Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 32 (+) with Grades

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justdev7 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear a little bit more about what you think of Moncrief. I think he has the physical tools to succeed at the X but he doesn't attack the ball like a guy that I would want to be a #1 WR. He reminds me of Jacoby Jones.

Also, i'm glad to see that you have Jason Verrett in thae middle of that group of CBs. I think he's been knocked too hard for his size. He makes plays on the ball regardless of the size of the guy he's going up against. I think he's more of a sure thing than Roby, Fuller, or Denard.
    In Moncrief, you have a Julio Jones level athlete. He's not super clean, imo - hence the W2++. But I do believe Bo Wallace held back his production. He can be productive early - just running bubble screens and goes.

I have the CB group as very tight. Verrett reminds me of Grimes with higher upside. I think Fuller is probably the surest thing - just because of his size and versatility.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    One guy I'm liking in the later rounds (probably not for Miami) is the safety from Utah State, Maurice Alexander. CBS currently has him as their 461st prospect. But I think he could be a Kam Chancellor kind of SS. Big, strong, imposing in-the-box safety. 9 TFL from the safety position. Don't know a lot about him, but there seem to be major character concerns (both legally and with teammates - punched one, causing him to be dismissed from team).
    Interesting. Utah State had one of the best defenses (particularly run defenses) in the country. Even allowing for the fact they're Mountain West, there are some talented players on that defense. Alexander is one, they have a good CB and the guy I'm personally very interested in is Jake Doughty, 4-3 MLB. Borland clone, available in the 7th or maybe UDFA. Undersized, physical, instinctual, mobile, leader, difference maker. He might be a riser as he and all the Utah State prospects blew the doors off their pro day - so much so that the scouts went out and measured the 40yd track to be sure it wasn't short!

Of the late-round safeties, I like Alden Darby of Arizona State a lot. Really not sure why he isn't rated higher. A Bit like Duron Harmon of Rutgers last year (who I was bigging up a bit before the draft) he wasn't on the radar of any mock drafts whatsoever and then went to the Pats in the 3rd round. That was a big reach, but clearly there are late round guys out there who don't deserve the lack of attention they've had and I would put Doughty and Darby in that bracket.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

In Moncrief, you have a Julio Jones level athlete. He's not super clean, imo - hence the W2++. But I do believe Bo Wallace held back his production. He can be productive early - just running bubble screens and goes.

I have the CB group as very tight. Verrett reminds me of Grimes with higher upside. I think Fuller is probably the surest thing - just because of his size and versatility.
    Gilbert, Verrett, Fuller for me, in that order. Depending of course on your scheme fit.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, I wanted a grading system that gives a quick look at a player (or how I view the player). The odds and potential payoff distinct but interactive. I'm guessing I'll have to work out some kinks, but I think 2++ paints a better picture than 8.13.

But yeah, I think a guy like Shazier only comes around once every five or ten years. He's about as clean as it gets, as safe as it gets, and he has all-world upside. If I had to bet on which player from this draft would end his career with the most All Pro teams, I'd bet Robinson then Shazier. Clowney's a freak, and he plays at a premium position.
    I've been thinking lately if Shazier mskes it to 19 we should grab him.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No doubt Robinson #1. In 2-3 years I think he's the best offensive lineman in the league. No one ever mentions that both Watkins and Mack have been suspended.. pretty big red flag for a top 5 pick.. Shazier at #3 is high, but he's the real deal. Like Lavonte David-but can rush the passer/blitz and is an even more explosive hitter. 4.3 and 40 inch vert is insane. Supposed to be a really high character guy. I think he's 4-3 will only, but can be the best in the league. If Manziel was clean off the field he'd easily be the best QB but I think that will catch up to him. Getting kicked out of the Manning Camp is the biggest issue IMO. McCarron supposedly went out with him that same night and they roomed together, but McCarron could make it to the meeting.. Matthews should be over Lewan due to his talent, 5 position versatility, and bloodlines. He's the safest pick in the draft and Lewan has some character issues.. Really like Bucannon pro bowl caliber strong safety, poor man's Chancellor..Also Hageman is too inconsistent IMO to earn a top 32 grade.. Not sure why you're so high on Jimmie Ward and Kareem Martin.. wow Hill in the top 20? I don't see it. A RB in the 1st round? And with his past?????????????
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the list. I wonder how many of they will actually be drafted in the first round?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    interesting on the shazier front...i hear he played this last season at ohio st at 225 lbs...i knew he looked light in the pants...12 lb weight gain since then doesn't seem to have effected him in a bad way though given the way he tested

