Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SI.com: Peter King's pre-draft notes and rumors

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

SI.com: Peter King's pre-draft notes and rumors

Four quarterbacks and six wideouts in the top 32 for Brandt, if he had to pick it today. Contrast that to last year, when there was one quarterback, wideout or running back in the top 15—receiver/returner Tavon Austin, who went eighth to St. Louis. This year a very similar player in size and production, Brandin Cooks of Oregon State, could be the sixth wideout picked. Regarding the passers, Derek Carr of Fresno State joins the big three quarterbacks, and at receiver, the depth is so good that former unheralded guys like Cody Latimer of Indiana are creeping into view high in the second round now.

The stunner this draft season is a quarterback who threw 83 passes as a Rutgers sophomore in 2010, then didn’t play college football in 2011 or 2012 as he transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. “The hottest guy in the draft,” Brandt of Tom Savage.

One more thing: The great value in this draft will be from about 20 to 50. So guess what team is in great position to capitalize on the depth in rounds one and two? San Francisco, with the ability and the recent history of moving around so well. The rich-get-richer Niners hold the 30th, 56th, 61st, and 77th overall picks. If they want someone in the forties, they’ve got the currency to get him. The Browns are in good shape to do some damage too, with picks 26, 35, 71 and 83.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I understand the want to compare cooks and Austin, but realistically I don't see it.

Cooks is way more polished as a WR, and actually has good hands and can beat the press, and attack downfield.

Tavon with the ball is as dangerous as it gets, unfortunately as St Louis learned this past year, you really need to work to get him the ball, and it's hard to keep him on the field at this level.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    I understand the want to compare cooks and Austin, but realistically I don't see it.

Cooks is way more polished as a WR, and actually has good hands and can beat the press, and attack downfield.

Tavon with the ball is as dangerous as it gets, unfortunately as St Louis learned this past year, you really need to work to get him the ball, and it's hard to keep him on the field at this level.
    They're both smaller receivers with extreme speed and quicks, great burst. Both solid reurners, too. The question is, if Cooks is as good or better than Austin and Austin went #8 overall last year, how good of a value would Cooks be at #19? In my opinion, a pretty darned good one.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post

I was guilty of getting infatuated with the Tavon Austin video highlights. You are right, when he gets the ball he has such blazing speed and can change directions instantly. But you have to be able to get him the ball and for much of the year he was on the sidelines watching the game.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "Tom Savage has the strongest arm in the draft" like Druckenmiller and Boller before him.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    receiver/returner Tavon Austin, who went eighth to St. Louis. This year a very similar player in size and production, Brandin Cooks of Oregon State, could be the sixth wideout picked.
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/
    I would think that Dri Archer would be a more apt comparison.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So do you guys think we would take a WR in round one, with all of the receivers we already have on our roster? I think we should get a TE before a WR. Of course projecting that there will be a lot of QB's/WR's taken early, and seeing what actually happens our often two different things. Also Gil Brandt is 80 years old...shouldn' he be hitting the white ball around the golf course?

Also here is Brandt's article on Tom Savage:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...never-heard-of
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    So do you guys think we would take a WR in round one, with all of the receivers we already have on our roster? I think we should get a TE before a WR. Of course projecting that there will be a lot of QB's/WR's taken early, and seeing what actually happens our often two different things. Also Gil Brandt is 80 years old...shouldn' he be hitting the white ball around the golf course?

Also here is Brandt's article on Tom Savage:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...never-heard-of
    I watched 3 of his games and the first thing that came to my mind was that he looked like Chad Henne. Needless to say, that erased him from my possibilities.
    Last edited by DKphin; 04-16-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gil Brandt is obviously hugely respected in some quarters but his latest rankings are pretty absurd.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember when Brandt found out the size of Manziels feet.

For three days all he talked about was the size of johnnys feet, it was ridiculous.
    Quote Quote