Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

1. -11
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What's the matter Slimm? You don't like Jeff Driskel?
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    What's the matter Slimm? You don't like Jeff Driskel?

All jokes aside, I can't understand how I can look at a team like Duke and see better skill position talent on offense than I do at the U of Florida. It's absurd and not supposed to happen. Gators need to get this remedied quick fast and in a hurry. There's no excuse for it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    All jokes aside, I can't understand how I can look at a team like Duke and see better skill position talent on offense than I do at the U of Florida. It's absurd and not supposed to happen. Gators need to get this remedied quick fast and in a hurry. There's no excuse for it.
    If we go 7-5 this season like I'm expecting, I think that remedy will come quite soon.

One other thing, the NCAA seriously needs to consider changing that medical redshirt rule. They just granted Driskel another year of eligibility because he went down in the third game of last season. It's not fair that we get stuck with him for a whole extra season just because he didn't get hurt later.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I like Chuckie Keaton's playing speed. Really above-board in that area.

There are some details that exacerbate the funkiness with his release. One of them is his height which I wouldn't be shocked to come out at 6'1". Low release plus deficient height, can be a bad combination.

Keep wanting to see real NFL throws. Would love to see him open his hips and hit the sideline from far hash but with that release he's got like the funky buttlovin kid from Rookie of the Year, not sure that's happening. When he gets the ball 20+ yards up the field it's usually straight up the field so it's actually only a 22 yard throw or some such. When he throws bigger throws to the sideline they're all vertical touch passes. When he's on the run you feel like he's really limited in what targets he can choose because of the way he throws the ball.

Love that playing speed, heck of a performer, but not sure he can throw from different platforms.
    Looked pretty bad against Tennessee
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To be fair it was his first game back from an ACL tear. He didn't play that bad, they were just that overmatched from a speed, talent, and physicality standpoint.

Keeton threw some really good passes into tight coverage that receivers just flat out dropped due to intimidation. Tennessee hasn't flown around the field like that on defense in several years.

Special teams put him in a 14-0 hole fumbling kickoffs.

When he would get the ball out to his skill position players in space, they couldn't make a single tackler miss. The first defender there would always make the tackle. Utah St. was simply that outmatched on the perimeter.

He'll get better as he knocks the rust off and gets in a better frame of mind psychologically with the knee. But he still won't have much help. His receivers and backs really let him down against the Vols. They just can't matchup against all those athletes Tennessee had on defense.

They knew it early in the game and were intimidated by it. Go look at the slant that the receiver dropped with Ladarrell McNeil bearing down him. They got popped anyway...but they weren't going to catch the ball.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the things that was so special about Jameis Winston's 2013 season was how good he was on 3rd down. He converted 52.6% of 3rd downs on which he ran or threw the ball (including sacks). The rest of the quarterbacks range around 35% to 45%.

But perhaps most incredible is that he converted 59.4% of his 3rd & 10+ situations.

I think that is a situation where, especially nowadays when the NFL is coveting dual-threat quarterbacks, you catch a glimpse of a guy's true play-making skill at that position. Cody Fajardo is damn close to automatic on 3rd & Under-10 at 55.3%. But when he gets to 3rd & 10+, he is lost and only converted 12.5% of those situations.

But Jameis Winston could keep converting regardless of the situation. That hasn't translated yet this year as Winston is really only converting 33% of his 3rd downs, but it's a small sample size thus far so who knows what it will be by the end.

One thing I love about Rakeem Cato so much is his reliability on 3rd down. Heading into this year he converted 47% of his 3rd downs which in this quarterbacks class is second only to Jameis Winston. He also converted 34% of his 3rd & 10+ situations which again is second only to Jameis Winston. He converts 52% of his 3rd & Under-10 situations which is third behind Cody Fajardo and Chuckie Keeton.

If you average the 3rd & 10+ and 3rd & Under-10 conversion rates, basically you get Jameis Winston...some space...Rakeem Cato...some more space...then Kevin Hogan, Chuckie Keeton, Connor Cook, Shane Carden, etc.

Heading into this year Rakeem Cato had a 109.0 passer rating on 3rd & 4th down.

This year he's actually got a 114.8 passer rating on 3rd & 4th down and has converted 53.8% of his 3rd downs, including 50.0% of his 3rd & 10+ situations. He's really just getting better. I know some folks will question his 58% completion but they'll be remiss if they don't pay attention to his absurd 18.3 yards per completion, 10.6 yards per attempt, and incredibly high 3rd down conversion rate. He profiles as a guy that is pushing the football up the field because he's running a high octane offense and they're piling on the points, but when he needs to move the sticks he does so better than all but a few quarterbacks out there.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Slimm and CK,

Who were your top Quarterbacks last year?
    Last edited by Tannenballs; 09-30-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bridgewater, Bortles, Garoppolo, Manziel, Carr. In that order if I remember right. I may have stuck Carr above Manziel, whom I picked on a lot.

I had Bortles and Garoppolo #2 and #3 in the class back in October/November. That was before Bridgewater fell out of favor.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Bridgewater, Bortles, Garoppolo, Manziel, Carr. In that order if I remember right. I may have stuck Carr above Manziel, whom I picked on a lot.

I had Bortles and Garoppolo #2 and #3 in the class back in October/November. That was before Bridgewater fell out of favor.

I just really love the combination of arm talent, football instincts, and athleticism of Carr. He actually ran the same 40 as Manziel and had a 41 yard run on a zone read keeper vs Houston Sunday. He also has a QB rating of 80 right now, which is impressive considering he plays with the worst roster in football.

I understand some knocked him down because of his brother, the at times erratic play under pressure, that he didn't always throw from a balanced platform, and his deep ball accuracy. Which I didn't think was that bad. It's OK but not it's not terrible. He also improved substantially under pressure in 2013 compared to previous years.

I believe he is a franchise QB. And I think he can be every bit as good as Cutler. Regardless, his value was much better than Bortles or Manziel as far as where he was picked.

I bet Dave Caldwell wishes he had Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr instead of Blake Bortles and Marqise Lee. Then again, this is the same guy who drafted the 4th best offensive tackle in the draft at #2 overall so he could trade a top 10 LT for midround picks when he had all the money in the world to re-sign him.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I liked David Fales, Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr, Garroppolo.

Liked Keith Wenning, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, Jeff Mathews and Tom Savage as developmental QB's. Didn't like Tajh Boyd, McCarron, Logan Thomas, or Connor Shaw.
    Quote Quote