Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 215

Thread: hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape...

  1. -11
    LANGER72's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2006
    Posts:
    8,850
    vCash:
    26718
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The current need on this team is a tough ILB that can stuff runs at the LOS. In this draft it is Mosely or Borland. We need to come away with one or the other.
    Mosley will likely be gone, so we need to grab Borland in the 2nd.
    Grab WR Cook at 19 and Borland with the 2nd.
    The #19 must be a play maker and someone who impacts the game IMHO.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    5,589
    vCash:
    9924
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Well once again I must disagree. Once again I must admit my lack of pedigree in this area, but I see the two players 100% opposite as you. Shazier is a VERY instinctive player who plays down hill with an attitude. Funny how you say he doesn't play instinctive and CJ does, yet Ryan has 23 tackles behind the LOS to 9 for the great CJ Mosley. Plays behind the LOS scream of reading the plays and being able to trust your instincts to get to the ball and make the play. Playing safe like CJ does too often will not translate into the NFL. The NFL is about play making ability and Shazier has it in spades, while CJ is about not over running the play and is average to below average at reacting to the play once he does read it.

    In pass coverage, I will admit CJ has a real knack for playing zone and reading the direction of the QBs eyes, but that will get him trouble in the NFL, QBs will look him off with ease. Ryan on the other hand is better in man to man coverage and makes up for any lack of recognition with aggression and speed.

    As for the size issue, Ryan Shazier will be able to easily add 10-15 more pounds on that large frame without suffering any to his speed. He plays with the rabid dog attitude that has been missing around here. CJ's "play it safe" style is not what this team needs. We need playmakers and Shazier is the definition of playmaker. Shazier's 9 ff to CJ's career of 2 shows the attitude and aggression he plays with. CJ will be a safe pick that will have a slightly better rookie year, but Shazier will have the better career, with 3x the game changing plays.

    Ireland was the king of taking the safe pick, and where did that get us? Shazier isn't the safe pick, he is the drafting for potential and playmaking ability. I will take Shazier every time.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    VCU2000's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2013
    Posts:
    135
    vCash:
    1846
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Big difference in playing against SEC competition Vs Big 10. Also Alabama plays 3-4. Its a mute point because I think Moseley will be gone top 15.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    OrlandoFin's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    1,212
    vCash:
    5189
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice write up as usual. I don't want to see a LB in round one. If one, my preference is TE, WR, CB, S in no particular order. I hope they can trade back and wouldn't be upset moving out of round one all together.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    21,505
    vCash:
    46732
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU2000 View Post
    Big difference in playing against SEC competition Vs Big 10. Also Alabama plays 3-4. Its a mute point because I think Moseley will be gone top 15.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Interesting. I think Mosley is there in the mid 20's.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2011
    Posts:
    1,094
    vCash:
    5857
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't even think shazier will be drafted in the first rnd.

    The game tape is a lot different from the highlight tape. shazier really doesn't offer much as far 3 down linebackers go.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    4,436
    vCash:
    8558
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    Well once again I must disagree. Once again I must admit my lack of pedigree in this area, but I see the two players 100% opposite as you. Shazier is a VERY instinctive player who plays down hill with an attitude. Funny how you say he doesn't play instinctive and CJ does, yet Ryan has 23 tackles behind the LOS to 9 for the great CJ Mosley. Plays behind the LOS scream of reading the plays and being able to trust your instincts to get to the ball and make the play. Playing safe like CJ does too often will not translate into the NFL. The NFL is about play making ability and Shazier has it in spades, while CJ is about not over running the play and is average to below average at reacting to the play once he does read it.

    In pass coverage, I will admit CJ has a real knack for playing zone and reading the direction of the QBs eyes, but that will get him trouble in the NFL, QBs will look him off with ease. Ryan on the other hand is better in man to man coverage and makes up for any lack of recognition with aggression and speed.

    As for the size issue, Ryan Shazier will be able to easily add 10-15 more pounds on that large frame without suffering any to his speed. He plays with the rabid dog attitude that has been missing around here. CJ's "play it safe" style is not what this team needs. We need playmakers and Shazier is the definition of playmaker. Shazier's 9 ff to CJ's career of 2 shows the attitude and aggression he plays with. CJ will be a safe pick that will have a slightly better rookie year, but Shazier will have the better career, with 3x the game changing plays.

    Ireland was the king of taking the safe pick, and where did that get us? Shazier isn't the safe pick, he is the drafting for potential and playmaking ability. I will take Shazier every time.

    I don't know much about the X's and O's of football. So, I defer to Hoops and others that know the game. But, what I can say with eye test is that C.J.Mosely looks like most of the LBs we've had around here (The Carlos Dansby, The Barnettes, The Misi, The Ellerbee etc). Big, nonathletic, take for ever to accelerate, Isolate them on a back one on one and likely they are done. It's rare to see them generate turnovers; Essentially they aren't scaring anybody.

    Now, Shazier looks like nothing we've ever had at LB and quite frankly that excites me. Because, with him, Wake, Jordan, OV on the field all at the same time....Oh yeah! That's a group thats gonna put pressure on an Offense and likely generate T/Os.

    Even if they are slightly out of position it's very likely they can recover very quickly and are more likely to cause chaos...
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2013
    Posts:
    238
    vCash:
    2298
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ANUfan, If CJ looks like Dansby, then i take him in a heartbeat.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2011
    Posts:
    1,094
    vCash:
    5857
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cangrejero View Post
    ANUfan, If CJ looks like Dansby, then i take him in a heartbeat.
    H looks more like Ted ginn than Dansby.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    21,505
    vCash:
    46732
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Van Noy is an excellent LBer too.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb cj mosley tale of the tape
    By hooshoops in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM
  2. Branden Albert . . . . . . and Ryan Shazier
    By craps in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 10:34 AM
  3. Hoops scoops...hozed
    By hooshoops in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
  4. Hoops scoops...texans dolphins
    By hooshoops in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
  5. hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish...
    By hooshoops in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •