Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Round options....

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17Mike Wallace 11Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Why? Do you think this team is merely a couple starting o-linemen away from winning the superbowl?
    No but i do know that if we cant get top end protection are offence wont have a chance to use any play makers as well as with out QB getting hit every play you may start seeing injuries happen for him and then our offense will be relying on a backup QB.

The QB, OL, and DL are the building blocks of a successful team. We have a DL and a QB and a poor OL. A play making TE wont make any difference and we already have clay starting to breakout, We have our 2 starting safeties, we have serviceable LB's, and I would target a WR in the 2nd or later (Moncreif, Bryant)
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't draft RTs in the first, especially when they're borderline LTs, who might have to play guard to survive in the NFL and even then with some physical improvement. Because you've just spent your top pick on a guy who prob won't be a left tackle, might not make it as a right tackle and will have to learn the position in season 1, and will end up moving to left guard (which you already have covered and where there's no guarantee his lack of physicality will hold up.

Or you can spin the guy as someone who has tremendous value because he can play all over the line and is only available at 19 because he's slightly smaller with shorter arms than prototypical.

Yes, we have a RT need and potentially a RG need, but NOBODY takes those guys in the first unless they are exceptional talents. We need exceptional, not solid. Solid can be had in round two and beyond.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Happy with:
    - Taylor Lewan
    - Ryan Shazier
    - Zach Martin
    - XSF
    - Eric Ebron
    - Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    - Jason Verrett

Lukewarm:
    - C.J. Mosley
    - Calvin Pryor
    - Marquise Lee
    - Brandin Cooks

Kick my TV:
    - Morgan Moses
    - Haha Clinton-Dix

Throw my TV out the window and kill multiple people
    - Cyrus "Roll on the ground" Kuondijo

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 123phins View Post
    No but i do know that if we cant get top end protection are offence wont have a chance to use any play makers as well as with out QB getting hit every play you may start seeing injuries happen for him and then our offense will be relying on a backup QB.

The QB, OL, and DL are the building blocks of a successful team. We have a DL and a QB and a poor OL. A play making TE wont make any difference and we already have clay starting to breakout, We have our 2 starting safeties, we have serviceable LB's, and I would target a WR in the 2nd or later (Moncreif, Bryant)
    I disagree. You can have a good offense and a healthy QB without "top end" protection. I also disagree that a top TE wouldn't make a difference. A great TE is a QB's best friend and a great weapon for putting points on the board in the red zone. Clay himself led the team in TDs. And while he played well it's not like you are limited to playing one TE at a time. I'm also not wild about our WRs and Delmas has durability issues.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    Don't draft RTs in the first, especially when they're borderline LTs, who might have to play guard to survive in the NFL and even then with some physical improvement. Because you've just spent your top pick on a guy who prob won't be a left tackle, might not make it as a right tackle and will have to learn the position in season 1, and will end up moving to left guard (which you already have covered and where there's no guarantee his lack of physicality will hold up.

Or you can spin the guy as someone who has tremendous value because he can play all over the line and is only available at 19 because he's slightly smaller with shorter arms than prototypical.

Yes, we have a RT need and potentially a RG need, but NOBODY takes those guys in the first unless they are exceptional talents. We need exceptional, not solid. Solid can be had in round two and beyond.
    Well said. I like Cory Flemings' shot at Day 1 success at RT as well as anyone beyond (Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan). Ja'Wuan James isn't far behind. You can probably get one or the other in the 3rd, but if need be, go ahead and use 50. I'd be fine with Fleming at 50. But don't spend a top 20 pick on a lesser player to fill a need. Get a high-end talent. Given the shape of our team, there's a good chance the best talent falls on a position of at least moderate need.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    fleming should be drafted in a power scheme...i stress should
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    fleming should be drafted in a power scheme...i stress should
    I think we have different opinions on his ability in space and general quickness. I see a guy very sound in his technique with great awareness and a big frame. I don't see the athletic limitations that would keep him from working in a ZBS. Also, for the sake of pass pro, I think you're willing to sacrifice a little agility for a guy who can anchor against the rush. But I like his instincts in space. His timing moving from the 1st to the 2nd level is very good, and he even gets out on WR screens. Also, he's a GREAT cut blocker. I really think he'd be a good fit.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think there's a good chance Shazier is the pick if he's there at 19. Could really see it given reports of our dysfunctional LB group...

But what hasn't been brought up yet in this thread is corner. Either Fuller or Verrett at 19 would be a great pick, imo, they're being undervalued. bpa
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    I think there's a good chance Shazier is the pick if he's there at 19. Could really see it given reports of our dysfunctional LB group...

But what hasn't been brought up yet in this thread is corner. Either Fuller or Verrett at 19 would be a great pick, imo, they're being undervalued. bpa
    He's my favorite player that has any chance of falling to 19. The WLB in our system is in position to make a lot of plays. I always bring it up, but Vontaze Burfict led the league in tackles as a WLB under Zimmer. Good luck finding a LB that made more plays than Shazier during his last two seasons at Ohio State, and good luck finding a better athlete.
    Quote Quote