Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How One Single Move Changes a NFL Team

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    I think the Bully gate was going on long before the start of last season, and I really doubt that Albert would have been able to become involved in something that apparently most of the players on the team knew nothing about until it broke.

But other than that, I can see where you are coming from. The "what if" game is a slippery slope, though. The one that I always go back to is what if we had taken Brees for nothing instead of giving up a 2nd rd pick for Duante. As I remember it well over half of this board wanted Brees but we ended up missing out on what would have changed the face of this franchise for over a decade. I also remember a lot of people around here wanting Anquan Boldin when we passed on him. To be perfectly honest I think we could take the top few posters from here on Finheaven and come up with better decision makers than we have had at GM over the past 10-15 years. Some times GMs try to hard to pick someone nobody has ever heard of to show off how smart they are. It rarely works out.
    Or passing on Earl Thomas to trade down and draft Odrick and Misi.

Or passing on Patrick Willis to draft Ted Ginn.

Or passing on Daryl Washington to draft Koa Misi.

I hope we don't one day add - or passing on Luke Kuchly to draft Ryan Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    All well within the realm of possibility. Then again if we didn't sign Keller and let Reggie walk when he so obviously wanted to stay, we might have retained Fasano for more blocking and an actual red zone threat and have had a dynamic game changing potential backfield which both would have kept the Ds more honest regardless of whether or not the OL was a sieve. But even more important to me, if I had only got 5 more numbers on that huge Powerball jackpot right late last year, I'd now be sitting in a chic outdoor cafe on the Riviera across from my yacht, sipping champagne, next to an adoring Angelina Joli look-alike responding to you probably on the same tablet...but with a bigger smile on my face. That's just the way it goes sometimes - or doesn't eh?
    Vaark, your butt-fumble animation is pure genius. I mean pure, lol.

LD
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    All well within the realm of possibility. Then again if we didn't sign Keller and let Reggie walk when he so obviously wanted to stay, we might have retained Fasano for more blocking and an actual red zone threat and have had a dynamic game changing potential backfield which both would have kept the Ds more honest regardless of whether or not the OL was a sieve. But even more important to me, if I had only got 5 more numbers on that huge Powerball jackpot right late last year, I'd now be sitting in a chic outdoor cafe on the Riviera across from my yacht, sipping champagne, next to an adoring Angelina Joli look-alike responding to you probably on the same tablet...but with a bigger smile on my face. That's just the way it goes sometimes - or doesn't eh?
    The difference in this what if is that it is not necessarily a negative, which I guess no one here has bothered to consider. The same topic at Happy Hour had half of the crew saying that this was a positive, which turned into a different discussion.

Clay, without a potential Eiffert, proved to be a play maker, a VG thing. Many, myself included, believe that Jordan is going to be a star, who we would not have had. Many also believe that the change is power from Ireland to the Philbin/Hickey combo is also a VG thing.

Kind of disappointing that posters here did not look at both sides, and instead see this as a pointless, sour grapes, what if thread. Phans in South Beach saw it much differently.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    When a single move completely turns a team around, its typically the acquisition of a good QB.

For instance, take a look at the Seahawks before and after Russel Wilson became the QB. The rest of the roster was pretty much the same except Travaris Jackson was their QB.

Take a look at the Chiefs before they got Alex Smith. The rest of the roster was real similar. They were running garbage out there at QB.

Take a look at the Eagles with Vick at QB then Foles in that same position.

Take a look at the Phins when Pennington stepped in for that Lemon/Beck madness. Night and day.

Imagine what this team could accomplish if we got ourselves a good QB. The rest of the roster is pretty much loaded and ready to win.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    If I would have eaten sushi instead of Mexican food ....
    ...the dog wouldn't have been blamed for the stink.
    Jim

"A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

The Evolution of the Tannehill Booster

First Stage: Tannehill is going to be a star in this league.
    Second Stage: Tannehill is better than RGIII, Wilson, etc.
    Third Stage: Tannehill is better than some other AFC East quarterback except Tom Brady.
    Fourth Stage: Tannehill isn't the only problem on the team.

