Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Philbin vs Sparano?

1. -41
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would just as soon forget about Sparano and hope for some improvement this year.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    It's not much of a thread, but better than most you put up.

Sparano wasn't much of a coach, but he's doing exactly what I said
    he'd to, and, is getting re-circulated. He's in. He's kissed by
    Tuna.

Philbin doesn't fist pump. He's not a "Leader of men" like Sparano.
    He doesn't fist pump. He's not a meathead and he doesn't get too high
    or too low.
    Many thanks to my biggest fan. You know that your approval is VERY important to me.

*Sarc Attack lol
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
    In addition to actually calling plays for a season in Dallas, Sparano was also assistant HC to Parcells so he had more preparation for a HC gig than an OC that didn't even call his own plays. That said, Sparano was a failure as a head coach so don't take this as me supporting him
    Okay, to set the record straight, McCarthy called Philbin's plays using the players that Philbin trained, prepped and prepared each week. Sparano was the defacto OC for Dallas for less than a season again as a Parcells pet project, until Garrett took those responsibilities away, and over 2/3rds of the yardage from his playcalling were attributable to Todd Haley's stud receivers and the plays he designed. All you need to know about Sparano and his sense of offense (that's of course if you Rip Van Winkled thru 2012 during his tenure with the jest), is that he constantly indemnified dinosaur Dan Henning and his anachronistic play calling that was so predictable, our opponents Ds admitted they could predict what was coming 3 out of every 4 times by throwing his offense under the bus for not successfully executing those plays. Sparano was as clueless as a eunuch at an orgy and embarrassingly came off as the dumbest person in the room every time he gave a presser.

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

4. -44
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I'm certainly not going to defend the notion that Philbin is a good-- much less great-- coach since he's shown squat. But this idea of Sparano as a master motivator-- laughable.

Where were his master motivational skills in 2009 when his team choked down the stretch and finished behind the Jets, a team that had been swept by the Dolphins that year? How about the way he had them ready to play at home in 2010-- losing two prime time games at home against the Jets and Pats in consecutive weeks? Of course, that pales in comparison to the way that team ended the season: instead of a playoff push, another pathetic stumble to the finish line, losing 4 out of the last 5 including home losses to the powerhouse Browns, Lions, and Bills. And he sure had the team ready to start the season in 2011, right?

Philbin may or may not succeed here, but that doesn't make Sparano any better in hindsight. If Philbin fails, it just means Ross made another poor decision, like when he threw away the 2011 season by bringing Sparano back.
    I get what you're saying but remember JT saying that Sparano had him ready to run through a brick wall? There's a lot more than motivation from a HC to winning. It's just that last game we looked like we were playing it out and looking to go on vacation instead of fighting to make the playoffs.

Hell, in hindsight, I would have brought Cog back. I remember how he got everyone fired up vs the Jets before.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by RkyDaMan34 View Post
    Now if Philbin can perfect the fist pump we could get a few more field goals out of Sturgis. .
    I think you got something here. Think we can get Ross to hire Tony to come in and train Philbin on this? LOL
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    I get what you're saying but remember JT saying that Sparano had him ready to run through a brick wall? There's a lot more than motivation from a HC to winning. It's just that last game we looked like we were playing it out and looking to go on vacation instead of fighting to make the playoffs.

Hell, in hindsight, I would have brought Cog back. I remember how he got everyone fired up vs the Jets before.
    I think people underestimate just how much influence the QB has over the emotions of not just the offense but the entire team. I believe our entire philosophy on winning is predicated on our QB beating the snot out of their QB, and our defense has been constructed to take advantage of that. Our defense is designed to "eat" when we have a nice lead and when their offense becomes one dimensional. When they rarely get to "eat" because the other team can stay balanced they get discouraged.

The KC - Colts playoff game was a great example of one QB lifting his entire team, they believe that Luck can bail them out of any deficit and never let up. The Patriots are another example, the team doesn't panic because Brady has brought them back so many times. Russell Wilson is making a name for himself too in that regard. I think if you did a study you would find that most of the "best coached" teams typically also have a QB that has that never say never gene. In 2008 Chad Pennington was the master of the 2 minute drill and if I'm remembering correctly I'm pretty sure most of our wins came down to the last minute with the ball in Pennington's hand.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think when Sparano did well it was principally because of Parcells and Henning with the Wildcat.

When Philbin has done well it has been mostly about Philbin.

I didn't like the things I heard about what Sparano did and said to the players his final year here.

He was trying too hard to be Parcells.

Philbin seems like a stiff hard arse, but he also looks like the kind of coach that will always be much steadier and much more professional.

That said I don't think martin gets to put on his pampers and baby outfit if Tony was still the coach here.

Tony would have suspended him and made DAMN SURE that he had to give back the money that was paid to him
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Kinda funny how perspectives have changed. Last year, I put up a very similar thread and the OP was turned to red, which I came to find out was because of all the no thanks it received. I think I set a record.

This year, how everything has changed.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The more and more I try to think about it, it's really not cut-and-dry simple to judge Philbin's performance.

For example, if you ask people why we lost the last 2 games to get to the playoffs, many would pin it on Philbin having the team flat / unprepared. However, just as many would agree Sherman's offense had a lot to do with it (only 7 points in 2 games). So, which really is it? When the offense plays good, we almost always win the game (over 90% when Tannehill's QBR is high). When they don't, we lose very often. Is the source of the problem Philbin's motivation on the team, or Sherman's offense rolling the dice every week?

Feel free to shed some light on it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Many thanks to my biggest fan. You know that your approval is VERY important to me.

*Sarc Attack lol

I can recognize sarcasm. Do all you like.

I just think your posts are really, the absolute worst, and, nobody will tell
    you because you bribed them into it.

Quote Quote