Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maidana vs. Mayweather: The Craziness Begins.....

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks

Maidana vs. Mayweather: The Craziness Begins.....

Photo comparison of the gloves.....

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16908.html

Here's Ellerbe's explanation

They finally sorted it out and the fight is on....
    ~~~~~~~

The rhythm of life is a jazz rhythm.

-Langston Hughes

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Meh boxing is not really relevant anymore, Paquio vs Mayweather might have brought them into the national light but that boat has sailed
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
    Meh boxing is not really relevant anymore, Paquio vs Mayweather might have brought them into the national light but that boat has sailed
    Not true at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't follow it to a large extent. Mayweather fights especially bring in nearly double the PPV purchases that most MMA fights bring in. (again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm pretty indifferent to both)

Although, dwindling interest happens whenever you have someone as dominant as Mayweather. Do I want to pay money to watch Mayweather pummel somebody? Not really. But he still sells. Hell, I was just kicked out of a pub because they had to close and set up for the fight tonight. The place is going to be PACKED.

Side note, as a casual fan (I like watching a good fight occasionally), I really don't have a clue how the champion(s) are determined.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I stand corrected then. I just think of the golden days of Ali, Frazier, foreman etc
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    I like boxing but god I hate Mayweather would never put money in his pocket

I wish i had been around for Lewis and Tyson. I remember seeing the adverts for the fights on cartoon network as a kid lol
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
    I stand corrected then. I just think of the golden days of Ali, Frazier, foreman etc
    I think it goes through different phases. You have periods when you have several dominant fighters followed by periods where one guy is dominant by far. I imagine MMA will get to that point to, if it hasn't had it already (really don't follow either very much).

Speaking of surprising popularity (sorry for the tangent ebozzz), I was in New Orleans during Wrestlemania....I had no idea how popular it still is. The most shocking thing was how many UK fans there were that flew in to see it. Amazing.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Not true at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't follow it to a large extent. Mayweather fights especially bring in nearly double the PPV purchases that most MMA fights bring in. (again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm pretty indifferent to both)

Although, dwindling interest happens whenever you have someone as dominant as Mayweather. Do I want to pay money to watch Mayweather pummel somebody? Not really. But he still sells. Hell, I was just kicked out of a pub because they had to close and set up for the fight tonight. The place is going to be PACKED.

Side note, as a casual fan (I like watching a good fight occasionally), I really don't have a clue how the champion(s) are determined.
    Mayweather fights murder the UFC in ppv buys. Problem being that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only two dudes in the sport who can compete with the UFC. Mayweather had 2.5 million, 1 million, and 1.5 million ppv buys in his last three fights, so let's just call his average about 1.5 million ppv buys. Pacquiao's last fight netted about 775,000 ppv buys, and his two fights before that with Rios and Marquez did 475k, and one million respectively, for an average of about seven hundred and fifty thousand in his last three fights.

Here's a breakdown for ppv buys of the average UFC event:

Average PPV Buy Rate = 526,470

Average PPV with Title Fight = 605,114 (+15% over average)

Average PPV with Non-Title Fight = 385,000 (-27% over average)

Average PPV Buy-Rate Featuring TUF Coaches = 940,000 (+79% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate with Main Event Cards Affected by Injuries = 405,357 (-23% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate Featuring Heavyweight Bout in Main/Co-Main Event = 748,182 (+42% over average)

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotato...-improve-them/

Manny and Floyd combined for three fights in 2013, while the UFC hosted thirty-three events that same year. It's my understanding that the UFC has surpassed boxing in the 18-34 male demographic, and that boxing has become more of a European sport than an American one.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Speaking of surprising popularity (sorry for the tangent ebozzz), I was in New Orleans during Wrestlemania....I had no idea how popular it still is. The most shocking thing was how many UK fans there were that flew in to see it. Amazing.
    No need to apologize at all!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Mayweather fights murder the UFC in ppv buys. Problem being that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only two dudes in the sport who can compete with the UFC. Mayweather had 2.5 million, 1 million, and 1.5 million ppv buys in his last three fights, so let's just call his average about 1.5 million ppv buys. Pacquiao's last fight netted about 775,000 ppv buys, and his two fights before that with Rios and Marquez did 475k, and one million respectively, for an average of about seven hundred and fifty thousand in his last three fights.

Here's a breakdown for ppv buys of the average UFC event:

Average PPV Buy Rate = 526,470

Average PPV with Title Fight = 605,114 (+15% over average)

Average PPV with Non-Title Fight = 385,000 (-27% over average)

Average PPV Buy-Rate Featuring TUF Coaches = 940,000 (+79% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate with Main Event Cards Affected by Injuries = 405,357 (-23% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate Featuring Heavyweight Bout in Main/Co-Main Event = 748,182 (+42% over average)

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotato...-improve-them/

Manny and Floyd combined for three fights in 2013, while the UFC hosted thirty-three events that same year. It's my understanding that the UFC has surpassed boxing in the 18-34 male demographic, and that boxing has become more of a European sport than an American one.
    Boxing maybe gets a little more attention in Europe now because there are a few champions in that region now. Overall, I still think the better quality fighters are from the Americas.

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. Then you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...
    Last edited by ebozzz; 05-03-2014 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ebozzz View Post
    Boxing maybe gets a little more attention in Europe now because there are a few champions in that region now. Overall, I still think the better quality fighters are from the Americas.

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. The you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...
    Agreed! It's especially confusing for the more casual fan. I have no idea how it works. I just want to see good fights. The current system seems to do more to prevent that than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote