Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen)

  1. -1
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,902
    vCash:
    2771
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen)

    1. Todd Gurley / Georgia / 6'1", 232

    2. Melvin Gordon / Wisconsin / 6'1", 207

    3. Duke Johnson / Miami / 5'9", 196

    4. Kenneth Dixon / Louisiana Tech / 5'10", 220

    5. Jay Ajayi / Boise St. / 6'0", 220

    6. Mike Davis / South Carolina / 5'9", 215

    7. Trey Edmunds / Virginia Tech / 6'1", 216

    8. T.J. Yeldon / Alabama / 6'2", 218

    9. Imani Cross / Nebraska / 6'1", 225

    10. Dwayne Washington / Washington / 6'1", 220

    11. Kenyon Drake / Alabama / 6'1", 201



    Believe me, I'm not exaggerating when I say Drake might be the fastest player in all of college football. His explosion, acceleration, and speed is extremely rare.


    12. Jamaal Williams / BYU / 6'0", 210

    13. Trey Williams / Texas A&M / 5'8", 195

    14. Storm Woods / Oregon St. / 6'0", 205

    15. Josh Robinson / Mississippi St. / 5'9", 225

    16. Keith Marshall / Georgia / 5'11", 219

    17. Javorius Allen / USC / 6'1", 215

    18. Byron Marshall / Oregon / 5'10", 207

    19. Barry Sanders Jr. / Stanford / 5'10", 192

    20. Michael Gordon / Arkansas St. / 5'9", 187

    21. B.J. Catalon / TCU / 5'9", 190

    22. Shock Linwood / Baylor / 5'8", 200

    23. Tre Madden / USC / 6'1", 220

    24. Dallas Crawford / Miami / 5'10", 196


    Probably making the switch to safety this year, but if that doesn't work out... I know what he can do at the RB position.


    25. Travis Greene / Bowling Green / 5'10", 185

    26. DeVontae McNeal / UL-Monroe / 5'10", 209

    27. Jonathan Williams / Arkansas / 6'0", 222

    28. Brandon Williams / Texas A&M / 6'0", 200

    29. Jerron Seymour / Vanderbilt / 5'7", 200

    30. Robert Lowe / Texas St. / 5'10", 195

    31. I'Tavius Mathers / Ole Miss / 5'11", 189

    32. DeAndre Washington / Texas Tech / 5'8", 190

    33. Tra Carson / Texas A&M / 6'0", 230

    34. Leon Allen / Western Kentucky / 6'0", 235

    35. Roderick Williams / Minnesota / 5'11", 235

    36. Jaylen Walton / Ole Miss / 5'8", 170

    37. Andre Given / Bowling Green / 5'9", 200






    Fullbacks:

    1. Quayvon Hicks / Georgia / 6'2", 257

    You won't see me using the words "special talent" very often when discussing fullbacks. I'll use 'em here....
    Hicks will move to TE in 2014 because of injuries and lack of depth at the TE position for Georgia.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 07-28-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    1,736
    vCash:
    3993
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Slimm: Would you say this is one of the best RB classes in a long time (provided the top end up declaring)?
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    j-off-her-doll's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2009
    Posts:
    7,957
    vCash:
    7679
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like where you have Yeldon, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Drake bypass him. I'm excited to watch the race between Gurley and Gordon.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,902
    vCash:
    2771
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfanjay13 View Post
    Slimm: Would you say this is one of the best RB classes in a long time (provided the top end up declaring)?
    I think in terms of quality depth, it's shaping up to be in that category potentially. I believe you have some special talent at the top of the underclassman list, along with Senior Karlos Williams.

    I'll always believe that the 1999 RB class of Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, Kevin Faulk, Cecil Collins, and Olandis Gary was one of the best I ever saw. What's ironic about this class is that Cecil Collins belonged at the top with Ricky Williams and E. James in terms of talent. I'll never forget watching that 230+ yard performance he put up against Auburn as a true freshman in only his 2nd or 3rd game for LSU. The balance, power, speed, and vision he displayed for a kid just removed from high school was phenomenal.

    I think the difference is that backs aren't used as much like workhorses in the NFL now like they were back then. However, Todd Gurley is as special as any RB that has come along in recent years. You can build an offense around this kid for 3-5 years if you choose to....he's that complete of a back already. Melvin Gordon is kinda like the Cordarrelle Patterson of runningbacks. Duke Johnson is truly a special back... he's not anoverhyped back coming out of the University of Miami like Lamar Miller because of the lineage of backs that the program has produced. No, Duke Johnson is at minimum twice the player that Lamar Miller was or will be.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    1,736
    vCash:
    3993
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I think in terms of quality depth, it's shaping up to be in that category potentially. I believe you have some special talent at the top of the underclassman list, along with Senior Karlos Williams.

