Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Stats VS. Eye Ball Test

1. -31
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People who think advanced statistics are pointless are simply those who dont understand them all. Anyone who actually understands the field of statistics will never discount their importance in ANYTHING; sports or not.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Both. In no way can I take over 10 hours a week to look at our players. For the year, that's 4 full 40 hour weeks. PFF grades are not absolute but, I know of no other source which can come close in a combo of eyeball and stats.

IMO, it makes no sense to rip them when the vast majority doing so have never seen what they offer. What I post here is only a very small portion of what they provide.
    Right, but when we see guys say we should sign Joe Tackle because he had a positive 10 grade in PFF without actually watching the guy....makes me shake my head.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Asicswrg85 View Post
    People who think advanced statistics are pointless are simply those who dont understand them all. Anyone who actually understands the field of statistics will never discount their importance in ANYTHING; sports or not.
    Its not that they are unimportant, its that there are no models out there they can get it right a high percentage of the time for football.
    Last edited by Zounds; 05-02-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asicswrg85 View Post
    If there was any magic factor for knowing everything about football, i'm sure some people would've figured it out and built teams that would win 4 or 5 championships in a row. there is a lot to be said for the eyeball test, and for using AdVanced stats, but to ignore one or put a higher emphasis on the other, is surely missing the forrest for the trees.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Right, but when we see guys say we should sign Joe Tackle because he had a positive 10 grade in PFF without actually watching the guy....makes me shake my head.
    Why? No one here has watched the guy, and it's great info. Even if anyone did, how much did they see which be better than PFF's assessment?

Let's try something here. Pick a player, any player, from last year's team. Post what you thought of that player, and I will take the time to post everything PFF has supplied, and we will compare. That sounds fair.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    If there was any magic factor for knowing everything about football, i'm sure some people would've figured it out and built teams that would win 4 or 5 championships in a row. there is a lot to be said for the eyeball test, and for using AdVanced stats, but to ignore one or put a higher emphasis on the other, is surely missing the forrest for the trees.
    Hell, all teams do both with full time staffs, who do this for a living, and are lucky to hit 50% in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Why? No one here has watched the guy, and it's great info. Even if anyone did, how much did they see which be better than PFF's assessment?

Let's try something here. Pick a player, any player, from last year's team. Post what you thought of that player, and I will take the time to post everything PFF has supplied, and we will compare. That sounds fair.
    Ive subscribed to PFF before.....been there done that. No idea where they get some of their grades from. Sometimes they get close, other times they are way off.

But what PFF supplies isnt the "advanced stats" we are talking about. Giving a guy a -1,0,1, or 2 grade for each snap isn't what people are talking about with advanced statistical modeling.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Ive subscribed to PFF before.....been there done that. No idea where they get some of their grades from. Sometimes they get close, other times they are way off.

But what PFF supplies isnt the "advanced stats" we are talking about. Giving a guy a -1,0,1, or 2 grade for each snap isn't what people are talking about with advanced statistical modeling.
    True but, their signature stats are in that category.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks

Exactly -> Burke is talking about the Metric itself
    Pastor stands up in Church from the pulpit and asks the congregation if they know what the resurrection is about? Small child in a pew puts his hands up and would like to answer, pastor asks the child to answer, Boy says "If the resurrection persists over 4 hours you have to call a doctor"
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Never did I say that one was more important, my post was for those who think statistics have zero value

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Its not that they are unimportant, its that there are no models out there they can get it right a high percentage of the time for football.
    The field of statistics is extremely new especially in regards to sports. The advancements in the laat few years alone are tremendous

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote