Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 102

Thread: The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index

  1. -41
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,184
    vCash:
    25318
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Some value is value. The premise of the OP is that there is no value in taking an OT in the first round.
    In case you couldn't tell (and it's hard to tell with only one liner responses), I'm not Spesh. I do agree that there is no value in the Dolphins taking an OT at 19 or moving up to take one.





    Quote Quote  

  2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    11,930
    vCash:
    38861
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    I agree with Spesh that you need a balance of 5 good guys n the OL or, you're gonna have problems in today's NFL. The days of the best pass rusher lining up vs LT are long gone. They move side to side, and then there are the complicated blitz packages with pressure coming from everywhere. When you tie up a lot of cap space on one or two players, you can't spread the wealth for a good balance.

    As to using a fist round pick, it depends who else is available. IF there's a play maker, at WR, TE, DB or LB, you have to take him over the OL. JMO
    Quote Quote  

  3. -43
    russianbear's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2011
    Posts:
    1,041
    vCash:
    4792
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the idea of "BPA" dictates that if there is a player like Zach Martin who drops to 19, we take him, unless there is an even more talented player who drops as well. You can't tout "BPA BPA", and then hide behind the play-maker argument if the BPA is, in fact, an OT. I personally would have NO problem at all taking a top caliber tackle in the first round, and from my understanding that would make Zach Martin or Lewan the only players who could realistically be there and be worthy of the pick.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -44
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,184
    vCash:
    25318
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by russianbear View Post
    I think the idea of "BPA" dictates that if there is a player like Zach Martin who drops to 19, we take him, unless there is an even more talented player who drops as well. You can't tout "BPA BPA", and then hide behind the play-maker argument if the BPA is, in fact, an OT. I personally would have NO problem at all taking a top caliber tackle in the first round, and from my understanding that would make Zach Martin or Lewan the only players who could realistically be there and be worthy of the pick.
    Of course, if Martin is the BPA, you take him. The difference is in where you prioritize positions. Playmakers will always be of higher value in the 1st round. They will always rank higher on that BPA list, IMO.

    Lewan, on the other hand? No thanks. Tired of mental midgets on this team.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -45
    Zounds's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    7,660
    vCash:
    20298
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I do agree that there is no value in the Dolphins taking an OT at 19 or moving up to take one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Of course, if Martin is the BPA, you take him.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -46
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,184
    vCash:
    25318
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    But he likely won't be because there are only 18 picks before ours.

    I also like how you failed to acknowledge anything else I wrote. I VERY clearly, to anybody who can read English, pointed out that Martin has extra value because of his versatility. Unlike you, I would be okay with quite a few directions. You clearly only want offensive line. I think. Hard to tell when you only respond with snide questions.

    Looking forward to the next one liner.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -47
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    11,930
    vCash:
    38861
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    I believe that Hickey has somewhat painted himself into a corner on the OL in this draft, due to what was done or, not done in FA. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to what he has said on BPA or, perhaps try to make excuses on reaching on the OL.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -48
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,184
    vCash:
    25318
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I believe that Hickey has somewhat painted himself into a corner on the OL in this draft, due to what was done or, not done in FA. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to what he has said on BPA or, perhaps try to make excuses on reaching on the OL.
    If he picks Martin, I won't be upset, I'll just think it was a mediocre team making a mediocre pick. If he reaches for XSF or Moses, on the other hand, .
    Quote Quote  

  9. -49
    Phinatic8u's Avatar
    FinHeaven's Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    9,901
    vCash:
    12265
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    As long as said player improves the team I don't care if it's a "play making" position or OL..


    Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

  10. -50
    Zounds's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    7,660
    vCash:
    20298
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    But he likely won't be because there are only 18 picks before ours.

    I also like how you failed to acknowledge anything else I wrote. I VERY clearly, to anybody who can read English, pointed out that Martin has extra value because of his versatility. Unlike you, I would be okay with quite a few directions. You clearly only want offensive line. I think. Hard to tell when you only respond with snide questions.

    Looking forward to the next one liner.
    I don't clearly want anything. I've never come out and said I want an OL or even an offensive player with our 1st round pick. I just think its funny that you say OT has no value in the first round to us, but then go on to say that if Martin is available, we should draft him.

    And regarding my "one liners", most people people would thank you for communicating a simple point with a few sentences rather than a wall of text with redundant and irrelevant info.

    ---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    As long as said player improves the team I don't care if it's a "play making" position or OL..
    This is the approach any team should be taking. I don't see teams taking OL off their boards for the first round simply because of their position. That's a ridiculous assumption people are making.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. The Ireland Mythology Index
    By Spesh in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
  2. Offensive tackle?
    By Killerphinz32 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM
  3. Ireland Mythology Index vol. 2
    By Spesh in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
  4. Offensive Tackle
    By tapsmiled in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
  5. FF Index ranks the NFL's offensive lines:
    By baalworship in forum Beasts of the AFC East
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •