Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why didnt we just concentrate on fixing 2013 problems?

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    davenport,iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    2013 in my mind we had 5 issues which needed resolving:-

1-Mike Sherman. His playcalling was atrocious and the snap issue was laughable.
    2-Jim Turner. If your area of expertise is one of the worst in league then heads must roll.
    3-Offensive line. One of worst in league and only one real starter returning.
    4-Running game. Partly due to offensive line but also need another RB to compete or start.
    5-Run defense. In my mind this was more to do with LB play as opposed to D'line.

Why not then stick then with what was working and then concentrate on what was not? Or is that too simple in today's NFL. For example, our pass D was very good, yet we let Nolan Carroll and Chris Clemons go and sign for others on very cheap contracts.

In my mind we fixed the top 2 issues with the hirings of Lazor & Benton, yet threw away over $5m in salary cap by replacing Carroll & Clemons with Finnegan & Delmas. You have to consider this together with the fact that Zach Strief and Geoff Shwartz, both of the highest rated FA O'lineman available, both signed contracts avg. just over $4m/year.

We now go into the 2014 draft, with a word I hate using come draft day 'needing' an Offensive lineman. This in my mind is made worse by the fact that at #19 there are two players in Mosley & Shazier, one of which will definitely be available, but have dropped due to position value would have fixed our poor LB play.

I love the Moreno signing but why didnt we continue along fixing our problems rather than creating new ones? We could have stuck with Carroll & Clemons, challenged for the signing of Zach Strief and gone into 2014 draft knowing there was a massive possibility of Mosley or Shazier being available at #19.

With the additions of Shelley Smith, Fox & Moreno, together with Mosley or Shazier being drafted we would have fixed the issues of 2013 while also sticking with what worked.

Again is this too simple for todays NFL?
    You could go back a step further and critique the last draft! Just think of the two players we could have had if we not traded up for Jordan! Kind of makes you wonder what the makeup of the team would look like! That draft for us probably would look much different than what we drafted! I am not mad about the corner signings both guys are good hard hitting players. I just hope they return to form.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last years draft was a disgrace. I like Taylor & Thomas but 2013 was known to have no elite taken but depth throughout first 3 round and we trade up!
    Draft
    1-WR-Marqise Lee
    2-DT-Louis Nix
    3-OG-Gabe Jackson
    4-QB-AJ McCarron
    5-DT-Daniel McCullers
    5-CB-Antone Exum
    6-OT-Antonio Richardson
    7-OT-Seantrel Henderson
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    normaniii - I was actually pretty disappointed that we didn't find the relatively modest amount to keep Nolan Carroll. However, Hickey obviously holds Finnegan in much much higher regard. We still don't know what we've got in Jamar Taylor and Will Davis. If Taylor is fully healthy, he could be earmarked for the 2nd starting CB role. Davis should be physically bigger and stronger to compete. We know that his speciality is making sudden interceptions.
    Re Chris Clemmons, I agree with the decision to let him go and I expect Delmas to be an upgrade, if he can remain healthy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    spiketex - Finnegan for price is a terrible move. IMO Chris Clemons was one of the most underrated players in NFL and Texans have picked up a bargain
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    Think you are over optimistic, no, I think you are completely wrong regarding Soliai, Delmas & Finnegan
    Definitely over optimistic. Finnegan hasn't been good the last 2 years, Delmas is nothing special, and Mitchell should prove something before being called better than Soliai. Smith hasn't proven much either.. Just blatant homerism imo

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    $2.5 M was decent value for Carroll as a backup but you don't go into the season with him penciled in as your starter....

Finnegan could be the steal of free agency or he could be a total bust and this signing in particular will tell me a lot about Mr. Hickey.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    if mosley is there you have to take him at 19, no questions asked. or try to trade down and grab shazier. just my opinion
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Finnegan is no steal at $5.5m!

Carroll would have had to compete for a starting spot with Taylor who I like a lot. Our pass D was not the issue last year. Together with Jordan hopefully getting more snaps I would have preferred using the cap room and concentrated on O'line.

Granted ppl may not have wanted to sign but I'm sure we could have picked up two decent OT's allowing, Garner, Tjomas, Brenner, Shelley Smith and any draftees to compete for Gaurd spots
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Again.....as in your other long winded "rush to judgement" Dolphin bashing theads....you assume and your threads make the assumption that your talent evalution skills are superior to the GM's. This is not Madden and your opinion is not fact.

In my opinion, Clemmons was nothing special and did not make enough plays...same for Carroll.

I see an improved Defense with the moves made, and while I do wish we could have been successful in getting another quality O-lineman or two in free agency, I realize you can't get everything you want, there are 31 other teams for players to consider.

I will refrain from Dolphin bashing until I see the final result of the assembled team.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Again.....as in your other long winded "rush to judgement" Dolphin bashing theads....you assume and your threads make the assumption that your talent evalution skills are superior to the GM's. This is not Madden and your opinion is not fact.

In my opinion, Clemmons was nothing special and did not make enough plays...same for Carroll.

I see an improved Defense with the moves made, and while I do wish we could have been successful in getting another quality O-lineman or two in free agency, I realize you can't get everything you want, there are 31 other teams for players to consider.

I will refrain from Dolphin bashing until I see the final result of the assembled team.
    Why is you opinion better than mine?

Without questioning, commenting or stating your opinion regarding sports you would have no forums, chat shows, certain newspaper articles or even the most important thing banter with mates.

Sometimes I wonder why people are on forums?
    Quote Quote