Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Running Backs Round 1 - 6

  1. -21
    Digital's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    2,923
    vCash:
    8499
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I may be alone on this one, but I'm a bona fide Lache Seastrunk fan.

    I would be very happy to grab him in the 4th round. He isn't Barry Sanders or Ray Rice, but you can see a little bit of each in his play style. Seastrunk should become a good pro. I definitely think he makes the transition.

    Tre Mason will be one of the top 3 backs taken IMHO. I will not be surprised if he is the first RB taken.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    "I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve. They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day." --Joe Philbin
    - Defending the Read Option - What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    #1dolphinsfan's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2007
    Posts:
    8,132
    vCash:
    1207
    Loc:
    Nevada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sankey would be awesome in round 2
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    HoneyB's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2013
    Posts:
    1,545
    vCash:
    9474
    Loc:
    Broward County, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'll take Freeman in the fourth. Huge heart, great work ethic, hits the hole very fast, team player.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    He's a quality player. Even rated 10th, he's got everything you need. I think these smaller players just scare people. I prefer size in the NFL, also, but if you're not looking to draft a RB high, then there are backs like Freeman who can get the job done, even if it's in a rotation. Check out SB Nation, they used Freeman as a textbook example for two important abilities for running backs: a) Pass protecting b) Decisiveness and Burst through the Hole.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/3...-running-backs

    "Devonta Freeman is a skilled pass protector, and it's one of the reasons he emerged as the top dog in Florida State's talented backfield. As for burst through the hole, this is related to suddenness and first-step explosion, and can be a huge difference-maker. Florida State's Freeman again provides a few excellent examples of both concepts."


    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    HoneyB's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2013
    Posts:
    1,545
    vCash:
    9474
    Loc:
    Broward County, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by 72champagne View Post
    i don't know how anyone can evaluate the running backs from last year when we couldn't block anyone, plus we just added moreno. we have much bigger needs than rb or wr.
    Wide receivers, tight ends and running backs are the players who score touchdowns. The way I look at it, if a team can't score more than 7 points in two games, with the playoffs on the line, against their own division rivals, then something is wrong in that area. It's not just linemen. Lineman are the backbone, and we are shoring it up.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,533
    vCash:
    10284
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Tre Mason will be one of the top 3 backs taken IMHO. I will not be surprised if he is the first RB taken.
    I won't be surprised either. Makes no sense how a special talent like that can be allowed to slide. I keep seeing Mason rated 3rd to 5th among backs and wonder what I'm missing. A squat guy like that with powerful legs and a fearless pinball running style fits perfectly in the league these days. He can give you 5 carries or 25 carries or anything in between.

    I still go back to that late touchdown run against Florida State, when the best defense in the country was assigned to protect a national championship lead and Mason effortlessly ruined it. Unfortunately for Auburn, it was like their version of the Benny Malone run against Oakland in 1974. Too much. Too soon.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,533
    vCash:
    10284
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know how you left out Adam Muema.

    It's criminal if we don't draft him. That would be daily entertainment.

    Of course, he's promised to the Seahawks.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,237
    vCash:
    6968
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I won't be surprised either. Makes no sense how a special talent like that can be allowed to slide. I keep seeing Mason rated 3rd to 5th among backs and wonder what I'm missing. A squat guy like that with powerful legs and a fearless pinball running style fits perfectly in the league these days. He can give you 5 carries or 25 carries or anything in between.

    I still go back to that late touchdown run against Florida State, when the best defense in the country was assigned to protect a national championship lead and Mason effortlessly ruined it. Unfortunately for Auburn, it was like their version of the Benny Malone run against Oakland in 1974. Too much. Too soon.
    I've had a mancrush on Mason for a while now.



    I'm not quite as high on Hill as everyone else seems to be. At 6'2 he runs a bit upright; gives defenders a big target. I think he could break more tackles if he ran with a lower center of gravity, which is part of the reason I like Tre so much. I think he runs with great balance.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    HoneyB's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2013
    Posts:
    1,545
    vCash:
    9474
    Loc:
    Broward County, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I won't be surprised either. Makes no sense how a special talent like that can be allowed to slide. I keep seeing Mason rated 3rd to 5th among backs and wonder what I'm missing. A squat guy like that with powerful legs and a fearless pinball running style fits perfectly in the league these days. He can give you 5 carries or 25 carries or anything in between.

    I still go back to that late touchdown run against Florida State, when the best defense in the country was assigned to protect a national championship lead and Mason effortlessly ruined it. Unfortunately for Auburn, it was like their version of the Benny Malone run against Oakland in 1974. Too much. Too soon.
    I'd love any of these top backs. But Mason sliding was part of the evolution of these rankings. He started out as #1 but slid. Bigger players were moving up the charts. Durability is a concern, and he has a wrist fracture right now that scouts were saying will hold him out of camp...Mason said it wasn't true, he wouldn't need surgery.

    Plenty of tape showing him breaking big runs, but there's also a lot of tape showing him getting run down from behind by a linebacker, or tackled after he hit the hole. (See gif below). So some of those big runs in college may be bottled up in the NFL. If you can get a runner with bigger size, teams covet that. But who knows...there's so much smokescreen.



    The reason I like running backs like Hyde, is because he is just so dominating. The reason I like Jeremy Hill, is for the total package (size, burst from the backfield, pass protecting ability). These types of players don't have to come off the field too often. But it's up to the teams, the backs taken in this draft won't necessarily go in this order. Mason could be first off the board, or a few may go ahead of him. We'll see.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,533
    vCash:
    10284
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I'm not quite as high on Hill as everyone else seems to be. At 6'2 he runs a bit upright; gives defenders a big target. I think he could break more tackles if he ran with a lower center of gravity, which is part of the reason I like Tre so much. I think he runs with great balance.
    I've lowered my opinion on Hill somewhat. I was never thrilled with him but I preferred Hill above Hyde. Now I would have it reversed.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,237
    vCash:
    6968
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
    I'd love any of these top backs. But Mason sliding was part of the evolution of these rankings. He started out as #1 but slid. Bigger players were moving up the charts. Durability is a concern, and he has a wrist fracture right now that scouts were saying will hold him out of camp...Mason said it wasn't true, he wouldn't need surgery.

    Plenty of tape showing him breaking big runs, but there's also a lot of tape showing him getting run down from behind by a linebacker, or tackled after he hit the hole. (See gif below). So some of those big runs in college may be bottled up in the NFL. If you can get a runner with bigger size, teams covet that. But who knows...there's so much smokescreen.

    I'm not sure I would consider that getting "run down". The linebacker was pretty perpendicular to Mason on that play, and was able to disengage because #50 who tried to block him threw an absolute patty cake block.

    To me, getting run down is being ahead of a defender and that defender being fast enough to chase you down from behind. I'm certainly not arguing that Mason is a speed merchant by any means, nor do I think that's part of his appeal, I just don't think that was the best example.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Late Round Running Backs...
    By justdev7 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
  2. First Round Running Backs in the Modern NFL
    By Minnphin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM
  3. Late First Round Running Backs
    By mls737 in forum Fantasy Sports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
  4. 1st Round Running Backs
    By finsnchips in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 08:13 PM
  5. Running backs: A first-round frenzy
    By dolphan39 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •