Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Cyrus Kouandjio - hope I spelled it correctly..

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Cyrus Kouandjio - hope I spelled it correctly..

I heard Cyrus Kouandjio interviewed on Sirius NFL this morning. I don't profess to watch enough college football to be fully objective but I had formed the impression that there were just a number of O-linemen with better skills, this year and Cyrus is a big lumbering guy who did well at Alabama but had some issues with his knee.
    Three key things from the interview.
    (1) He is from the western African nation of Cameroon (soccer is their national sport) and grew up in Maryland. Even though he is not yet drafted, he already has a lot of fans back in Cameroon (population 22 million) and when he makes it in the NFL it will spark significant interest from the sports fans in that nation. Young footballers will be encouraged to be like Cyrus and make their fortune in the NFL. In a way this links to the concept of creating international interest in the NFL and growing the game. Goodell and the owners can envisage NFL jersey sales, etc...
    (2) Cyrus is a physically huge guy 6'7", 322 lbs (he's an O-lineman), but he spoke with genuine disappointment about his 40 time of 5.59 seconds. He even said that his Combine 40 times "sucked" and he knows that he can do a lot better and if you watch his actual game performances he moves quicker than his 40 time would suggest. I was surprised that an O-lineman expected to go in round 1 or 2, would take the 40 time so seriously. They do it but their other metrics are probably more relevant. He came across as very genuine, good character and answered well, but while the 40 time is very significant for a WR or RB or CB, I had never thought too much about the O-line 40. My learning from the interview was that the O-linemen like Cyrus, take it very seriously.
    (3) Cyrus also spoke glowingly of AJ McCarron's confidence and leadership, that helped Alabama enjoy such dominance. He didn't have to promote his buddy.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    6'7 with incredibly long arms 35 5/8 inches.. Bends at the waist and not his hips.. Slow feet to slide and mirror edge rushers. Late to recognize the blitz. Pre-season he had a top 10 grade from some in the media, but I gave him a 3rd round grade in October. That was before the awful performance in the sugar bowl, and the awful combine (medical evaluation + workout). Some teams have completely dropped him from their draft boards due to the medical evaluation on his knee. Dr. James Andrews, the most famous sports orthopedist on the planet, came out and said his knee is fine so take that for what it's worth. Just thought I would give my 0.02$
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    He also has one knee.

Which is kinda important to his stock.

The whole cameroon thing is very exaggerated as well. I remember last year when the english tackle went in the first round we saw all the us media storys about how he was going to be a star here and help the sport breakthrough.... yea I dont think the pick even got mentioned in any of the newspapers and the nfl is a lot bigger here than cameroon lol
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    With the drop off in his performance during the year and then the medical red flags, I just don't put him on our board at #19. I would consider him a better value with our 2nd round pick, but there are other tackles I have ahead of him at this point. I assume Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, and Martin are gone in the first round. In the second round, I would target Moses, Bitonio, Mehwort, and maybe even Antonio Richardson before I touch Kouandijio.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I dont see Kouandijo as #19. Too much value available with other players.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    He also has one knee.

Which is kinda important to his stock.

The whole cameroon thing is very exaggerated as well. I remember last year when the english tackle went in the first round we saw all the us media storys about how he was going to be a star here and help the sport breakthrough.... yea I dont think the pick even got mentioned in any of the newspapers and the nfl is a lot bigger here than cameroon lol
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ouandjios-knee
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Pretty sure he said the same about rg3.
    Quote Quote