and I see a lot of voter registration/early voting drives on weekends to get people to vote. Probably just because people are out more on the weekends, so they can reach a larger number of voters.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Church plays a large part of it. From my understanding, people rely on the church to organize community events(of sorts) that help people get to the various voting places. At the moment i couldnt find any studies to definitively state that conclusion(though admittedly i just did a quick glance for it but i have read such things before), but i have thrown up numbers that indirectly support that conclusion in the past, an example being:

In Florida, 150 black pastors organized "Operation Lemonade" -- named for the "lemon" they were handed when Gov. Scott cut early voting. Although the state reduced the number of early voting days from 14 to eight, and eliminated voting on the Sunday before Election Day, nearly as many voters -- 2.4 million in all -- voted early as in 2008.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/donna-...b_2124539.html
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I appreciate the responses from you two. I have never really lived in a huge metropolis except for Charlotte, NC so I admittedly do not identify with some of the issues that people might face in trying to vote. From my perspective, if you have a week or more to vote then you have ample time to adjust your schedule and make it to the polls. The article that Spesh posted on Florida didn't surprise me that cutting the number of days of early voting had little effect on the outcome. Perhaps it is time to set some more standardized rules for national elections? I know, I can't believe that I said that either.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    I appreciate the responses from you two. I have never really lived in a huge metropolis except for Charlotte, NC so I admittedly do not identify with some of the issues that people might face in trying to vote. From my perspective, if you have a week or more to vote then you have ample time to adjust your schedule and make it to the polls. The article that Spesh posted on Florida didn't surprise me that cutting the number of days of early voting had little effect on the outcome. Perhaps it is time to set some more standardized rules for national elections? I know, I can't believe that I said that either.

I'd rather they focus their energy on the far bigger issue of campaign finance, but I have no problem with national standards for federal elections.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I'd rather they focus their energy on the far bigger issue of campaign finance, but I have no problem with national standards for federal elections.
    I would agree but don't see that happening in this lifetime. Money doesn't want to lose its power.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gonzo, you seem to champion the public finance issue so I have a question. What keeps the incumbent from an unfair advantage in finance if they control the distribution of funds? How do you keep it fair across the board? Both sides have proven completely incapable of playing fair, IMO.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

There are many benefits to keeping the early voting period the way it is(or was i should say) but one of the more specific examples would be: it helps out military personnel immensely. I believe youve mentioned in the past that your a veteran, so im sure you know much better than i how much of a pain in the ass it would be to get all of that taken care of in such a short time. If i recall correctly that was one of the Obama administrations main arguments when they went after Ohio before the 2012 election when they got cute then.

The surge in 2012 in Florida(and other states, Ohio actually had increased voter turnout than in 2008) was largely due to peoples (rightful) outrage over the tactics. I applauded how serious people took it. That said, how long can such outrage continue? How many years can people feel insulted? The true danger here is establishing an standard for this crap, because once its set it wont be easy to fix it.

I absolutely agree with your solution, we do need to standardize it. Regardless of our personal views and leanings, i think we can all agree how alarming it is for the government to decide elections, no matter which party benefits from such decisions. Voting hours, registration purges, redistricting...all the games need to stop and the states have shown they are not only willing to look the other way, but actively join in. Heres a random example of redistricting(this is actually from 2012 but should still serve the purpose):

That make sense to anyone? If so, send me a pm to explain it because im baffled(for reasons other than just "corruption" that is ). As redistricting is hardly a new tactic im certain there are even more insane examples out there. So yes, i am absolutely for setting a national standard. Unfortunately, it would be political suicide for whoever tries to campaign on that idea. I dont see a practical solution anytime soon, so its in everyones best interest to keep an eye on these tactics.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Gonzo, you seem to champion the public finance issue so I have a question. What keeps the incumbent from an unfair advantage in finance if they control the distribution of funds? How do you keep it fair across the board? Both sides have proven completely incapable of playing fair, IMO.

I wish I had the answer and I agree 100% that it's both sides, which means there is little reason for either to push for legitimate change. Between the incumbent advantage you mentioned and the larger role corporations can play, the whole system is ****ed. I can't help but laugh whenever somebody refers to this as a democracy. DINO. Hell, Republic isn't even accurate. Our individual votes matter less and less every day. The effort they put into voter reform is only keeping up the farce that it actually matters.

It's sad that I'm already this cynical of the system at 33, but it hasn't changed much since I was 18 (2008) and my presidential election experience was never receiving my (along with many other military members') absentee ballot.
    Quote Quote