Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any concerns with our talent evaluators ie: our scouting dept.?

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Question Any concerns with our talent evaluators ie: our scouting dept.?

Wow...I can't believe this will be the 2000th time I write something here...I've been lucky being here in FH for about 10 years and have had the pleasure of reading many great posts from people like Simon, CK, Raphael, and so many others die-hard Phins fans. As individuals we don't always agree on a lot of things, but one thing we do have in common: As fans of this great, once very proud and victorious, team we are tired of the ineptitude and mediocracy that has plagued this team for so long.... We deserve better!

Now regarding the tittle of this post:

Is anyone here concern with our scouts/evaluators? As far as I know we have had basically the same people here doing those jobs for quite a long time. And even though the final responsability lies with the general manager, shouldn't these senior scouts be held responsible for some of the blunders this team has made in the last few drafts? If the GM sets up an Evaluation Board (for the draft and FA) with the data given by these individuals aren't they also to be blamed when the players they highly recommend don't pan out?
    ANGELOfinsFAN
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's too late to change stream this draft, but Hickey will likely change some of the staff this offseason.

I've long maintained that this is an area where a rich owner can considerably improve the team. Buying the best scouts helps, and their salaries are very low comparatively, so a wealthy owner should be able to pluck the best from the NFL and CFL if he prioritized it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    everyone should have concerns all the way to the top. We can judge them a little better on draft day.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    TRUE AMERICAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    why should there be?

NOBODY even knows who they all are! from what i remember some if not all of our previous scouts were replaced. hickey brought in some guys who he knew and had worked with.

and hickey himself is considered one of the finest talent evaluators in the nfl.

shouldnt we wait and see how the draft turns out, how the payers drafted or brought in as ufa's before asking this question?

and again, HICKEY didnt make the decision on draft day who was drafted. that was tampas gm. how much different would it all have been had hickey, not only evaluated the talent but ALSO made the decision on draft day? we are soon to find out. how many times would the pick have been better if the gm had taken HIS player? we dont know.

scouts can only do so much. they can give their opinion but in the end its the GM who decides who is drafted or brought in from collegiate f/a's.

another thing people over look is how much of a gm's board was desimated by the time it was his team to choose. how often did they have to go to plan B or C because the guys they had on the top of thier board in each round were gone? we dont know. and THIS is what makes a great gm, where you can tell a bit about the scouts. how did plan B and C work out?

it is just WAY, WAY to early to ask this question.
    For Those Who Ride The Other Side

HOWARD: rip my brother.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hickey's best skill is reportedly player evaluation. With 18 years experience in the NFL, that is what he did and why he is here. He has inherited Ireland's team (sans Brian Gaine) and so is pretty dependent on their information. However, he was looking over the same player prospects in his former role with Tampa Bay. I would expect that he has very definite ideas on how and what he is seeking in the scouting reports and will progressively put his stamp on this side of the process.
    Other GM candidates were more articulate and skilled at using the media, eg Lake Dawson and Ray Farmer, but Stephen Ross picked the very experienced player evaluation guy. I'm optimistic that he can significantly improve our player evaluation process and results.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minnesota
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we will get a much better idea this draft regarding your question. While Hickey and Philbin may have final say, it sounds like they will be using the electronic smart board this year to help them with their decision. All that data is going to come from the scouts, so they should be using their evaluation notes to make decisions with just about every round except for the first (maybe even that one too). I'm guessing Ireland use this less in the past and chose more on his own notes than the scouts. If I were a scout for the Phins, I'd be making sure my work was spot on this year as if my job depended on it (which I'm guessing it will).
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am somewhat concerned, but how do you find out who was responsible for what in the last few drafts? They have been decent in the 1st round, horrible in the middle and have done fairly well in the late rounds. Hickey should watch and learn this year, then make changes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's the million dollar question isn't it? According to sources around the league guys like Anthony Hunt and Chris Grier have great futures in the NFL and we all heard how highly thought of Brian Gaine was around the league. Have our failures been the scouts not doing their job that well or was it Jeff Ireland not really listening to those around him? Or is it coaching that failed in developing.

I personally think it's a combo of all 3.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    That's the million dollar question isn't it? According to sources around the league guys like Anthony Hunt and Chris Grier have great futures in the NFL and we all heard how highly thought of Brian Gaine was around the league. Have our failures been the scouts not doing their job that well or was it Jeff Ireland not really listening to those around him? Or is it coaching that failed in developing.

I personally think it's a combo of all 3.
    Bingo.. You have probably also heard the stories that Ireland would have the data but sometimes would just roll with his gut instincts. Sometimes they worked but it is pretty easy to envisage him as being stubborn. I'd love to know what happened for the urgency to trade a pick and move up and get Will Davis last year. I guess he had his heart set on someone else who was surprisingly taken.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ehhh they said everyone was on the same page in that building that dion jordan was the top prospect in the class last year...only thing they didn't realize was that he wasn't very much of a scheme fit

idiots...should have been the first thing they figured out...not a scheme fit do not have on your board...duh
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote