Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Space Ripples Reveal Big Bang’s Smoking Gun

1. -1
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo

Space Ripples Reveal Big Bang’s Smoking Gun

Very cool and very exciting. Not only does it support the Big Bang, it also supports the Multiverse.

On Monday, Dr. Guth’s starship came in. Radio astronomers reported that they had seen the beginning of the Big Bang, and that his hypothesis, known undramatically as inflation, looked right.

Reaching back across 13.8 billion years to the first sliver of cosmic time with telescopes at the South Pole, a team of astronomers led by John M. Kovac of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics detected ripples in the fabric of space-time — so-called gravitational waves — the signature of a universe being wrenched violently apart when it was roughly a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second old. They are the long-sought smoking-gun evidence of inflation, proof, Dr. Kovac and his colleagues say, that Dr. Guth was correct.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/sc...-big-bang.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    The timing couldn't be better as Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a whole new generation of kids interested in science. I'm looking forward to the next couple of years as they try to prove and disprove these findings; and if they confirm them, it opens so many more doors.

Here's the actual results, for anybody interested:

http://bicepkeck.org/

published: http://arxiv.org/list/astro-ph.CO/recent --> http://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.3985.pdf

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    The timing couldn't be better as Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a whole new generation of kids interested in science. I'm looking forward to the next couple of years as they try to prove and disprove these findings; and if they confirm them, it opens so many more doors.
    Just got done with the second episode. Mostly focused on evolution in this one. Really interesting stuff, especially towards the end about Titan -one of the moons orbiting Saturn- and it's oceans, lakes, and rivers of liquid methane. Apparently it's got a lot of water as well, but at two-hundred degrees below zero, it's all frozen solid. Makes you wonder whether the conditions necessary for life are broader than we anticipated, and the universe might be teaming with very simple forms of life.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I am a golden god

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "La la la la, I cant hear you la la la la" - Creationists.
    Once Dmac is drafted a Dmac Jersey will spontaneously materialize in the closet of each and every Dolfan...

...and not that replica crap either...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike13 View Post
    "La la la la, I cant hear you la la la la" - Creationists.
    Some of us creationists actually believe in science, even craziness like the Big Bang and gasp! evolution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Some of us creationists actually believe in science, even craziness like the Big Bang and gasp! evolution.

The Big Bang was first postulated by a roman catholic priest.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

You can be creationists and still believe in theories of evolution.

Science is an infant when compared to a cosmic time scale.

You and I will never fully be able to "know" and "understand" fully that which is the cosmos, and that in itself can be defined as "godly". I do know one thing, I'd go if I could, if you had a ship and it was leaving for the stars there is something in me that tells me I should be out there somewhere.

I have no idea if this me is just passing through this time as a filler but I do know I have a sense of exploration that isn't fulfilled within me.

I am an engineer with a huge science background, I love science and the unknown but I also "know" what Socrates knew, i know nothing. It sounds like a cliché but you can only prove what is defined by the set of laws that are governing your definition, it only takes one single instant of unknown change to rewrite laws that govern our definitions.

People hold the Bible as single infallible truth, like a dictionary defines words but I believe the Bible to more of a collection of accounts, assembled by men and like all men they make mistakes when they write about that which is not fully understood. It would be no different than reading a science text from the 1200's or even the 1800's from that matter. The one beautiful thing about the Bible and what it represents is that which is undefinable and with that it will always transcend time because time is a man made thing, time only exists because we needed it as a measure of length or in our case life.
    Last edited by NY8123; 03-19-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I am a golden god

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Good for you, you are not a fundamentalist.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hattiesburg MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    You can be creationists and still believe in theories of evolution.

Science is an infant when compared to a cosmic time scale.

You and I will never fully be able to "know" and "understand" fully that which is the cosmos, and that in itself can be defined as "godly". I do know one thing, I'd go if I could, if you had a ship and it was leaving for the stars there is something in me that tells me I should be out there somewhere.

I have no idea if this me is just passing through this time as a filler but I do know I have a sense of exploration that isn't fulfilled within me.

I am an engineer with a huge science background, I love science and the unknown but I also "know" what Socrates knew, i know nothing. It sounds like a cliché but you can only prove what is defined by the set of laws that are governing your definition, it only takes one single instant of unknown change to rewrite laws that govern our definitions.

People hold the Bible as single infallible truth, like a dictionary defines words but I believe the Bible to more of a collection of accounts, assembled by men and like all men they make mistakes when they write about that which is not fully understood. It would be no different than reading a science text from the 1200's or even the 1800's from that matter. The one beautiful thing about the Bible and what it represents is that which is undefinable and with that it will always transcend time because time is a man made thing, time only exists because we needed it as a measure of length or in our case life.
    Very well said
    Quote Quote