Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Philbin vs Sparano?

1. -11
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Unless you provide us with some data to back this up, I am calling shenanigans. The ONLY year he had consistent QB play was 2008, the year the Dolphins won the division. His 2nd season here Pennington got off to a rough start as his weak arm caught up to him, then he was injured in Week 5 or so and Henne came in. Henne played OK, but outside of the Jets MNF game, he never had what anyone could call a great performance. Henne was either average, or bad.

Tannehill, thus far, has been leaps and bounds better than Henne at any point in his career and much more consistent. If Sparano had Tannehill all those years, with a balanced running attack, I think Sparano very well may have guided the Dolphins to the playoffs again.
    Philbin only lost one game when Tannehill played well enough to win, he's 13 and 1 when his QBs play well (PR 88+) so I'm not sure where the great Tony Sparano would have done so much more with Tannehill. Unless you think Sparano's QB development is leaps and bounds better than Philbin, but I think Henne, buttfumble, Tebow and a few Oakland QBs would disagree with you. Most of Sparano's developed QBs end up on the street by the time he's done with them...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All I can say with certainty is that Sparano made a lot of stupid decisions on the field. Philbin's on the field decisions have been much better so far.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Whata great thread idea....cant wait for the Sherman vs Henning thread...

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Overdrafted....

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalHydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Its a project I'm working on.

Sparano won 64% of games when his QB had a passer rating of 88+. Compare that with a few coaches I consider bad like: Norv Turner won at 72%, Jason Garrett wins at 59%, and Mike Shanahan with the redskins 63%. For good coaches Belichick is at 87% (over the past 5 season, much higher all time), Jim Harbaugh in the 90's, Sean Payton is 90% (but Brees only won 7 of 10 the year Payton was suspended). And Joe Philbin wins at 93% when his QBs have a PR of 88 or higher.
    Very interesting.....can't wait to see the finished results
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I think Philbin is a high-potential coach that under-performed and made a poor effort getting his guys riled up and hungry. His blind trust in his staff doomed him. He was able to coach well in some tough games against strong opponents, but in trusting his staff no matter what, the team also played down to weaker opponents levels when things went awry.

Conversely, Sparano was a locker-room guy that could keep the guys hungry, but had little going on up top in the thinktank and seemed like he was getting outcoached by the week. His kneejerk personnel changes made it obvious he was clueless.

Long-term thinking, I would take Philbin any day of the week. His plan can be solid if enough pieces fall in place and he starts to be more proactive. He's already started to with the slight fire under his seat, getting rid of Sherman, etc.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For me,the jury is still out on Philbin...but,I hope we are shooting for something more than just being better than Sparano!!!!
    Being a little better than Sparano,to me is like being the tallest midget.....We deserve much more.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvenientTruth View Post
    Very interesting.....can't wait to see the finished results
    Don't hold your breath, its probably years away because even a 2 season sample is much too small. The theory is good coaches should win at a high percentage when their QB plays well, its kind of a coaching rating system. One interesting result I've found so far is Marvin Lewis wins at a higher percentage than I would have guessed, I think he may be an example of a good coach mired with bad QBs over the years.

I can't believe Garrett hasn't been fired, everything about him screams terrible coach from game management to his body language on the sideline then you couple that with his pathetic win percentage and its just mind boggling that he still has a job. I guess Jerry Jones likes having a yes man as his coach.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    So far, I don't see much of a difference between the two, which can change this year. However, I think I would have preferred Sparano to instill some fire in the team the last two games of last year. We had none.
    If Sparano had the ability to win those 2 games at the end of last year due to his firing people up, how do you explain him going 7-9 twice and 4-9 before being fired?

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Never knew that. Where did it come from?
    Out of his ass....Sparano had one yr with good QB play and the team went to the playoffs, if Sparano had RT at QB we would be a playoff team.....The D would be better (at least the LB and DL would be) and ST would be better.....Sparano was building a strong OL, good running game, and if he had a QB would have had a descent TE and good WR....his D coordinators were top 5 guys whose D stopped the run, tackled well and was physical......Sparano made some mistakes but he was undermined by his GM then by the owner....then lost the respect from his team.....Philbin took over the team, changed the players, changed the style and the only thing good that's come from it is RT....The Oline is worse, the running game is poor, still looking for a real TE ( though the rookie showed promise last yr, excited to see his development this yr)
    On the D his DL is good with two possibly 3 pass rushers, can't stop the run, can't cover TE and the secondary is much improved, Sparano issue with the secondary was he wasn't afraid to play rookies back there...something Philbin refuses to do.....

If I was owner of a team and had to pick a HC and could only choose between these two, I would hire Sparano.....
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Its a project I'm working on.

Sparano won 64% of games when his QB had a passer rating of 88+. Compare that with a few coaches I consider bad like: Norv Turner won at 72%, Jason Garrett wins at 59%, and Mike Shanahan with the redskins 63%. For good coaches Belichick is at 87% (over the past 5 season, much higher all time), Jim Harbaugh in the 90's, Sean Payton is 90% (but Brees only won 7 of 10 the year Payton was suspended). And Joe Philbin wins at 93% when his QBs have a PR of 88 or higher.
    This is a great example of why stats only tell some of the story......Sparano was playing with Henne who could not throw the ball down field and when he did he threw int...so they used the check down were he threw to backs coming out of the back field and slant routes to big WR.....that helped his QB rating but once he got in the redzone he was useless....the team couldn't score....they kicked FG.....once you lose confidence in your QB in the redzone (Henne had some rough games early throwing INT in the redzone) the coach got conservative down there......if you watch the games, the team played better under Sparano, if he had a QB the team he and Ireland assembled would be in the playoffs....now RT is very good in the redzone, when he gets down there the play calling is more aggressive which amounted to more TD....that's why I say put that guy behind Sparano OL and running game and give him Sparano Defense and ST and we are in the playoffs......
    Quote Quote