Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Red Skelton's pledge of Allegence

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks

Red Skelton's pledge of Allegence

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalXbox LogoPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    Wow. Hell of a speech. The most important bit of that speech, which is no longer true, is about the government by the people.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Looks like he saw how big of a distraction those two completely unnecessary words would be. Just go back to the original pledge. Problem solved.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The original pledge should be used no question. Everyone should be free to decide whether they want to worship their god or not. Government should not endorse religion, but I see no problem keeping historical sculptures and writings intact. The are part of our history. Example is Moses over the supreme court. I have no problem with those images. They are historical and not hypocritical IMHO. Just my .02

I watched the Red Skelton show weekly when I was growing up in the 60's. The comedy was great. Quality G rated entertainment. It would not be a bad show for kids to watch today instead of twerking and violent themed (killing etc) cartoons.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo

Red Skelton's pledge of Allegence

Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The original pledge should be used no question. Everyone should be free to decide whether they want to worship their god or not. Government should not endorse religion, but I see no problem keeping historical sculptures and writings intact. The are part of our history. Example is Moses over the supreme court. I have no problem with those images. They are historical and not hypocritical IMHO. Just my .02

I watched the Red Skelton show weekly when I was growing up in the 60's. The comedy was great. Quality G rated entertainment. It would not be a bad show for kids to watch today instead of twerking and violent themed (killing etc) cartoons.
    Agreed, I have no problem with the original pledge being said. I also have no problem with Moses above the Supreme Court, but not because of any historical value, because if it represented a religious statement, it should be gone regardless. In the context of the statue, I agree with the Supreme Court ruling that it is a part of a representation of historical lawgivers that influenced our legal system. I don't think it says we are Judeo-Christian-Muslim (and whatever other religion recognizes Moses as a religious figure) nation any more than the representation of Solon says we are a nation of pederasts. It's the influence of the legal systems they represent, which is why the only commandments included are those that are relatively universal law, with the religious ones excluded.

As for TV, that's simply the free market catering to the consumers: bad, lazy parents. There are good shows on for kids, but unfortunately, that requires the "impossible" task of taking the remote away from the kid, which is difficult to do when there are so many amazeballs photos to pin. One of the reasons I love my kid's daycare is that they don't even have a TV (outside of camera monitors).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote