Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Philbin vs Sparano?

1. -31
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by jvw View Post
    No offense taken, so I take it that you would take Philbin.....team under performed in the two most critical games of his HC career, had a national bullying scandal on his watch, allowed Richie to be voted in as a Team leader, made a great decision on picking RT in the draft then allowed Martin to be his starting LT knowing he had head issues which resulted in RT almost getting killed, traded or cut all of the real leaders on the team and then had the nerve to be upset when Dungy called him out for his lack of leadership......I liked Philbin his first yr, was ok with him during the second until all the behind the scenes crap came out and we got the chance to see his decision making skills......I hope he can turn it around in his 3rd yr.......
    I wouldn't take either TBH, but Philbin knows about football, he`s been a successful OC and he was somewhat qualified to get a HC opportunity. Sparano on the other hand had no business even getting an interview nevermind getting the fcking gig... First year was a fluke with the wildcat, which wasn't even his idea and any success he had died with the cat once the league caught up. He then got hired as an OC for the Jets and that lasted 1 freaking season before he got canned for total ineptitude... Not saying I think Philbin is beyond mediocre at this point, just that Sparano is that fcking bad...
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm certainly not going to defend the notion that Philbin is a good-- much less great-- coach since he's shown squat. But this idea of Sparano as a master motivator-- laughable.

Where were his master motivational skills in 2009 when his team choked down the stretch and finished behind the Jets, a team that had been swept by the Dolphins that year? How about the way he had them ready to play at home in 2010-- losing two prime time games at home against the Jets and Pats in consecutive weeks? Of course, that pales in comparison to the way that team ended the season: instead of a playoff push, another pathetic stumble to the finish line, losing 4 out of the last 5 including home losses to the powerhouse Browns, Lions, and Bills. And he sure had the team ready to start the season in 2011, right?

Philbin may or may not succeed here, but that doesn't make Sparano any better in hindsight. If Philbin fails, it just means Ross made another poor decision, like when he threw away the 2011 season by bringing Sparano back.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Nor-Cal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Now if Philbin can perfect the fist pump we could get a few more field goals out of Sturgis. .
    "Any time you try to win everything, you must be willing to lose everything."
    (Larry Csonka)

Quote Quote  

4. -34
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward County, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    In the clear afterlight reflected through the rear view mirror, it was less Sparano and more Noodle Arm who was responsible for the epic turnaround.
    I agree with this post.

I've said this for years, that Pennington put together the offense himself, with bubblegum and spit.

Which is fine, to scrape by for a year until your rookies produce in their second (or third) year. But by then, you'd better have built an offense, and you'd better have a young QB to take over after Pennington. We didn't do that. Then we doubled down on stupidity by installing the wildcat. We went from the 1st pick in the draft, plummeting to the 25th pick. After that, we picked up Pat White. Really, Pat White? Couldn't Henne have used a premium TE? Or an O lineman instead of picking them out of the trash of FA? This is the problem with not having an identity and not putting your players in a position to succeed. If you want ground and pound, then make a great O line and don't replace Ronnie Brown with Daniel Thomas and think that's good enough.

We're on the cusp of doing it again. We're on the opposite spectrum, we're finesse, and so far we've been unable to create the kind of speedy, dynamic offense Philbin promised. Finish the job and build the d*mn thing, already.

As far as coaching goes, Philbin is an upgrade from Sparano, but that's not saying much. What's the point in arguing over who is worse.

Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin is a better game manager. For that reason alone he stands above Meatball. How many times did Sparano let the clock wind down before calling time outs? I am surprised my hair grew back.
    Also, apart from losing the 3 games to the bills and Jets (which winning those would have given us an 11-5 record and playoff berth), teams that we should have beaten, this team has played well against some good competition.
    The team record has also improved over the two seasons despite questionable decisions with the personal by the Ireland.
    Philbin.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    I wouldn't take either TBH, but Philbin knows about football, he`s been a successful OC and he was somewhat qualified to get a HC opportunity. Sparano on the other hand had no business even getting an interview nevermind getting the fcking gig... First year was a fluke with the wildcat, which wasn't even his idea and any success he had died with the cat once the league caught up. He then got hired as an OC for the Jets and that lasted 1 freaking season before he got canned for total ineptitude... Not saying I think Philbin is beyond mediocre at this point, just that Sparano is that fcking bad...
    You do realize Philbin wasn't REALLY an OC, right? He was OC in title only, he never called plays. His role in GB was to schedule things, which happens to be the only real thing he brings to the table. Sparano actually had more play calling experience than Philbin had.

I'm not claiming Sparano was some kind of great coach, but seeing people claim Philbin is head and shoulders above him as a HC is laughable to me. The same people who are defending Philbin today will be the ones calling him a loser once he is an ex coach a year or two from now...
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    You do realize Philbin wasn't REALLY an OC, right? He was OC in title only, he never called plays. His role in GB was to schedule things, which happens to be the only real thing he brings to the table. Sparano actually had more play calling experience than Philbin had.
    In addition to actually calling plays for a season in Dallas, Sparano was also assistant HC to Parcells so he had more preparation for a HC gig than an OC that didn't even call his own plays. That said, Sparano was a failure as a head coach so don't take this as me supporting him
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not much of a thread, but better than most you put up.

Sparano wasn't much of a coach, but he's doing exactly what I said
    he'd to, and, is getting re-circulated. He's in. He's kissed by
    Tuna.

Philbin doesn't fist pump. He's not a "Leader of men" like Sparano.
    He doesn't fist pump. He's not a meathead and he doesn't get too high
    or too low.

Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Phantom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They both stink !!!
    Quote Quote