Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins Dilemma At DE

1. -11
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wake and Jordan should start (if hes ready) and rotate OV and Shelby with them. Vernon is getting paid much less than Jordan and Jordan cost us 2 picks, so he HAS to be starting unless Vernon is that much better than Jordan. Id rather get Jordan more playing time becuase he has more potential than OV.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Now we have too much talent?!

I wonder what the 1972 Finheaven posts would have looked like?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Shelby has improved??

I think we are good to go at pass rushing DEs .... and don't need to do much about having '3', except getting Jordan on the field more often - especially as a hybrid. Next year is when there may need to be some decision about the roster, based on Wake's health - he's been kind of knicked up the last 2 seasons ... which would lead one to believe it will happen again this year. It will work itself out ....

Having an All Pro, a very good and a potential All Pro is a very good problem to have.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would use Jordan at 4-3 OLB occasionally like Von miller. If he rotates at DE and plays OLB occasionally he should see the field more. Also using Wake, Vernon, and Jordan on 3rd down would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    TRUE AMERICAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I honestly think it was part of the power struggle between Ireland and Philbin.
    ya know, i keep seeing this kind of thing and its getting more press than it deserves. in fact, ther should be NONE!!

so, this power struggle: the contract was easy. jeff ireland ran the draft and picked the players. joe philbin ran the practices and games and decided who plays and who starts.

the big power struggle was with ireland and aponte. and IF philbin was "with aponte" Iin any way, it was only in the fact that philbin was tired of getting wasted drafts and f/a's. and i am sure ireland probably butted his head in where he wasnt supposed to. his guys were not panning out, he blamed philbin because ireland new his time was short and his decisions have been under mass scrutiny for the last several years, especially the last two.

but all this "philbin didnt like ireland so he wouldnt play "his" players!! NONSENSE!! philbin is a new h/c. he has to build a reputation. you do that by winning! he isnt jeopardizing his career by sabotaging wins sitting quality players.

DION AT THIS MOMENT ISNT A QUALITY PLAYER!! he struggled in every phase accept getting off the line quick which didnt turn into sacks and he wasnt good at stopping the run. he had a a red flag on him coming out of college as not being the pass rusher/sack artists some had him pegged. and its showing up big time in the nfl, especially since he only has ONE pass rush move!! the guy should be an olb in a 3/4. i think 99% of the fans and media know that. but, that was ireland!!

sure they shut him down! he was injured and was getting owned and the coaches decided to not wreck his confidence and doubting himself. this was the RIGHT move.

but so many think that philbin was taking this awsome, unstopable talent and keeping him on the bench to get back at ireland somehow. THIS ONLY HURTS PHILBIN AND HIS STAFF!! he wouldnt, and didnt do that.

so i hope people will stop and think about this and DROP IT!!!! philbin wants to win and you have to have your BEST TALENT on the field to do it. there is NO conspiracy, not with dion or any other player on the finz roster.
    For Those Who Ride The Other Side

HOWARD: rip my brother.

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The other assumption made about Philbin is he doesn't like to play rookies. I feel it is to early to come to this conclusion based on the fact that he has only been a head coach for 2 years and in year 1 he started a rookie qb and a rookie tackle. As for last season all the rookies he had to work with were not capable of being a starter. Either the rookies were hurt or just not good enough to beat out their competition. Look at our draft last season the first 4 picks were all coming off injuries. The rookies were not 100% physically and it showed. IF Ireland were smart he would have drafted players that could help the team win starting last season not pick a bunch of injury riddled players who couldn't possibly help the team succeed for at least a couple of seasons.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CONVIGLIONUS View Post
    The other assumption made about Philbin is he doesn't like to play rookies. I feel it is to early to come to this conclusion based on the fact that he has only been a head coach for 2 years and in year 1 he started a rookie qb and a rookie tackle. As for last season all the rookies he had to work with were not capable of being a starter. Either the rookies were hurt or just not good enough to beat out their competition. Look at our draft last season the first 4 picks were all coming off injuries. The rookies were not 100% physically and it showed. IF Ireland were smart he would have drafted players that could help the team win starting last season not pick a bunch of injury riddled players who couldn't possibly help the team succeed for at least a couple of seasons.
    no evidence he doesn't like to play rookies they didn't move up in draft to not play their 3rd pick he just didn't impress enough to start , not sure why people don't get that. The same as the rest of our rookies last year.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's simple. Move Dion Jordan to OLB where he belongs. 3/4 defense is obviously where he ideally should be playing, but get creative and blitz him from OLB and have him on the line with his hand down as well- joker position. His strengths are pass rushing and his ability to move in space and cover. His weakness is getting his lanky, high center of gravity frame tied up with big OT's and getting engulfed or ridden out wide. His best position is OLB, even if it's in a creative 4/3 as opposed to the tailor made 3/4. He's meant to be a Linebacker, bottom line.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Run more 34 and I'd be happy. I realize Vernon wouldn't be the best DE in one, but for pass rushing, why not?
    Although I suppose it's a similar predicament

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    This is a problem all teams would love to have but, is also a problem to sort out snaps and get all the players on the field.

Wake is an All Pro, and his returning to health will be a big plus to our D. Vernon took a big step frfard last year, and I expect another this year. So, we are set.

Not so fast. Jordan flashed, and may have more talent than both. Playing him 20 snaps a game last year was questionable at best. This year, the #3pick MUST play but where, and who does he replace? We appear to be set on him being a DE, which I do not agree with, but, he still has to be on the field. Does a 3 man rotation work? Not sure.

And don't forget about Shelby, who has really impressed me in limited play. What to do?
    Teach one of them to play oline?
    Quote Quote