Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Thoughts on the Draft

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Thoughts on the Draft

I don't think there's a Dolphin fan out there that doesn't recognize what this team needs, but I hope the team isn't a slave to need when it comes time to draft. This philosophy has killed the club in recent years and has meant that Miami has missed out on better talent, sometimes elite guys (not taking Thomas and trading down to get Odrick and Misi for example).

There are some elite players who could fall into the Dolphins laps at the #19 spot. It's very likely that a receiver could be one of those elite guys. I think there's a good chance both Lee and Cooks are available at #19. Shazier at LB is another player that comes to mind and perhaps Mosley if he drops.

Not saying the team should avoid the offensive line all the way through the draft if better players are available, just hoping for some flexibility when building this roster.

On another subject, I still think Dion Jordan may end up going to Philadelphia. I love Jordan, but I see him as a LB and that doesn't seem like an option in Miami. If the Dolphins are able to get Shazier, for example, and a player like Lee and Cooks are available at Philly's spot a trade could happen.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The FA signings have given us 3/5 of an oline with a couple of Veterans returning to compete for the remaining spots.
    In the position we are located in the draft, IMHO either we take the BPA regardless of need or trade down 5 spots to get another pick if the trade presents itself.
    All of the top oline talent will be gone, but their will still be top players at other positions. Get the top talent.
    Drafting the oline in the middle rounds free up the money for the play makers at the top of the draft.
    I do not think the team is overly concerned about the oline, and will take the BPA. Just my .02
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I will be quite happy if the phins are smart enough to take one of those players at 19 (or Beckham as well). However, I don't think trading down would be that bad this year. Supposedly this is a deeper draft than most with a lot of underclassmen.

Also, I don't think the Jordan trade will happen though. When it was reported everyone here was saying we'd take a big cap it. I'd also like to see what Jordan can do with a full off season. And since Wake is getting up there and may start to regress or struggle to stay healthy soon, we may need him to play a lot more than last year.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The FA signings have given us 3/5 of an oline with a couple of Veterans returning to compete for the remaining spots.
    In the position we are located in the draft, IMHO either we take the BPA regardless of need or trade down 5 spots to get another pick if the trade presents itself.
    All of the top oline talent will be gone, but their will still be top players at other positions. Get the top talent.
    Drafting the oline in the middle rounds free up the money for the play makers at the top of the draft.
    I do not think the team is overly concerned about the oline, and will take the BPA. Just my .02
    I think that it will be BPA between OL and WR, and whichever position isn't taken in the 1st round will be taken in rd 2. The draft is stacked that way.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    I think that it will be BPA between OL and WR, and whichever position isn't taken in the 1st round will be taken in rd 2. The draft is stacked that way.
    Based on the signs, I agree. The problem - as I see it - is that the WR's are going to be the stronger option in each round. My top RT option at 50 would be Fleming. If you're looking for a guy who can move people in the run game and is very strong in pass pro, I think he's the best bet at RT. He's also more athletic than people give him credit for. He gets out on quick WR screens, and he's pretty slick on the 2nd level. A lot of these smaller O-linemen have problems - especially initially - holding up to the force of an NFL edge rush. Fleming shouldn't have that problem. I'd rather get him in the 3rd, where he can probably be had, but I think he's a good value at 50.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I see playmaker in 1st Pryor,Shazier or B.Cooks maybe Beckham as for Jordan why not trade him straight up for L.Johnson the contracts have to be very similar.Shazier in first gives us stud lb,Johnson cures our rt problem and opens up for Hyde in 2nd and bpa rest of way
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    I will be quite happy if the phins are smart enough to take one of those players at 19 (or Beckham as well). However, I don't think trading down would be that bad this year. Supposedly this is a deeper draft than most with a lot of underclassmen.

Also, I don't think the Jordan trade will happen though. When it was reported everyone here was saying we'd take a big cap it. I'd also like to see what Jordan can do with a full off season. And since Wake is getting up there and may start to regress or struggle to stay healthy soon, we may need him to play a lot more than last year.
    You're probably right about Jordan. I still see him as a better fit in a 3-4, but love his talent. I just wish the coaching staff had/has a better idea as to how to best use his talent.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joeylats View Post
    I see playmaker in 1st Pryor,Shazier or B.Cooks maybe Beckham as for Jordan why not trade him straight up for L.Johnson the contracts have to be very similar.Shazier in first gives us stud lb,Johnson cures our rt problem and opens up for Hyde in 2nd and bpa rest of way
    Not much talk about Hyde for Miami, but that would be an interesting pick. Could definitely cure the team's short-yardage woes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is how I'm currently seeing the draft (in term of what I want - not what I think will happen).

1. Ryan Shazier/Marqise Lee
    2. Jimmie Ward/Jeremy Hill/Gabe Jackson/Allen Robinson (or a number of WR's)
    3. Cameron Fleming/Ja'Wuan James
    4. Trai Turner/Bruce Ellington
    5. Jerick McKinnon/Ka'Deem Carey
    6. Deandre Coleman/Brandon Thomas
    7. Tevin Reese/Mo Alexander
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trade Jordan for Lance Johnson or second round pick and MAthis OG.
    Quote Quote