Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The worst Dolphins draft picks — EVER!

1. -21
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Taking a tackle with the number one pick after a 1-15 season...
    With no qb on the roster...
    You take Ryan or Mcfadden or trade down..
    The last thing a 1-15 team needs is a high priced tackle

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    We've got to make HOF an honorary Crew member.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeckHOF View Post
    I want no part of induction into your sinful little get-together you have here, squatting on internet bandwith that could be used in better, more productive ways.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This thread could go on and on. One of the worse drafting teams over the last decade.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was too young to understand the Rick Norton pick but my dad didn't like it. I remember trying to pretend that I knew what he was talking about. I had to ask my friend Stuart. He told me all about the difference between college and pro, and NFL and AFL.

I guess I was behind at age 6. By 8 I pretty much knew a bunch.

Injured guys like Yatil Green don't belong on that list.

I can argue that the worst first round decision is a pick we never made. Freddie Solomon was a superior player to Delvin Williams. I knew that at the time. He was also younger at a position in which it's easier to play well into your 30s than running back. Despite all of the above, Shula gave away Solomon and a first round pick and fifth round pick plus a mediocre safety named Vern Roberson to the 49ers for Williams. Unbelievable. Until that day I still thought Shula was a genius coach, and more championships would follow. Once he made that move I sensed he had no concept of value, and that the Dolphins' heyday had already passed.

To make matters worse, our pick in the second round was a disaster, a quarterback with a pop gun arm, Guy Benjamin. I was impressed that he's already been named in this thread. Benjamin had a remarkable combination of no athletic ability and no arm.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People still busting Long's Balls when the year before we pass on A Rodgers - NO WE DIDN'T HAVE A QB Then Either - For all who still want that mediocre Matt Ryan - get some perspective - he clearly wasn't the safe pick when you are 1 - 11 and it is a less than stellar draft to begin with
    Pastor stands up in Church from the pulpit and asks the congregation if they know what the resurrection is about? Small child in a pew puts his hands up and would like to answer, pastor asks the child to answer, Boy says "If the resurrection persists over 4 hours you have to call a doctor"
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    John Avery??? Make it stop - Jimmy Johnson what a nightmare!!!! Make it stop!!!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    the annual ritual

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    in a bottle
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i remember kumerow looked promising in a couple preseason games with a few sacks. straight downhill from there though. i wanted chris speilman but the damn lions took him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rev kev View Post
    People still busting Long's Balls when the year before we pass on A Rodgers - NO WE DIDN'T HAVE A QB Then Either - For all who still want that mediocre Matt Ryan - get some perspective - he clearly wasn't the safe pick when you are 1 - 11 and it is a less than stellar draft to begin with
    Hey no one is bashing your lover..
    It isnt who is the worst dolphin ever.. Its worst pick and honestly after 1-15 you cant draft line
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2001 - Jamar Fletcher - when Drew Brees was still on the board. Rick Spielman and Dave Wannstedt believed that they had a QB to replace Dan Marino in Jay Fiedler and thought that Fletcher could be a great player (we had Surtain and Madison as our CBs at the time). These guys were worse than Ireland at the Draft process and the next 15 QBs who represented the team between Fiedler and Tannehill could have been avoided if our Draft "brains trust" (and I use that term loosely) had had a clue what they were doing. The irony of this is that Spielman learned to improve his drafting process from the Dolphin stint. Although, 13 years later, he's the Minnesota Vikings GM and they are in desperate need of a QB but Rick has expressed confidence in Matt Cassell as their starter. Maybe the Vikings can find a short CB who is stiff-hipped or maybe Rick goes QB this year?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    The two picks that made me the most angry in my years watching the draft (from '99 on) were Ted Ginn and Pat White. Pat White was worst of all. I felt like Christopher Walken at the end of The Deer Hunter.

In retrospect the two worst picks in Dolphins history were, imo, Jamar Fletcher (over Drew Brees) and Ronnie Brown (over Aaron Rodgers).

I get that guys like Eric Kumerow and Billy Millner were historic level busts but taking Derrick Brooks or Curtis Martin over Millner, for example, does not make those Dolphins teams into Super Bowl contenders.
    Billy Milner didnt have the talent to even be an NFL player. Not even a backup. He takes the award hands down. All the other guys mentioned in this thread at least could play in some capacity even thougn they didnt live up to their draft status.
    BTW, Jamar Fletcher wasnt that bad a player. He just wasnt a need at the time.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yatil Green
    Allllllright Miami!!!!

RIP Jim "Mad Dog" Mandich you will be missed, but never forgotten
    Quote Quote