Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT Joel Bitonio

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know all about that article. But there's a lot of noise this time of year. I am not saying Andrews is wrong, but if you were a GM looking at drafting him, what matters is what your own doctors say, and not what a reporter finds Dr. Andrews is saying on the subject. I'd prefer an independent medical opinion on Cyrus as opposed to the opinion of someone close to the Bama program like Dr. Andrews is.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched him at the Senior Bowl, taping the practices and looking at them when I had more time. First impressions were negative. Bitonio really struggled early in the week. Not as inept as Billy Turner looked, but clumsy and ineffective.

I was admittedly dubious of him because I've spent so much time in that region of the country. The trenches aren't exactly high caliber in the Mountain West area. I emphasized that when we drafted Shawn Murphy in the 4th. You've really got to be careful. It's very easy for a marginal player to stand out in that level of competition, with so much finesse in the running game. Nevada virtually never asks its linemen to drive block out of a power set.

Bitonio grew on me later in the week. He made obvious adjustments depending on who he was lining up against. He was noticeably quicker off the snap when he faced a speed guy. The power guys gave him more trouble.

Still, I'm very hesitant to take a player like this, considering where he figures to fall in the draft. I'm a big believer that the tape doesn't provide the full story. It's easy and imperative to make the logical adjustments, regardless of what the tape indicates. In this case, Bitonio was not highly rated out of high school. Nobody was wowed by his athletic ability at an early age. He was scheduled to attend UC Davis until Nevada offered a scholarship at the last minute. Then Bitonio redshirted early in college. He's a 5th year guy from a lesser conference. Prior to the 2013 season he was on the Mountain West second team forecasts.

That's just not what I'm looking for in an early round. I want blue bloods who have been demoted, not clods who are forced up the boards. Too many premium guys could be available in Bitonio's stage of the draft. JuWaun James was heavily recruited by all the top schools, originally committing to Alabama before Lane Kiffin swayed him to Tennessee. I remember attention toward him on Canes boards before he showed no interest. It's a different position but Kareem Martin could be there. He was hotly pursued by schools like Clemson and Virginia Tech. Heck, one of my favorites, Kyle Van Noy, could be sitting there unclaimed. He was a superstar this time last year. Let the guys who fixate on recent tape and ignore the big picture be blatantly wrong, like so frequently, and have a gem like Van Noy fall into your lap. I'll throw out a name like Kirksey from Iowa. He's going to be making smart decisions and plays, whether it's on special teams or at linebacker. He's considerably better than the kid we took from Florida last year. Kirksey reminds me of an early '70s-type Dolphin.

Guys like Bitonio are fine if you get them a round or two later than projected. That's probably their rightful level anyway.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I watched him at the Senior Bowl, taping the practices and looking at them when I had more time. First impressions were negative. Bitonio really struggled early in the week. Not as inept as Billy Turner looked, but clumsy and ineffective.

I was admittedly dubious of him because I've spent so much time in that region of the country. The trenches aren't exactly high caliber in the Mountain West area. I emphasized that when we drafted Shawn Murphy in the 4th. You've really got to be careful. It's very easy for a marginal player to stand out in that level of competition, with so much finesse in the running game. Nevada virtually never asks its linemen to drive block out of a power set.

Bitonio grew on me later in the week. He made obvious adjustments depending on who he was lining up against. He was noticeably quicker off the snap when he faced a speed guy. The power guys gave him more trouble.

Still, I'm very hesitant to take a player like this, considering where he figures to fall in the draft. I'm a big believer that the tape doesn't provide the full story. It's easy and imperative to make the logical adjustments, regardless of what the tape indicates. In this case, Bitonio was not highly rated out of high school. Nobody was wowed by his athletic ability at an early age. He was scheduled to attend UC Davis until Nevada offered a scholarship at the last minute. Then Bitonio redshirted early in college. He's a 5th year guy from a lesser conference. Prior to the 2013 season he was on the Mountain West second team forecasts.

