Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucky Brooks' Potential First Round Surprises

1. -1
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin

Bucky Brooks' Potential First Round Surprises

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap20...ound-surprises

Morgan Moses should not be considered a surprise. Joel Bitonio would be disappointing at 19 in that he fits best at OG. I like him, but at 50 or beyond.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with him that Morgan Moses, Kyle Van Noy, Demarcus Lawrence, Deone Buchanon and Kyle Fuller could all go 1st round. Whether that's a surprise or not just depends on your point of view.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Einhorn is Finkle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalHydra logo
    A run on any of those position can and will make teams "desperate" to sign a need...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bitonio has been getting a lot more love since he's also started taking snaps at center in some private workouts. Teams view him as a plug and play guy all over the line. Both he and Moses (and maybe one or 2 other OL) could go a lot higher than you'd expect similar to the run we had last year with DJ Fluker, Kyle Long, Justin Pugh, and Travis Frederick all shooting up into the first round (Fluker was getting some 1st round love, with San Diego's desperation for OT pushing him even higher up the board).

Buchannon is a guy who impresses me a lot whenever I watch film so a first would be justifiable.

Is Fuller really a surprise anymore? Most seem to have him as the 2nd or 3rd ranked corner.

Hill or Hyde both could sneak into the first, but I think Hyde is a bit more likely.

I like Corey Latimer but not in the first

Seems like every year there's a Boise State player that shoots up draft boards so not shocked that Lawrence is getting some love.

Rumors are the Cards really like McCarron, but it sounds like teams are more willing to gamble on Mettenberger early... or even Tom Savage....

Van Noy has always been kind of a fringe first rounder.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The reality is very few people are qualified to declare whether any of those players are a "reach". Very few have enough contacts to truly have a good idea of where a majority of the NFL teams are ranking the players vertically, as even the teams themselves have those vertical boards in constant flux. And if labeling a pick a "reach" means making a qualitative comment about whether the player is a better football player than other football players also available, as opposed to simply making a "value" qualification based on rumor-mongering of where "consensus" (which doesn't exist nor should it exist) has a player...then there are even fewer people qualified to make that judgment.

About 99% of the criticism you hear/make about reaches and whether this guy should go 19 or shouldn't go until about 25 or stuff like that...comes from totally unqualified sources.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Cody Latimer was one of my late round sleepers at WR. Athletic, big WR with very good leaping ability. I was thinking he'd be a nice pick in the 6th or 7th round but looks like he may go a little sooner.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would take CB Kyle Fuller of Va Tech over Justin Gilbert or Dennard. He has great size and ball instinct,,,makes all the plays. If we go CB, this guy would be ok with me at #19.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Kyle Fuller and Jason Verrett are two very good corner prospects and would take either over Dennard though I'm not positive on Robey or Gilbert yet as I have more research to do.

The biggest sin either of those guys Fuller or Verrett commits on the field is biting too aggressively underneath at times. They don't make mistakes because of shortcomings of ability which is what I feel Dennard does. They make mistakes by having a mindset that perhaps needs tweaking.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    odd to me that brooks says skeptics question van noys physicality and toughness when what i question is his athleticism and versatility...sam backer in a 43...but i don't think you can get by with that going anywhere but forward on obvious passing downs

for miami he's not worth a 1st rounder with misi locked up in front of him i know that much...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    odd to me that brooks says skeptics question van noys physicality and toughness when what i question is his athleticism and versatility...sam backer in a 43...but i don't think you can get by with that going anywhere but forward on obvious passing downs

for miami he's not worth a 1st rounder with misi locked up in front of him i know that much...
    I agree with bucky's version. The Van Noy I remember from 2012 was phenomenal in space and in coverage. Amazing instincts. He looked more natural playing the ball than the guys he was defending. In 2013 he seemed to be less active and not as tough. I sense he coasted a bit.

I tend to ignore a player's final year if I've seen brilliance earlier. That's why I think Van Noy is undervalued. I must say I've been more than bewildered by some recent scouting reports here, from yourself and j-off-her-doll, because they ran exactly opposite of my impression of Van Noy. I think he'll revert to 2012 form and the questions about his 3rd down ability will be long gone.
    Quote Quote