probably though more headed to playing in the low 230's as a pro...height will help though a little taller than lavonte david...
    Last edited by hooshoops; 04-08-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    Interesting. Utah State had one of the best defenses (particularly run defenses) in the country. Even allowing for the fact they're Mountain West, there are some talented players on that defense. Alexander is one, they have a good CB and the guy I'm personally very interested in is Jake Doughty, 4-3 MLB. Borland clone, available in the 7th or maybe UDFA. Undersized, physical, instinctual, mobile, leader, difference maker. He might be a riser as he and all the Utah State prospects blew the doors off their pro day - so much so that the scouts went out and measured the 40yd track to be sure it wasn't short!

Of the late-round safeties, I like Alden Darby of Arizona State a lot. Really not sure why he isn't rated higher. A Bit like Duron Harmon of Rutgers last year (who I was bigging up a bit before the draft) he wasn't on the radar of any mock drafts whatsoever and then went to the Pats in the 3rd round. That was a big reach, but clearly there are late round guys out there who don't deserve the lack of attention they've had and I would put Doughty and Darby in that bracket.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Gilbert, Verrett, Fuller for me, in that order. Depending of course on your scheme fit.
    I like Darby a lot as a player, and I want to like him more as a prospect. At his Pro Day he weighed in at 194 and ran a 4.65. He's tested pretty solid in the other areas, but I sure hope that's not a friendly 40 time. But he shows great instincts, and he's a natural play maker. I think his size and athleticism keep him out of the first five rounds, but there's a lot to like too.

Nevin Lawson is the Utah State CB, and I think he has a shot at sticking around in the NFL. He's a physical, competitive little guy, and he has solid speed and quickness. I think he'll probably be a team's 1st slot CB by his 2nd season, and I think that will ultimately be his best position. In the Fresno St. game, Adams got him a couple of times, but he was competitive throughout the game. Alexander, though, is very natural around the LOS. He looks like an athlete, flowing through traffic, tackling, and in coverage, and he has that closing burst. I'm guessing his off-field issues are serious enough to push him toward the 6th-UDFA range, but he's a nice looking player. Played some of the season with a cast on his right hand, and even though he missed the 2012 because of his issues, he led the defensive rally huddles. If you have the longer room to handle him (probably not Miami), he has great upside.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    interesting on the shazier front...i hear he played this last season at ohio st at 225 lbs...i knew he looked light in the pants...12 lb weight gain since then doesn't seem to have effected him in a bad way though given the way he tested

probably though more headed to playing in the low 230's as a pro...height will help though a little taller than lavonte david...
    Hoops, I'm curious to hear what you think the DE position after Clowney. I'm also interested on your views on DB's.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Excuse my ignorance. What sort of track record does MREBIRD have in assessing talent in previous years? There appear to be lots of surprises in this assessment of comparative talent.
    After every Draft Jeff Ireland would proudly proclaim the great value of many picks. However, last year many of the high early picks were either coming back from injury and unlikely to make an immediate contribution. (We will find out how good some of those draft picks were this year). If the method of assessing comparative players is significantly flawed, then it's a very crude tool.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    Excuse my ignorance. What sort of track record does MREBIRD have in assessing talent in previous years? There appear to be lots of surprises in this assessment of comparative talent.
    After every Draft Jeff Ireland would proudly proclaim the great value of many picks. However, last year many of the high early picks were either coming back from injury and unlikely to make an immediate contribution. (We will find out how good some of those draft picks were this year). If the method of assessing comparative players is significantly flawed, then it's a very crude tool.
    Hi spiketex, the blog is new, but I've been posting on this site for a few years.
    Quote Quote