That's just not what I'm looking for in an early round. I want blue bloods who have been demoted, not clods who are forced up the boards. Too many premium guys could be available in Bitonio's stage of the draft. JuWaun James was heavily recruited by all the top schools, originally committing to Alabama before Lane Kiffin swayed him to Tennessee. I remember attention toward him on Canes boards before he showed no interest. It's a different position but Kareem Martin could be there. He was hotly pursued by schools like Clemson and Virginia Tech. Heck, one of my favorites, Kyle Van Noy, could be sitting there unclaimed. He was a superstar this time last year. Let the guys who fixate on recent tape and ignore the big picture be blatantly wrong, like so frequently, and have a gem like Van Noy fall into your lap. I'll throw out a name like Kirksey from Iowa. He's going to be making smart decisions and plays, whether it's on special teams or at linebacker. He's considerably better than the kid we took from Florida last year. Kirksey reminds me of an early '70s-type Dolphin.

Guys like Bitonio are fine if you get them a round or two later than projected. That's probably their rightful level anyway.
    Interesting comments on the Bitonio tape, because from what I've seen he does show power and I like his quick feet. I was going over the FSU film for more of a sense of relevance and he looked good to me.

Kyle Van Noy is very intriguing, seems like a 1st rd talent to me, well round and brings a pass rush- imagine him and Dion Jordan at OLB and adding James Gayle to the roatation at DE. If we go WR in the 1st and Van Noy and Ju'Wuan James are sitting there at #50 who would you take?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fininpsl View Post
    I know all about that article. But there's a lot of noise this time of year. I am not saying Andrews is wrong, but if you were a GM looking at drafting him, what matters is what your own doctors say, and not what a reporter finds Dr. Andrews is saying on the subject. I'd prefer an independent medical opinion on Cyrus as opposed to the opinion of someone close to the Bama program like Dr. Andrews is.
    Interesting point, but Dr. Andrews is a world renowned ortohopedist and has been for decades, I doubt very much that he would downplay Kouandjio's knee injury out of favoritism at the risk of his global reputation.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Andrews is close to the Alabama program because he's based out of Birmingham.

Plus he's one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Take BPA from OT, WR, MLB, and CB or S. This strategy will make you a playoff time over the first 3 rounds. FA will clean up the rest.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
    I'm officially panicking, and your scenario is what I'm afraid of. O linemen will go ahead of us, and behind us. Bitonio is getting a lot of attention.
    I know it sucks that we can't go BPA, but right now in our situation I think we need to ID the best OL for our system and just get them. That's what the Patsies do. I heard they ID Mankins in the draft as a guy they wanted and made sure they got him. I think they had to give up a pick to do it. Not saying I want to give up a pick, but if Bitonio fits our ZBS the best and Martin is not there we should just take him and not screw around.

No expert here, but the reason why I am pounding my fist on the table for Bitionio rather than Kouandijo or Moses is because I believe his versatility would allow us to put the 5 best OL on the field. Not to mention that Kouandijo has a bum knee and Moses has issues with motivation. Providing he can play OT, I suppose if Martin is there he should get the nod because he has a solid history of play and is rated higher, but if not Bitonio is a very similar player although he does need to get stronger. Another nice thing about Bitonio is his arms are 1" longer than Martin's and he is slightly more athletic. I also like that they say he plays with vinegar and has a nastiness about him.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think people get too caught up in what conference a player played in....when he faced Anthony Barr & Demarcus Lawrence on an Island he fared very well.

I see him as very similar to Zach Martin and would have no problem with him being a trade down target.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckdiesel View Post
    If we could somehow trade down and pick up Xavier Su'a Filo in the 1st and then Botonio in the 2nd, i would be ecstatic. Botonio stood out to me at the combine and i would love for us to pick him up to solidify the line.

I am with you on that one.
    It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!
    Quote Quote