Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Stats VS. Eye Ball Test

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So it comes to subjective criteria and objective standards, for the eyeball test, the scouts have to really good, with the huge number of players to evaluate, it is very hard to compare players scouted by different persons.

Another thing missed here is the intangibles, most of the top ranked players are physical freaks, but do they have the heart and work ethnic to play the game?
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you are too Objective or Subjective it isn't good. Just like any NFL team, scouting is the best when there is balance. Balance makes a good offense, balance makes a good defense and balance makes a good scouting department, you use every tool at your disposal to make an assessment.

The quote is kinda goofy however, a light pole is not good for illumination? I don't put my light on the ground because they don't illuminate well in the grass. I also don't put them on a mile high pole, too far away. You have to use the right size pole or it makes the light highly ineffective as well.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah and why are drunks immune to the effects of illumination from street lamps? Drunks can still see right?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Yeah and why are drunks immune to the effects of illumination from street lamps? Drunks can still see right?
    Going by many a stadium experience, drunks can see better than anyone. LOL
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I've never been a fan of looking at stats extensively -- at most I'll look at QB statistics or RB/WR numbers.

For example, I was reading that Tannehill / Russell Wilson debate thread, and felt like comparing them based on each facing the winless Tampa Bay Buccs last year (where both teams didn't fare that well). *Keep in mind, I hadn't actually watched the Seattle game with my eyeballs*
    I wanted to make the case that Wilson wasn't really anything special over Tannehill since their QBR's and TD/INT's are very close, with Tannehill's actually slightly better with one less INT. However, of the 2, who won that game? Wilson in the 4th with a couple of scoring drives. In Tannehill's 4th, he got his only INT and also got a 3 and out. Not trying to spark a sentiment that Wilson's way better or anything like that, but things like momentum and timing are more important for me in evaluating a team and/or player, since it also largely dictates eeking out / rallying to wins.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Advanced stats are useful tools but they are not the end all, same as combine results aren't. It's like what Greg Cossell said when asked about how impressed he was with Clowney's pro day, "Clowney is a very athletic guy, why are we surprised that he did athletic things without pads on?". The film also doesn't tell you about a player's psyche.

But you've got to take so many things into account. What kind of system did the player play in, what kind of players did he play with, what kind of players did he play against? Those are questions that do not show up in advanced stats, and in a lot of cases are overlooked on film.

All levels go together. You need the eyeball test, advanced stats, and the various combine drills to help evaluate. But in a lot of cases, if the combine or advanced stats don't match up with the eyeball test, I'd probably go with the eyeball test
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Stats are much easier to keep in sports where an individual's stats are measurable, like batting in baseball or shooting in basketball. There are so many variables in a single down of football and most of those variables are not quantified within the stats. The stats cannot tell you what is happening on the field, but they can reinforce what you are seeing on tape.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    I'm likely beating a dead horse here. What I get from PFF, on an OL for example ,are how many snaps he played on pass and run blocking, how many sacks, hits, and hurries he gave up, an eyeball grade for run and pass blocking, and a rank of where that stands vs all others at his position based on the same standards being used.

That pretty much covers everything a fan has access to. Not perfect but, I do not know of anything or anyone better in overall player assessments. We all watch our team very closely, and not so with other teams to compare. We see the good and bad but, not all the player's plays in what they do every play. sometimes, this can be misleading in that a guy can be below average but, still better than most others at his position. It does not make him better, just puts things in an overall perspective compared to the rest of the NFL. JMO
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    That pretty much covers everything a fan has access to. Not perfect but, I do not know of anything or anyone better in overall player assessments.
    Let me ask you this: if you were a GM tasked with signing a RG, would you open up PFF and sign a RG based off of those rankings? or would you want to watch an end zone view tape of all of his snaps?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When the Jets extended Sanchez I wonder if that decision was based solely off the eyeball test, because if they based it just off stats it wouldn't have happened.
    Quote Quote