Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miami Herald: Dolphins have their eyes on Zack Martin

1. -21
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really like Martin's versatility. I think he can play both guard and RT, but I'm curious to hear how others think he stacks up against Su'a-Filo purely as a guard. I don't think that Martin spends his whole career at RT. Even if he starts out at T, I think he eventually kicks inside, so I think when looking at him it's best to measure him against the next best guard prospect which is Su'a-Filo hands down. Thoughts on the comparing the two?
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    I really like Martin's versatility. I think he can play both guard and RT, but I'm curious to hear how others think he stacks up against Su'a-Filo purely as a guard. I don't think that Martin spends his whole career at RT. Even if he starts out at T, I think he eventually kicks inside, so I think when looking at him it's best to measure him against the next best guard prospect which is Su'a-Filo hands down. Thoughts on the comparing the two?
    I read where Zack Martin has top position flexibility and while a good tackle, he would make a top Guard and that will likely be where he ends up playing in the NFL. Su'a-Filo is also best suited to a Guard role. Frankly I'm happy with either. Both sound like they are beyond reproach, excellent character guys in the locker room and have good work ethics. It sounds like Martin is a little more powerful than XSF and has better knee bend, but Xavier has top class lateral movement and is a more naturally athletic. The mock drafts now seem to consistently rate Zack a little higher than XSF, but I wouldn't trade up to get him. It sounds like there is decent depth of good O-line prospects but many teams have needs and so they could go faster than expected.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Zach can start at any OL position LT, LG, C, RG, RT. I take him.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbanger View Post
    Zach can probably start at any OL position LT, LG, C, RG, RT. I take him.
    FIFY

He hasn't shown that he can play at every position, its just speculation. In his 52 starts he has only played LT(50) and RT(2).
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    I was going to preface the article with a comment about how obvious the title was, knowing that at least one poster would have to comment on it, couldn't resist themselves. Sure enough...
    Hey, thank you very much for taking the time to post the article. We all really appreciate it.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    It's not all about speed and quickness in pass pro. If you can't anchor or have to overcompensate to anchor, you're in trouble. 308 isn't impossible, but it's not ideal. Fluker did a very good job at RT, and people questioned his quickness. Meanwhile, the much more athletic Eric Fisher had very real struggles. Fisher weighed in at 306, and Fluker weighed in at 339. Joeckel also struggled (306). Even Lane Johnson (303) struggled early, but he's a guy with elite athleticism. Almost all of the top RT's in the NFL are 320+.
    Look at Martins base versus Eric Fisher, who's 6-7 306. Martin has kind of a squarish build to him, but also the quick feet, hands and reflexes that you want in an OT. I don't see his size at 6-4.5 308 lbs as an issue at all- powerful enough to play OG, quick and athletic enough imo to play LT. My concern is who is a better value at #19, all things considered- Martin or Brandin Cooks? I don' know, but given how bad the OL was last year I'm leaning towards Martin.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310 View Post
    Hey, thank you very much for taking the time to post the article. We all really appreciate it.
    No problem.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am really starting to doubt Martin makes it to 19....That is why I go with Brandin Cooks and fix the O-line in rounds 2 & 3.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote