Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Sherman's Column on Eagles, DeSean Jackson.

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Richard Sherman's Column on Eagles, DeSean Jackson.

I grew up in Watts, and I played baseball with DeSean in elementary school on a team coached by his father near Inglewood. His father, Bill, picked me up from elementary school 30 minutes away from his home for practice and games because my parents both worked and didn’t finish until later, and I wanted to play baseball with some childhood friends. Bill was a great coach, and a great man. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2009, the summer after his son’s rookie season. DeSean and I didn’t hang out then like we did as kids.

Those men with DeSean in the social pictures and the police reports weren’t his closest friends in childhood, but when his father died and few people were there for him, they were there. When a tragic event like that happens, the people who are around are the people who are around, and they were there for him.

Was DeSean supposed to then say, “Thanks guys, but now that I’m a millionaire, please leave me alone”? Even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t have. In desperate times for people who come from desperate communities, your friends become your family. I wouldn’t expect DeSean to “distance himself” from anybody, as so many people suggest pro athletes ought to do despite having no understanding of what that means. Going to college and playing in the NFL creates a natural distance, but we can’t push people away just because they’re not as successful as us. I can’t change who I grew up with, but what I can do is try to educate them on the right way of doing things, help them when they need it, and try to keep them out of trouble.

…Should I give up on everybody out of fear of being dirtied by the media?

Sorry, but I was born in this dirt.

NFL teams understand that. The Seattle Seahawks get it. The Philadelphia Eagles apparently do not.

This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every n—– here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.

But DeSean Jackson is the menace, right? He’s just as bad as those guys he parties with because he threw up a Crip sign in a picture and he owns a gangsta rap record label. If only all record label owners were held to this standard, somebody might realize that Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg weren’t the bosses behind NWA. Jim Irsay looka likes in suits were.

But go ahead and judge DeSean for the company he keeps. While you’re at it, judge me, too, because I still live in Los Angeles, and my family does, too. We didn’t run from where we grew up. We aren’t afraid to be associated with the people who came up with us. We brought some of our money back and started charities and tried to help out a few guys who were with us when we were nobodies.
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/02/richar...esean-jackson/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    DeSean is doing fine with his $16 million guaranteed. Philly had every right to cut him for any reason. It wasn't like he wasn't going to play again.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nope anyone with any know realizes Eazy-E was behind NWA and he came out of the drug business on the streets.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't say I disagree at all with this statement. I haven't read anything that leads me to believe DJax has done anything wrong other than keep bad company and play with an attitude.

No one has come out and said he was a great teammate and I understand if that's not the image that the Eagles want to portray, but damn....dude was too good to just be shown the door.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the gang thing is just a shield. This has much more to do with Jackson not getting along with Chip Kelly and being a pain in the ass than it does with some of his friends being of less than admirable people.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sherman is much more effective in pointing out the hypocrisy of the Philadelphia Eagles (re Riley Cooper) than he is in defending DeSean Jackson. He acknowledges that he hasn't spent that much time around Jackson for years and admits that when Jackson got close to gang members after his father died.

I feel for Jackson not having people to turn to. But that does not change anything he may or may not have done and it doesn't mean I have to approve of associating with violent gangsters.

The bit about Jim Irsay seems like a ridiculous throw in, tbh. Dealers and users are and should be judged by different standards.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Sherman is much more effective in pointing out the hypocrisy of the Philadelphia Eagles (re Riley Cooper) than he is in defending DeSean Jackson.
    If I had to guess I’d say that’s probably what’s got Sherman’s goat more than anything else. Though, I’m sure he might’ve also felt somewhat of an obligation to defend his former childhood friend’s character. Mostly though, I think his angst is directed at what he perceives to be blatantly preferential treatment. Jackson’s kept his nose clean off the field for his entire career; never even been so much as arrested. If the reason for Jackson’s release was that his associations reflected poorly upon the organization, then surely Riley Cooper should have been cut the same day that video came out. If you want to talk about a bad teammate and cutting someone for the sake of team unity, then I’m not sure how much worse it gets than having a guy who’s done what Riley did in a league that’s over 70% black. I’m sure you all remember Cary Williams having to be separated from Cooper during training camp while screaming “I’m one ****** you don’t want to mess with”.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    If I had to guess I’d say that’s probably what’s got Sherman’s goat more than anything else. Though, I’m sure he might’ve also felt somewhat of an obligation to defend his former childhood friend’s character. Mostly though, I think his angst is directed at what he perceives to be blatantly preferential treatment. Jackson’s kept his nose clean off the field for his entire career; never even been so much as arrested. If the reason for Jackson’s release was that his associations reflected poorly upon the organization, then surely Riley Cooper should have been cut the same day that video came out. If you want to talk about a bad teammate and cutting someone for the sake of team unity, then I’m not sure how much worse it gets than having a guy who’s done what Riley did in a league that’s over 70% black. I’m sure you all remember Cary Williams having to be separated from Cooper during training camp while screaming “I’m one ****** you don’t want to mess with”.
    True, though I'm willing to bet that the Aaron Hernandez situation played into Jackson's release as well, not just within Eagles HQ but Goodell was probably in their ear about it, too. "The shield" "the shield" "the shield"... what an asshat he is.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll start out by saying that I like Desean Jackson, think he is incredibly gifted as a football player, had him on my fantasy team several times over the years. With that being said, i'm no expert on him, but even in rooting for him over the years, it's almost impossible to not see he is at least a bit of a head case. If I am reading Sherman correctly I think he is claiming Jackson's release had much to do with his color, with Chip Kelly just treating him differently because he is black.

That's a tough one, I know next to nothing about Chip Kelly, but I honestly have a problem believing a coach at this level of competion, that has had teams for decades that are over 50% black let race decide ANYTHING about who was on or off his team. They had been trying to move him for a while...BEFORE these reports came out about his gang ties. In my opinion, he was let go for a combination of factors including his huge salary number, his attitude, his attendance at Eagle activities, and probably his relationship with Kelly.

Riley Cooper, I thought he was done last summer, one of the weirdest "comebacks" I have ever witnessed. I cannot comment about why they did not cut him, who knows the inside scoop, but if I had to guess, he is probably a little more "team' oriented. I only judge that by the fact that he is still around, and he got a raise...maybe I'm wrong.

Richard Sherman, honestly Im tired of this guy, sick of getting the fact that he's Stanford educated and intelligent shoved down my throat from the more enlightened. Couple things I have to wonder though, what exactly does it mean for the people who like to accuse everyone of racism, to have to continuously remind the less enlightened about said intelligence? Are they saying we should not be able to tell from his actions? Hmmm. Another thing, what exactly do you call someone that seems only interested in one particular type of social injustice?

Oh, yeah and when Desean Jackson's father passed, Mr Sherman wants me to believe these gang bangers were the ONLY ones around a young NFL star/millionaire??

I'll just say this, I really don't care about Jackson, not going to try to pretend I do, but posting pictures of himself with gang members on Instagram is certainly his right to do. I personally do not like that, speaking as a parent, not the type of person I would want to glorify in any way.

Forgot, I'm not sure what the NFL is going to do about Irsay, but that would be the only part of his article I'll buy, Irsay should be punished, soon.
    Last edited by phinfan3411; 04-05-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Show me who your friends are, and I'll show you who you are.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote