Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to draft!

1. -11
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    I like Sua-Filo, but IMO Mosley is the better player and if not for the LB position being undervalued, would be projected far higher.

Again I like Allen Robinson, but I feel Kouandijio was a Top 15 pick before combine and injury scares. Reminds me a lot of what happened to Keenan Allen last year, both high end first round projections who have fallen.

Kouandijio is considered a better prospect that Fluker who went 11th last year. IMO he reminds me of Menelik Watson, but with far more upside and potential. Watson played well before injury last year.

It's not I don't like these players you mention. I just feel Ozzie Newsome has made a killing in draft year on year out, drafting value on players who have fallen for one reason or other and Chargers GM is trying to do same. He also makes a killing on compensatory picks but that's another story.
    Your thread should be titled "How to Draft IF you agree with normanii's talent evaluation of the 2014 NFL draft"........because many actual evaluators with actual experience don't agree with you....nor do I.

There are 4 offensive tackles that are worthy of pick 19 by most experienced talent evaluators which would fill our biggest position of need. WR would be a luxury pick and not filling any hole. If and only if one these 4 tackles is not present at pick 19 should we consider another position.

I believe we will either have a shot at Zack Martin, and if not Mosely, Shazier, Pryor will probably be there.

I would also be fine with drafting the best guard in the draft in Xavier sua Filo who you can plug right in for the next 10 years.

Using your philosophy we could end up with another porous O-line in 2014 and another 50+ sack season for Ryan Tannehill which he might not survive this time.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched quite a bit of Shazier this year. Dude is a player, but he's a bit wreckless at times (see the Buffalo and Iowa games). He will over run plays and can be taken out from time to time. That being said, he's the type of LB you need for Coyle's defense. You need a kid that's willing to work hard to improve, and has the speed to go sideline to sideline.

The biggest thing though with the draft is understanding fit. While I don't necessarily want to draft Kouandijio, now that we don't have to rely on him as a LT I'm more inclined to give him a look BUT he's not really on my short list. After Martin and Lewan, the OL I'm looking at are Joel Bitonio, Weston Richburg ,Xavier Su’a-Filo, Michael Schofield, Gabe Ikard (later in the draft), Billy Turner, Jack Mewhort, JaWuan James, Wesley Johnson,James Hurst, Matt Patchan, ect. More athletic guys that can move.

WR wise I look at tall WRs that can give us a jump ball threat. Unless it's somebody like Brandin Cooks or Paul Richardson that give you a deep threat and return dynamic, I don't even look at a WR that isn't going to win 50-50 balls.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Joel Bitonio if he's still there in round two.

Zach Martin in round 1....Joel Botonio round two and your O-line is pretty much set.

I see both those guys as instant starters....the question left is The other guard position which S. Smith, Dallas Thomas etal can compete for.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Your thread should be titled "How to Draft IF you agree with normanii's talent evaluation of the 2014 NFL draft"........because many actual evaluators with actual experience don't agree with you....nor do I.

There are 4 offensive tackles that are worthy of pick 19 by most experienced talent evaluators which would fill our biggest position of need. WR would be a luxury pick and not filling any hole. If and only if one these 4 tackles is not present at pick 19 should we consider another position.

I believe we will either have a shot at Zack Martin, and if not Mosely, Shazier, Pryor will probably be there.

I would also be fine with drafting the best guard in the draft in Xavier sua Filo who you can plug right in for the next 10 years.

Using your philosophy we could end up with another porous O-line in 2014 and another 50+ sack season for Ryan Tannehill which he might not survive this time.
    This thread is titled, 'how to draft' not 'how to fill need'. IMO we should have identified best positions in draft then handled FA accordingly. In the first round the highest graded players who will be available at 19 are WR's, LB and possibly DT. IMO, the position that would be most upgraded out if these 3 are LB. Thereafter, you take best value and due to depth, you would get great value at OT and WR later in draft.
    Draft
    1-WR-Marqise Lee
    2-DT-Louis Nix
    3-OG-Gabe Jackson
    4-QB-AJ McCarron
    5-DT-Daniel McCullers
    5-CB-Antone Exum
    6-OT-Antonio Richardson
    7-OT-Seantrel Henderson
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In your opinion...how you rate players is not necessarily the same as the team.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In your opinion...how you rate players is not necessarily the same as the team.
    Same could be said for everyone
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Give me XSF and the best available tackle in the second round, and our o line is set for the next 5 years. 3 rd-7th rounds take BPA, and this will be a solid draft!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I got no issue with taking Zach Martin. IMo he would be a solid pick.....just not the best pick
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    I'm impressed by your thoroughness normanii. Appreciate your explanation.
    A couple of basic questions for you:
    (1) Why not draft the best O-lineman available at #19 - Zach Martin or Xavier Su'a-Filo. Either can help make a big difference. XSF looks a very likely stud - also high character, future team leader. Very safe pick.
    (2) The WR who impresses the hell out of me is Allen Robinson. At 6'2" 225 lbs and excellent hands, great route runner - he seems to offer a lot bigger size than Odell Beckham, Marquise Lee and Brandin Cooks (all fast and pretty small). He played well for Penn State without a great QB. Why don't you consider him in the mix of the top level WRs? I think that he's predicted to go in 2nd round.
    Hackenberg looks more impressive than Luck after their freshman seasons..
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really think Christian Hackenberg is going to be the best QB prospect in a long, long time. 6'4 with above average athleticism, absolute cannon for an arm, but what's most impressive is his footwork. He has "quiet feet" on his drops. The more you have going on with your feet, the less accurate of a passer you will be. He is extremely smooth in that department for an 18 year old true frosh. I would argue that his footwork was cleaner than anyone in college football last year.. just wait till he gets 2 more years.. arm is only going to get stronger
    Quote Quote