    I'll always believe that the 1999 RB class of Edgerrin James, Ricky Williams, Kevin Faulk, Cecil Collins, and Olandis Gary was one of the best I ever saw. What's ironic about this class is that Cecil Collins belonged at the top with Ricky Williams and E. James in terms of talent. I'll never forget watching that 230+ yard performance he put up against Auburn as a true freshman in only his 2nd or 3rd game for LSU. The balance, power, speed, and vision he displayed for a kid just removed from high school was phenomenal.

    I think the difference is that backs aren't used as much like workhorses in the NFL now like they were back then. However, Todd Gurley is as special as any RB that has come along in recent years. You can build an offense around this kid for 3-5 years if you choose to....he's that complete of a back already. Melvin Gordon is kinda like the Cordarrelle Patterson of runningbacks. Duke Johnson is truly a special back... he's not anoverhyped back coming out of the University of Miami like Lamar Miller because of the lineage of backs that the program has produced. No, Duke Johnson is at minimum twice the player that Lamar Miller was or will be.
    As usual, good stuff.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,902
    vCash:
    2771
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I like where you have Yeldon, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Drake bypass him. I'm excited to watch the race between Gurley and Gordon.
    Yeldon has already been passed on the depth chart by the Freak Show known as Derrick Henry. It's not a stretch to think that Drake could pass him for the backup job.

    Yeldon's first problem is ball security. He's a fumble waiting to happen... and you can bet it's going to happen in a crucial moment.. inside the 10 yard line while the offense is going in to score and seize momentum of a big game. He's always had an upright running style, but Coach Burns usually remedies pad level very quickly with Bama's backs. The fact that he hasn't been able to yet with Yeldon causes concern for me. He's either uncoachable or incapable. Either way, it's not a good thing. His second problem is he runs hesitant now... doesn't explode through the hole like he did as a freshman. He's become awful in short yardage situations because he runs so upright.

    I thought it was a bad idea not to play Drake more against Auburn and Oklahoma last year. Both losses. A star was born in the Sugar Bowl (Henry) but nothing good or positive came from Drake inexplicably standing on the sidelines against Auburn.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    fininpsl's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,164
    vCash:
    3142
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My big concern with Duke Johnson is durability. He's not a big back but he runs hard, and he's taken a fair amount of punishment in his first couple of years in school. He's was knocked out of several games before he went down for the season against FSU with the leg injury. When he's healthy he's elite. And a football player through and through.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,902
    vCash:
    2771
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    My big concern with Duke Johnson is durability. He's not a big back but he runs hard, and he's taken a fair amount of punishment in his first couple of years in school. He's was knocked out of several games before he went down for the season against FSU with the leg injury. When he's healthy he's elite. And a football player through and through.

    That's true, although durability is always a question mark with RB's due to the nature of the position... and size isn't really a factor at all. Todd Gurley is knicked up more than Duke Johnson is.

    I think you have to look at what all a back is asked to do. Duke Johnson is asked to do a lot....returning kicks, contributing to the passing game out of the backfield, and obviously running between the tackles. He's a tough kid that runs hard.

    Bottom line is that he hasn't missed any games until leg injury, which would've ended any back's season. In my opinion he's proven durable. Injuries however, are going to happen.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    fininpsl's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2012
    Posts:
    1,164
    vCash:
    3142
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    That's true, although durability is always a question mark with RB's due to the nature of the position... and size isn't really a factor at all. Todd Gurley is knicked up more than Duke Johnson is.

    I think you have to look at what all a back is asked to do. Duke Johnson is asked to do a lot....returning kicks, contributing to the passing game out of the backfield, and obviously running between the tackles. He's a tough kid that runs hard.

    Bottom line is that he hasn't missed any games until leg injury, which would've ended any back's season. In my opinion he's proven durable. Injuries however, are going to happen.

    He's definitely a tough running kid. I have zero reservations about his talent (most talented offensive player UM has had since Andre Johnson), and I know you are as spot on as anybody with your evaluations. And Duke WILL play hurt. With everything else I've heard through practice reports, and at game time though, I would knock him down a round or two because of the potential injury issues. Nothing I would discuss on an open public forum, but what I've seen in person on more than one occasion would give me pause on him in the NFL partly because I know he's willing to play when perhaps he shouldn't. I also could be dead wrong with what I think. It's just a personal opinion. Frankly, I hope I am wrong of course. I'm curious as to who you think he compares to in the NFL Slimm? Chris Johnson?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    MiamiDolphin618's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,199
    vCash:
    2417
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Love me some Gurley but I think I would Gordon is equally as talented. Id have them 1a 1b interchangeably. As you mentioned with Gurley, Neither of these guys fit the "RBs are a dime a dozen" cliche. I think both have the potential to be consistent 1200 yd backs in the NFL.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Seniors)
    By TedSlimmJr in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
  3. two runningbacks
    By sinPHIN in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
  4. 2015...
    By Jt0323 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •