Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

1. -41
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djavelin View Post
    The author had to do an awful lot of work to try to make Philbin look good. So far, I'm both unimpressed and underwhelmed by Philbin (and that's coming from someone that wanted him). He has another year to convince us but I'm not especially hopeful (seen this movie too many times before). I'd very much like to be wrong about him but he's missing by a long shot for me so far.
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whizafriz View Post
    Not liking this season's setup. We're supposed to give Philbin a do-or-die sentence, yet:
    He's working with a first-time GM
    He just hired a new OC, a first-time NFL OC
    This is his QB's first year operating from a new OC in his football career.
    His O-Line, essentially the worst line in the NFL last year, will be featuring many new players that need to develop chemistry, building from scratch.

I would say "Playoffs or Bust" is honestly a little too harsh. Who knows what else could happen: injuries, bad luck, or outside factors with the playoff spots could prevent us from getting in.
    What I would instead make my judgement on is:
    - Evaluate the "hunger" of the team coming off of BYE weeks and down the playoff stretch, since these were always moments of weakness.
    - Gauge how much better Tannehill becomes due to Lazor's coaching and offense, including connecting with Wallace.
    - Gauge the development of the O-Line. I think it will be bumpy at first, but hopefully not for long.
    - See how quickly he makes transitions and corrections when players/schemes are not executing from week to week.
    - Take note of the locker room and Philbin's presence in it, including how much he coaxes players to step up and take more leadership roles.
    - Zero scandals or distractions that could be prevented. (Normally this is a given, lol)
    This is the NFL, every year you are gonna change one of the above. OCs, DCs, GMs new QB coaches new OL they are all moving parts and rarely all stay the same. That will not be considered and excuse for missing the playoffs. If we are 9-7 or worse I am pretty sure we will be getting a new coach next year, and that will be fine with me.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Head Dolphin In This Pod

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 911972 Dolphins Logo
    He has to get this team to succeed. We have been mediocre for far to long. If Miami fails to make to post season again, the FO will be hard pressed to keep Joe. If he was like a fg away from making it i would think they keep him. If we have a **** storm like last year then he is gone. I just want to see the stupid, bone head things that cost us wins to be fixed. As well as the oline.
    He needs to learn from his mistakes and get better every game. So far its nothing to write home about.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin reminds me of an architect not a builder/contractor.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Could go either way! I do agree, this is a pivotal season for Philbin. I'm hoping he is successful, but if not, I'm ready to move on.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin needs to stop being so timid on the sideline. I know that man has testosterone flowing through his body, just waiting to see proof of it.

Lets go Philbin, I want to see you succeed!
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Joe Philbin is a bad coach.

Situations crop up for every team in the league, coaches are judged by how they handle them. Granted, Philbin's tenure has been marred by things others hadnt dealt with, but his handling of the situations has been atrocious. You dont want to blame him for the Incognito mess? Fair enough, i'll allow that. Why didnt Philbin know what was going on? Because when he asked that positions coach what was going on the coach lied to his face. When it came out, what did Philbin do about that blatant (and compromising) lie? Did he fire the coach? Suspend him? Dock his pay? How about raise his voice? To the best of my knowledge, he chose none of the above. Instead, Philbin kept him on for the rest of the season. And then proceeded to (successfully) fight for that coach to continue receiving paychecks for the next 2 years. Oh, and that position coaches unit was responsible for a historical awful performance. Cheers.
    Moving on, it was clear to everyone that Mike Sherman was a problem. His play calling was horrific and his inability to play into the strengths of our team cost us. Our damn quarterback leaked it the media that he had totally lost his faith in the man. How did Philbin handle this? By fighting tooth and nail against the owner to keep Sherman. Then, when interviewing general managers, he reportedly told them he could bench Tannehill. Brilliant priorities.

That doesnt even cover his gameday performances, which are thoroughly average. He cant adapt or elevate the play of our players. When everything goes exactly according to the game plan, we will win. If Philbin has misjudged the other team or they do something unexpected, we are screwed. Ultimately Philbin will take an .500 roster and carve out a 8-8 season. He is completely dependent on the very players he is quick to throw under the bus. He isnt Jim Harbaugh, who will make his quarterbacks look great while breathing fire at anyone who even glances at "his guys" wrong.

When everyone on our leadership council was being shown the door early in Philbin's tenure i didnt necessarily believe he was trying to censure the team. It might have been a coincidence. Guys like Long had issues and Dansby had a big contract. I was reserved and willing to let things play out. Now? Theres no doubt in my mind that Philbin considered speaking out to be threatening. He wants his players to toe the line. Yet coaches can apparently do whatever the **** they want and there are no consequences. If im a player in the locker room im only listening with half an ear. Why play my ass off and risk a career ending injury for this scrub? Do the bare minimum, collect my paycheck, and wait for the next staff. Id have that attitude because Philbin is a poor coach.
    Last edited by Spesh; 04-16-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact that we even question if Philbin is a good coach in year 3 says it all. We've had 2 years to judge him and thus far he has been average. The consensus seems to be that he is average but he deserves a 3rd year. He has shown nothing that says that he is even remotely a good coach.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Dolfan for Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Gables, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I knew Philbin was a brutal coach right after loss to Buffalo, coming off the bye last season. I agree whole heartedly with Spesh.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
    I knew Philbin was a brutal coach right after loss to Buffalo, coming off the bye last season. I agree whole heartedly with Spesh.
    That pretty much did it for me too. I mean I was hoping for the best but really wasn't expecting much after that. And when we finish the season off by not showing up with the season on the line I have lost all faith. I really didn't think he would survive and really didn't think he should have. At this point I figure if we win it is more in spite of him rather than because of him.
    Quote Quote