Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UM interested leaving Sun Life stadium - Ross is opposed to the idea

1. -11
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cane officials are just being smart..

If Ross was smart he would take that 400 million dollars worth of lipstick, get the univ of Miami to put in their share, and do a new joint venture multiplex dolphin/canes OB2.

Two progressive for the suits even though both our programs are soaked in tradition that is the venue, and there is a script out there in the NFL that shows the how lucrative and impactful the model can be.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rex's Last Stand

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Latest update, a lot more info in the link.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez upended the negotiations with David Beckham and his investors Monday by proposing that the group consider building a Major League Soccer stadium on the downtown waterfront — but not at PortMiami.

As an alternative, Gimenez proposed filling a massive boat slip between Museum Park and AmericanAirlines Arena, which, according to the mayor, would create enough new land for a stadium as well as a pedestrian walkway along Biscayne Bay.

“Downtown Miami will greatly benefit from the creation of a grand waterfront park that will serve to bring our urban core closer to the water, providing a magnificent bay front walk along Biscayne Bay,” Gimenez wrote in a letter late Monday to Beckham’s real-estate adviser.

The mayor’s request could significantly shift the soccer debate, which up until now has centered almost exclusively on the port’s southwest corner. That waterfront site has drawn strong opposition from some county commissioners and port interests, led by Royal Caribbean Cruises, which is headquartered next door.

PortMiami is still in play for a possible 25,000-seat, open-air stadium, Gimenez told the Miami Herald. So are other potential sites, including adjacent to the Miami Marlins’ ballpark in Little Havana.

But by formally requesting that Beckham’s group look into filling the slip and report back to the county in two weeks, the mayor is steering negotiations toward an option that had only briefly been discussed nearly six months ago.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/0...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    After the Gator Day fiasco, maybe Ross should try not to stick his thumb in the eye of UM and its alums. Not sure picking a fight with Donna Shalala is a distraction Ross needs while trying to secure public funding for the Fins' future.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Fins should leave Joe Robbie stadium as well. The location is not ideal. The Fins should be playing in a stadium near Bayside. Robbie bought the cheapest land available, instead of land that is appealing.
    Demolish JRS and build more more low income apartments on the site.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    geeeee I wonder why they wanna leave lol

hmmmm
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The Fins should leave Joe Robbie stadium as well. The location is not ideal. The Fins should be playing in a stadium near Bayside. Robbie bought the cheapest land available, instead of land that is appealing.
    Demolish JRS and build more more low income apartments on the site.
    If the local Government of Miami and Florida for that matter keep dicking around Miami will not be the Miami Dolphins, they will be the [Insert City name here] [Insert new mascot here].
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Maybe UM and Shalala have a master plan.

Go with MLS stadium. Wait for MLS team to fold like last time (Miami Fusion).

UM gets its own stadium paid for partly by tax payer money and Beckham MLS.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    geeeee I wonder why they wanna leave lol

hmmmm
    didn't they lower the capacity at the orange Bowl after the dolphins left? and even in the great years when the program was possibly the best in the nation they struggled selling out. is it the venue? I think it is more than just the venue.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hawaii
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just caught Dodgers Marlins over the weekend, and it was my first time at Marlins Park! Beautiful ball park in a great location. When Robbie built Joe Robbie Stadium in 1986, it was built to be a mix use stadium with baseball which happened. The end result is the Miami Dolphins play in a total piece of garbage with the worst sight lines in the league. 400 million is not going to make over the crap location and outdated NFL stadium. How is it the Dolphins get stuck with the worst pro venue in South Florida. Cant blame the Marlins for leaving, and now the Canes.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pepperwood View Post
    Just caught Dodgers Marlins over the weekend, and it was my first time at Marlins Park! Beautiful ball park in a great location. When Robbie built Joe Robbie Stadium in 1986, it was built to be a mix use stadium with baseball which happened. The end result is the Miami Dolphins play in a total piece of garbage with the worst sight lines in the league. 400 million is not going to make over the crap location and outdated NFL stadium. How is it the Dolphins get stuck with the worst pro venue in South Florida. Cant blame the Marlins for leaving, and now the Canes.
    trust me, your stadium is better than most in the league as far as viewing the game. I only went there once but it reminded me of the old meadowlands which was perfect for football, obviously for baseball the lower level is further from the field which sucks but as long as they move them close in the renovation it will become a perfect football Stadium. You don't want what most of the new Stadiums have which are mostly boxes and mile high stadiums.
    Quote Quote