Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Underclassmen)

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    I'm curious as to who you think he compares to in the NFL Slimm? Chris Johnson?
    Probably not as fast as Chris Johnson, but runs tougher. I like retro comparisons as I'm a little longer in the tooth... he reminds me of Napoleon Kaufman. Tiki Barber type back if you prefer a little more recent. He's a big play waiting to happen, especially in the passing game on screens, etc.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Probably not as fast as Chris Johnson, but runs tougher. I like retro comparisons as I'm a little longer in the tooth... he reminds me of Napoleon Kaufman. Tiki Barber type back if you prefer a little more recent. He's a big play waiting to happen, especially in the passing game on screens, etc.
    Barber is a pretty interesting comparison. Duke definitely runs tough. Like a 205 lb FB at times. As for the his work in the passing game that was missing from the UM offense this past year. He only had 4 receptions. IMHO our offensive coordinator (James Coley) underutilized Duke in that manner. Jedd Fisch did a much better job getting Duke the ball in 2012. Hopefully UM does a better job of that in 2014. Always appreciate your insight. It's as good as it gets.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I was a kid when Kaufman was playing, but he was one of my favorite players in the NFL. I'd always get mad watching the Raiders, because Kaufman rarely got the touches I felt he deserved.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love me some duke johnson
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blows my mind that RB James Conner and WR Tyler Boyd aren't even eligible for these underclassmen lists yet. I'm going to have some fun watching Pitt games for the next few years. Hopefully Chad Voytik ends up a decent QB so those other two can live up to their potential. He did look decent when he came in for Savage in the bowl game. I thought he looked even better than Savage in that game, actually. Savage hadn't been having a great game.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Blows my mind that RB James Conner and WR Tyler Boyd aren't even eligible for these underclassmen lists yet. I'm going to have some fun watching Pitt games for the next few years. Hopefully Chad Voytik ends up a decent QB so those other two can live up to their potential. He did look decent when he came in for Savage in the bowl game. I thought he looked even better than Savage in that game, actually. Savage hadn't been having a great game.

They're both outstanding freshmen. Especially Boyd, he's a special talent.

I saw so many good looking freshman all over the place last year. There's a few freaks here and there that look like they could play in the NFL after their freshman seasons in the mold of Clowney, Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Adrian Peterson, etc. I think Marquez North and Laquon Treadwell both have that look at receiver.

Derrick Henry, Su'a Cravens, Vernon Hargreaves, Christian Hackenberg, Carl Lawson, Myles Jack, Laremy Tunsil, Chris Jones, Eddie Vanderdoes, Leonard Floyd, Dwayne Washington, O.J. Howard, and Alex Collins are all fantastic.

Elijah McGuire for UL-Lafayette is another one. Ryan Switzer, Alquadin Muhammad, T.J. Logan, Kareem Hunt, Jared Goff, Maty Mauk, Amba Etta, Thomas Tyner...

Florida St. had two freshman that really stood out to me in Levonte Whitfield and Nate Andrews. I watched Andrews quite a bit here in high school for Fairhope. Bama offered him but he chose FSU. Auburn has another one waiting in the wings at the QB position in Jeremy Johnson. He can play. Big, athletic kid that's going to be downright scary when he assumes the starting job for Malzahn.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 04-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah aside from Conner (who is mostly just fun to watch, it's still hard to get a bead on what his pro prospects really are) and Boyd (who legitimately has good pro prospects)...the guys I'd seen that were young and very good were Myles Jack of course, Chris Jones, Alex Collins, Carl Lawson and Vernon Hargreaves. I thought Nkemdiche played pretty well too.

I remember when USF was recruiting hard for Alex Collins, I was enamored with him. Such a great blend of physical characteristics. I don't know if he was highly rated or not, but I adored him. I do remember that when his mom went crazy and withheld his letter of intent because she wanted him to stay in Florida, I was quietly hoping it somehow led to him choosing USF after all.

Vernon Hargreaves was a no-brainer as a recruit. USF went after him hard and were in the running until near the end because of his dad. He probably made the right call going elsewhere. He was immediately better (IMO) than Purifoy, Roberson and Watkins...all of whom look a bit overrated. Hargreaves has NFL written all over him.

Whenever I'd look at a wide receiver and I'm trying to gauge whether the corner he's beating is any good or not, I don't have time to do film study on each of those individual corners so I check ratings services to see where the corner is rated. Purifoy kept being rated very high. Yet I kept using him over and over as an example of when this wide receiver beat a corner that was supposedly high rated. Eventually it stopped meaning much because obviously the ratings were wrong about Purifoy. Now that he's actually coming out of the draft himself and I've looked at him more intently, that becomes more obvious.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ajayi has terrible ball security.. Gurley is Marshawn Lynch 2.0 and definitely worth a first round pick. I really like Mike Davis, surprised you have him so low.. Melvin Gordon reminds me of Jamaal Charles but his 3rd down abilities (or lack thereof) are a huge concern for me. But man, what a talented runner
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    My big concern with Duke Johnson is durability. He's not a big back but he runs hard, and he's taken a fair amount of punishment in his first couple of years in school. He's was knocked out of several games before he went down for the season against FSU with the leg injury. When he's healthy he's elite. And a football player through and through.
    I love Duke. When he's in the game no matter the deficit I feel like we have a chance to come back. But durability in terms of injuries is not the issue with him. True he hadn't missed any games until he broke his leg vs FSU this year but he has left three games early in his career due to concussions (FAU & UNC this year & once his freshman year). All occurred when he attempted to block with his head down. That concussion history could push him down in the draft next year.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Slimm, great thread as usual. Very informative. Have you taken a close look at Tevin Coleman of Indiana yet? He's 6'1 210 with solid speed.

He had a bit of an ankle hiccup last season that limited him to 9 games but he still tied for the most 40 yard runs in the country so he's a big play guy. Here are a couple of recent articles

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/tag/_/name/tevin-coleman

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ttack/7591125/
    Quote Quote