Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once again the "law" was wrong.

1. -1
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Once again the "law" was wrong.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    The law makes no sense in this case. The police absolutely should have booted them out. Squatting on land they don't own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM View Post
    I just want to be sure I'm understanding this. You're saying that because those people didn't own the house, they had no right to be using the house, right?
    Now what if they were sitting atop a horse, wearing cowboy hats, and waving American flags while proclaiming their belief that the government has no authority over them?
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sounds like we're not getting the whole story. There's no law I'm aware of that you can't evict people simply "because they already established residency" for 2 years.

If it was 7 years, then it's possible to lose the property rights but there are elements that need to be met and I'm pretty sure there's a statute that protects service members from it.

The only thing I can think of is if the guy couldn't prove he had title to the place, then they couldn't simply kick out the squatters. Or the police didn't know the law.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    I just want to be sure I'm understanding this. You're saying that because those people didn't own the house, they had no right to be using the house, right?
    Now what if they were sitting atop a horse, wearing cowboy hats, and waving American flags while proclaiming their belief that the government has no authority over them?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I woulda went Gangsta too.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Sounds like we're not getting the whole story. There's no law I'm aware of that you can't evict people simply "because they already established residency" for 2 years.

If it was 7 years, then it's possible to lose the property rights but there are elements that need to be met and I'm pretty sure there's a statute that protects service members from it.

The only thing I can think of is if the guy couldn't prove he had title to the place, then they couldn't simply kick out the squatters. Or the police didn't know the law.
    I agree. Something is missing here. I do know that there is a law on the books that when you occupy and keep up the property that you can claim ownership after a certain number of years but it has to be proven that the existing owner has abandoned the property.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    I agree. Something is missing here. I do know that there is a law on the books that when you occupy and keep up the property that you can claim ownership after a certain number of years but it has to be proven that the existing owner has abandoned the property.
    What I think is going on is some kind of squatters right law that requires the owner of the property to get a court order to evict a squatter, as opposed to resorting to self help. The article makes some mention of the owner having to get a court order, which can be expensive, especially when the squatter made up some bs claim of an oral agreement. It clearly is not adverse posession, which requires something like 10 years or more in most places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    WTF?!?

squatters
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Overdrafted....

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalHydra logo
    It is a very grey area of property rights...and it take a lot to get the law enforcement involved...having proof is key and with him being away it makes it even harder to provide the proof.

The squatters were claiming they had made arrangements to live in the house in exchange for repairs....at that point it is a civil matter...not a criminal matter.

As for the Motorcycle gang forcing them out.....several stories ran on the local news about the situation...the bad press combined by the threat of the Vets (never needed to show up) led to the squatters leaving.
    Quote Quote