Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: How Much Climate Change Denial Can Market Bare?

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

How Much Climate Change Denial Can Market Bare?

I generally like Forbes. The people there provide a good platform for high-quality content, and they have written many nice things about us.

I was therefore surprised to read this piece of garbage by John Tamny, which Forbes published this weekend. In response to my recently-aired story about Greenland’s melting glaciers, Tamny calls me a global-warming “alarmist” and asks if I will be seeking refuge from rising sea levels in Dallas, Texas.

Ironically, the front page of this morning’s New York Times features the prominent headline, “Panel’s Warning on Climate Risk: Worst Is Yet to Come.” A similar article in today’s Wall Street Journal is headlined, “Climate Change Impact Is Wide, UN Says. Scientists Call for Swift Action on Greenhouse Gas Emissions.”

They are both referring to the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The IPCC’s report, released on Monday, was the result of the efforts of 309 scientists from 70 countries who drew on more than 12,000 research papers. In its own article, The Guardian called it “the most comprehensive picture of climate risks to date.”

Rajendra Pachauri, the panel’s chairman, said in a press conference that he hoped the IPCC’s report would “jolt people into action.” The report links climate change to a worldwide rise in wildfires, drought, and flooding.

“We are now in an era where climate change isn’t some kind of future hypothetical,” The Guardian quotes the report’s leading author, Chris Field, as saying. “We live in an area where impacts from climate change are already widespread and consequential.”

Meanwhile, Secretary of State John Kerry issued a forceful statement in which he declared, “Unless we act dramatically and quickly, science tells us our climate and our way of life are literally in jeopardy. Denial of the science is malpractice.”
    Tamny writes that his own “analysis” is “wholly free of science, as I’m not a scientist” — but not before he questions the impact of Greenland’s ice erosion on global sea levels by likening it, perplexingly, to an ice cube melting in a cup of water. He must have missed the publication of a report earlier this month in the journal Nature Climate Change that found a significant loss of ice in Greenland’s northeast, which was long thought to be stable.

“The Greenland ice sheet has been one of the largest contributors to global sea-level rise over the past 20 years,” the authors noted. They believe that projections of a global sea-level rise are underestimated because they have failed to account this surprising increase.

Rather than science, Tamny prefers “market signals” that he says “reflect a catastrophe-free future that supports the view of global-warming ‘deniers.’ ”

Did the markets predict Hurricane Katrina? ($125 billion in damages/costs)

Did they predict Hurricane Sandy? ($71 billion in damages/costs)

How about the Fukushima disaster? ($58 billion clean-up)

Typhoon Haiyan? (7,500 dead or missing and $12.5 billion in cleanup costs)

The drought in California? ($5 billion estimated loss in 2014 revenue alone)

No.
    https://news.vice.com/articles/how-m...he-market-bear
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think too many people dispute that there is some climate change. What I personally question is how much can be attributed to green house gas emissions and how much is just normal cyclic temperature change that the earth has endured for a few million years. No one on either side of the argument has presented anywhere near an accurate model that I have seen. With that, I certainly advocate cleaner lifestyles, cars, etc. However, carbon credits, cap and trade, and epic lifestyle changes are completely ludicrous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Glaciers have been melting for ten thousand years. Other wise we would still be living in the ice age.
    These are the normal cycles the world goes through.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM View Post
    Glaciers have been melting for ten thousand years. Other wise we would still be living in the ice age.
    These are the normal cycles the world goes through.
    We are living in an ice age: the Quaternary glaciation.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd be nice if it happened in like 2.2 seconds. It'd be a closer drive for me to go to the beach from Central NY, NYC would be gone along with a plethora of the worlds population, we could spread out, relax and have a drink or two while betting on what was going to wash up on shore next
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I might have to rethink this.
    Attached Images
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM View Post
    I might have to rethink this.
    OK be honest, who has removed a pair of 1720's and 1990's!!!!!!!!! I know I have!!!!!!
    Never use a big word when a little filthy one will do.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hattiesburg MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Fin View Post
    OK be honest, who has removed a pair of 1720's and 1990's!!!!!!!!! I know I have!!!!!!
    Hee hee....wait...yea I have too!!
    Quote Quote