Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

1. -1
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

1. Jameis Winston / Florida St. / 6'4", 227

Everybody knows about Jameis Winston now that he's a national champion, became only the second freshman ever to win the Heisman Trophy (Johnny Manziel), and unfortunately for being in the news off the field. However, a lot of football coaches knew this kid was going to be a good one a long time ago.

I know we wanted this hometown kid badly at Alabama, but Winston never considered going to an SEC school because of baseball. I was actually able to break down his film at Hueytown on Hudl.com in preparation for the 5-A State Playoffs in 2011. Hueytown was about to face Vigor, with the winner advancing to the state championship game to play us (Hartselle). Vigor defeated Winston and Hueytown, and we went on to defeat Vigor 13-3 in the state championship and complete an unblemished 15-0 season.

What I noticed about Winston that stood out perhaps even beyond the physical gifts that made him a 5-Star recruit, were his advanced on the field intangibles for a high school Senior. These kind of intangibles are the type that only come from studying the finer details of playing the position as a young child. These intangibles are exactly what allowed him to accomplish all that he did as a freshman on the football field for Florida St. There were moments in that national title game against Auburn where Winston looked overwhelmed and unsettled for the first time....ever. He'd never seen anything like that before in the ACC. Yet again, those same intangibles allowed him to settle back in and seize control of the football game... and lead his team to a clutch game winning touchdown drive with it all on the line. Bottom line is that Jameis Winston is a splendid two sport athlete that should be ready to be the #1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.

2. Brett Hundley / UCLA / 6'3", 222

3. Marcus Mariota / Oregon / 6'4", 215

4. Connor Cook / Michigan St. / 6'4", 218

5. Nate Sudfeld / Indiana / 6'5", 230

6. Matt Johnson / Bowling Green / 6'0", 215

7. Cody Kessler / USC / 6'1", 215

8. Joel Stave / Wisconsin / 6'5", 225

The following are athletes possibly, or in most cases likely to make a position switch at the next level:

1. Trevone Boykin / TCU / 6'2", 215

2. Dak Prescott / Mississippi St. / 6'3", 230

3. Taysom Hill / BYU / 6'2", 221

4. Vernon Adams / Eastern Washington / 5'11", 190

5. Everett Golson / Notre Dame / 6'0", 190
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Isn't Jameis staying for at least another year? Interested on your take of Hundley over Mariota.. albeit not a big fan of either of them.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How is Cody Kessler on your list?

I went to USC for grad school for 2 years and was there during Kessler's time. I'm interested in hearing your opinion. He is not an NFL QB at all in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'll be watching Marcus Mariota intently this year. Nohomo.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHorry View Post
    How is Cody Kessler on your list?

I went to USC for grad school for 2 years and was there during Kessler's time. I'm interested in hearing your opinion. He is not an NFL QB at all in my opinion.

I don't think he's an NFL quarterback in the sense that he's a high draft pick, or even a serious candidate to come out early. He's an NFL quarterback in the same sense that John David Booty was coming out of USC. Kessler won't come out early. He'll stay for his Senior season and be a 5th-7th round pick in the 2016 Draft.

I make these more for me than anything else. I'll bet high that he gets a shot at the NFL in exactly the manner I just explained. He can play a little bit... and still has 2 full seasons ahead of him to improve and get better.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurescout View Post
    Isn't Jameis staying for at least another year? Interested on your take of Hundley over Mariota.. albeit not a big fan of either of them.
    I doubt Winston stays for another year once the #1 overall pick talk heats up. There's no reason for him to stay another year. He's already won a Heisman Trophy and a national title.

I suppose I'd be interested in hearing someone's take of Mariota over Hundley. Hundley is a more accurate passer. Period.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I doubt Winston stays for another year once the #1 overall pick talk heats up. There's no reason for him to stay another year. He's already won a Heisman Trophy and a national title.

I suppose I'd be interested in hearing someone's take of Mariota over Hundley. Hundley is a more accurate passer. Period.
    Decision making. Don't think there is a huge difference between the two. But Mariota takes good care of the football.

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

Connor Cook is an interesting name on the list. Got a lot better as the season went on. They should make a serious run for the big 10 again this year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurescout View Post
    Decision making. Don't think there is a huge difference between the two. But Mariota takes good care of the football.[COLOR="Silver"]
    From an interception standpoint perhaps Mariota takes care of the football but from a fumbling standpoint he doesn't. Seems like every time I sit down to watch Mariota play, he's fumbling the ball twice in the game. Two sack-fumbles in the Texas game. Two sack-fumbles in the Washington State game. Two sack-fumbles in the Stanford game. Two fumbles in the UCLA game although to be fair one was just a bad snap that he failed to corral, but the other was a sack-fumble by Anthony Barr. Fumbled in the first half against Arizona in the loss. Fumbled on a 3 yard loss against Oregon State.

I actually wanted to get some opinions on Mariota because I understand that he's very productive and he's got great speed, quick release, quick enough feet and he throws a nice ball although the accuracy is off sometimes...but from where I'm sitting whenever I sit down and watch the tape I'm almost tempted to call him a faster version of Blaine Gabbert when it comes to his pocket and pressure tendencies. There's form there, the product of coaching and practice, but not substance.

Gabbert used to run from ghosts a lot and I thought maybe that wouldn't necessarily be an indictment of his pocket sense, that perhaps it's just the internal clock thing or perhaps the way he was coached in that offense. That didn't end up being right. I see some of the same with Mariota and when you put it together with his constant fumbling (especially relative to the amount of real pressure in the pocket he faced at Oregon which is to say NOT MUCH), it's kind of scary.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote