Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UM interested leaving Sun Life stadium - Ross is opposed to the idea

1. -1
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceGalactic Empire medal

Owner UM interested leaving Sun Life stadium - Ross is opposed to the idea

An MLS source said a joint UM/MLS facility remains a “real possibility” that interests Beckham, and Beckham’s people are still studying financial and traffic issues before coming back to UM with details and a definitive answer.

Problem is, a high-ranking Sun Life Stadium official who’s directly involved said Dolphins and stadium owner Stephen Ross is opposed to allowing UM to escape the final 18 years of its lease to move to an MLS facility. UM hasn’t asked yet, because it’s premature.

Since everything is negotiable, I believe a UM/Sun Life settlement is possible if MLS deems the project do-able, even though Ross has told people he’s adamantly opposed to letting UM bolt its lease.

If the stadium is built at PortMiami (Beckham’s preferred site), traffic would be a concern for UM games because some cruises leave on Saturday afternoons. UM also wants to make sure there’s adequate parking. Beckham’s group is trying to formulate solutions on both issues.

UM isn’t unhappy at Sun Life. But several high-ranking UM officials love the MLS stadium idea because of the appeal of a smaller venue (with 40,000 seats) with better atmosphere and sight lines and closer to campus, according to one of those officials. UM also would consider an MLS stadium near Marlins Park, an option Beckham’s group has considered.

UM has publicly confirmed its interest in potentially sharing a stadium with Beckham's team and is awaiting word from MLS on the feasibility.

Ross declined to comment when asked if he would allow UM to escape its lease. But a source close to him said he would have no incentive to do so.

What if UM offered a lot of money? “They don’t have a lot of money to offer,” the Sun Life source said.
    Ross has expressed skepticism about MLS’ chances of getting a stadium, especially at PortMiami. “I don’t believe the University of Miami would try to leave because it’s not in their best interests,” Ross said.
    If MLS deems the UM idea feasible but Ross balks, this would get fascinating. Would Shalala appeal to Ross publicly or privately, saying he could be viewed as a hero by UM fans if he allows the Canes to leave but would be disdained if he doesn’t? It would be interesting to see if such an approach, and a hefty payout, could persuade Ross to change his mind
    Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    I'd like to see a smaller venue closer to the U of M campus so maybe they buy out the remaining contract with Ross.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins should leave too.

Everyone should play in the AAA. We could probably pack that place out.

What a fantastic venue.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Keep it in Miami and you will sell out all the time... No brainer
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    I have no problem with UM leaving Sun Life if they want to. Would actually rather them leave so the field is in better shape for when the Dolphins play.

With that said, they need to at least buy out their remaining years to leave, they shouldn't just be allowed to break the deal.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I still don't know why Ross can't put together an attractive enough deal to make it difficult for Beckham's group to not buy it and then just build a stadium somewhere up on the undeveloped, yet turnpike accessible Everglades western fringe areas of Delray or Boynton. I guarantee you, based on accessibility alone, the seats will be filled every week. .

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceGalactic Empire medal
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    I still don't know why Ross can't put together an attractive enough deal to make it difficult for Beckham's group to not buy it and then just build a stadium somewhere up on the undeveloped, yet turnpike accessible Everglades western fringe areas of Delray or Boynton. I guarantee you, based on accessibility alone, the seats will be filled every week. .
    I do think it would be in the best interests of all three organizations to at least look into to some sort of an alliance on a new stadium.There are many road blocks in the way. One being MLS, who seem to be, not so upfront with potential cities. At first they wanted small venues, solely for soccer. Orlando agreed to those terms and is building a new soccer stadium but now Atlanta was awarded a team and it seems MLS is side stepping on their stadium requirements by allowing their team to play in the newly planned Falcons stadium. Who knows how things will play out but I think Ross should look into a partnership with Beckham's group before moving with his planned renovations. As business savvy as he is , I would bet he has a team researching on it now.

Orange County Commissioner Ted Edwards wants to know why Orlando was told it would have to build an $85 million stadium to get a Major League Soccer franchise, while Atlanta was awarded an expansion team without the same requirement, reports Orlando Sentinel.

Edwards said that since MLS allowed Atlanta to put both its pro soccer and football teams into Atlanta's planned $1.2 billion stadium, Orlando should have been allowed to put its new MLS team into a Citrus Bowl now undergoing a $207 million renovation, the paper says.

Edwards called it a "double standard" in a Tuesday memo.

"Evidently, the soccer-specific stadium requirement was apparently a false and inaccurate statement by MLS," wrote Edwards.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...-granting.html
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    JCane nailed it. If the Canes can't be on campus it needs to be on the water or nearby. Natural rewards.

I have to laugh every time a stadium is built in an irrelevant area solely because the morons in charge place ignorant emphasis on centralized location or access roads.

I'm not a big fan of cockroaches but you have to root for any living creature to escape Sun Life Stadium.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hokies class of 2016

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ford LogoDolphins HomerTannehill 17Snakes!Xbox Logo
    Please leave so the endzones can have that awesome paint all year!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good
    Quote Quote