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    When a single move completely turns a team around, its typically the acquisition of a good QB.

For instance, take a look at the Seahawks before and after Russel Wilson became the QB. The rest of the roster was pretty much the same except Travaris Jackson was their QB.

Take a look at the Chiefs before they got Alex Smith. The rest of the roster was real similar. They were running garbage out there at QB.

Take a look at the Eagles with Vick at QB then Foles in that same position.

Take a look at the Phins when Pennington stepped in for that Lemon/Beck madness. Night and day.

Imagine what this team could accomplish if we got ourselves a good QB. The rest of the roster is pretty much loaded and ready to win.
    WV, in all due respect, if I were you I would start searching on google for recipes on Humble Pie and Crow for this coming year. JMO
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    ...the dog wouldn't have been blamed for the stink.
    GREAT posts by both. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Sarc Attack. lol
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yep one move can totally change a franchise....I look at the Patriots and wish someone else would have taken Tom Brady before the 199th pick. The Pats probably would have ZERO Superbowl rings, and we would not have had all the aggravation the past 15 years.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    The difference in this what if is that it is not necessarily a negative, which I guess no one here has bothered to consider. The same topic at Happy Hour had half of the crew saying that this was a positive, which turned into a different discussion.

Clay, without a potential Eiffert, proved to be a play maker, a VG thing. Many, myself included, believe that Jordan is going to be a star, who we would not have had. Many also believe that the change is power from Ireland to the Philbin/Hickey combo is also a VG thing.

Kind of disappointing that posters here did not look at both sides, and instead see this as a pointless, sour grapes, what if thread. Phans in South Beach saw it much differently.
    I hear ya, and do get the point you're making that Albert as a single player having a domino effect could have been the linchpin to a whole different season. My point indirectly was that the OL was certainly better in '12, but also there were two additional blockers in Javorskie Lane and Fasano and a dangerous game changing runningback -all of whom if we retained, even with the #28-#32nd rated OL by most analytics, could have made a major difference. Tannehill improved this past season but he didn't have the luxury of improving as noticeably as he did in '12 with a better line and then above and beyond that, a blocking and path clearing FB and blocking/red zone threat TE. Yeah, Clay has come into his own, but he's a hybrid of the two and certainly is more offensively productive but does not come close to providing the protection that our young promising QB needed. In the 20/20 vision of hindsight, the best moves aside from trading for Albert would have been retaining Reggie and Fasano. I don't think that's arguable

"Yep. Blow it up. This might the worst team I've ever seen constructed in my life.
    And then you throw in the terrible preparation and in-game coaching. There is no defense.
    But do it right. Fire everyone in the building. No survivors. , JiF Jetnation

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I hear ya, and do get the point you're making that Albert as a single player having a domino effect could have been the linchpin to a whole different season. My point indirectly was that the OL was certainly better in '12, but also there were two additional blockers in Javorskie Lane and Fasano and a dangerous game changing runningback -all of whom if we retained, even with the #28-#32nd rated OL by most analytics, could have made a major difference. Tannehill improved this past season but he didn't have the luxury of improving as noticeably as he did in '12 with a better line and then above and beyond that, a blocking and path clearing FB and blocking/red zone threat TE. Yeah, Clay has come into his own, but he's a hybrid of the two and certainly is more offensively productive but does not come close to providing the protection that our young promising QB needed. In the 20/20 vision of hindsight, the best moves aside from trading for Albert would have been retaining Reggie and Fasano. I don't think that's arguable

No argument from me, I wanted to keep both. Bush made play action very believable, and caused all defender to pause for a split second. With Fasano, the D did not know if he was staying in or going out, again that split second.

All in all IF Jordan is anywhere near the player I believe he will be, this scenario becomes a very positive move. We shall see.
    Quote Quote